Brant-C.

would like to know where to drop weight

i've got a diamondback mission 3 that weighs about 32+ pounds.

the wheelset is sunsingletrak with a shimano deore hub (i think) and the front is a 20 mm generic hub.

i'm thinking of getting stan's notubes ztr rims with hope 20mm front and american classic rear hub.

i've got nevegal 2.1 tubeless now and would like to keep these tires.

how much weight will i save doing this? will it be 3 pounds or less?

thanks in advance.

i weight less than 140 and would like to get the bike setup a bit lighter if possible.

bike build:
    08 stylo dual chainring
    xt cassette
    xt front der
    xt rear der
    xt shifters
    hayes hfx 9 brakes with 6" rotors
    manitou platinum fork 20mm
    sette apx seatpost
    maxm saddle ti rails
    easton ac70 monkeylite handlebar
    easton ec70 stem
    shimano 520 pedals
    sram 991 hollowpin chain (i think)
    kenda nevegal 2.1 tubeless
    sunsingletrak wheelset with generic front 20 mm & shimano FH rear hub
    odi grips
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    how much are you willing to spend??
    maybe a new fork or wheels are your best bet

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Shout before you drop the weight as you might hurt someone.As for where to drop it i would say away from anyone else or any fragile objects.Hope that helps.

Brant-C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto
    how much are you willing to spend??
    maybe a new fork or wheels are your best bet
    i willing to spend the $700 for the stan's notubes ztr wheelset if the weight savings is significant...at least 3 pounds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If you're trying to keep this bike AM worthy, I'd go with ztr arch rims. Hope pro II's would be good for the hubs also. A big place to drop weight would be the tires though. Even if you just switch to regular nevegals and use stan's to seal them, It would help alot. Kenda's tubeless nevegals are anchors. Another good place to drop weight would be the fork, it's not the lightest in the world. If you're willing to spend $700 on a wheelset, I suggest you spread the money around a little bit to maximize its effect.

Praise Bob
    Dropping weight off the wheelset is going to make the most noticeable difference to the bike, but you are going to have a hard time dropping 3lbs. Stan's/American Classic combo weighs in the 1600g-1700g range. Go online a see what the xt wheelset weighs. Where did you come up with the 3lb target? BTW you might want to post this in the weight weenies forum.

mbtr member
    Take the nevergo off the rear and put on something that rolls. Save the tire for when your front tire wears out. You might not knock off much weight, but the bike will feel faster than knocking off 3 lbs. Good luck taking 3 pounds out of the wheels. I don't see anywhere that screams extra weight.

saying you have a 'manitou platinum' is like saying you have a 'honda ex'

Seeeriously easy Livin
    are you trying to turn your bike into an xc bike? for AM the arch rims would be a good choice, and the setup you described would be around 1650 grams depending on spokes. That wheelset you have is probably 2200-2400 grams, so your going to lose 1.5-2 lbs off the wheels. dont know what fork you have but the wheels are your best wheight loss option.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Dropping weight off of wheels is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

It cuts a significant amount of weight and feels like so much more.

As for the guys who are talking about keeping the wheels... remember that you don't weigh very much. I mean, it all depends on your riding style, but I have Mavic Crossmax SL wheels on my AM, 6 inch travel bike. Yes, they are XC race wheels, but I weigh about 145 and tend to be more of a finesse rider. I.E. I'm not that hard on my stuff. I mean, I go fast, ride rough stuff, and hit good sized drops/jumps (hell I even race DH every now and again on that bike), I just pick good lines through the rough stuff rather then bashing them off everything that comes my way and to be honest those wheels are holding up better then the "AM" DT Swiss wheels that came on the bike.

Brant-C.
    oops. sorry about that.

manitou nixon platinum with IT (infinite travel adjustment) handlebar mount.

Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    Take the nevergo off the rear and put on something that rolls. Save the tire for when your front tire wears out. You might not knock off much weight, but the bike will feel faster than knocking off 3 lbs. Good luck taking 3 pounds out of the wheels. I don't see anywhere that screams extra weight.

saying you have a 'manitou platinum' is like saying you have a 'honda ex'
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brant-C.
    not really. i already have a 3 inch travel xc bike that i use to do xc races on. this bike is for trail riding that has lots of very technical stuff. i just want to get it below 30 pounds since i only weigh 140 or less. just to make it easier to push up a climb after a forced dismount.

thanks for all the replies. i'm probably going to get the regular kenda nevegals and ditch the tubeless; convert the regular kenda nevegals to tubeless; should knock off a pound or pound and a half.

then i'll have to make a decision on which rims/wheelset to go with; 355s or arch's.

thanks for all the replies...much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    are you trying to turn your bike into an xc bike? for AM the arch rims would be a good choice, and the setup you described would be around 1650 grams depending on spokes. That wheelset you have is probably 2200-2400 grams, so your going to lose 1.5-2 lbs off the wheels. dont know what fork you have but the wheels are your best wheight loss option.

Brant-C.
    well, when i'm riding the technical sections on this bike, i tend to run over anything that i think is safe. that means that i'll take a rock or tree headon without much thought.

as long as the obstacle is at or below my front hub i can usually clear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight
    Dropping weight off of wheels is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

It cuts a significant amount of weight and feels like so much more.

As for the guys who are talking about keeping the wheels... remember that you don't weigh very much. I mean, it all depends on your riding style, but I have Mavic Crossmax SL wheels on my AM, 6 inch travel bike. Yes, they are XC race wheels, but I weigh about 145 and tend to be more of a finesse rider. I.E. I'm not that hard on my stuff. I mean, I go fast, ride rough stuff, and hit good sized drops/jumps (hell I even race DH every now and again on that bike), I just pick good lines through the rough stuff rather then bashing them off everything that comes my way and to be honest those wheels are holding up better then the "AM" DT Swiss wheels that came on the bike.

Praise Bob
    After looking at your pics, I would suggest getting the following

1. Get a lighter wheelset and use the non-tubless Nevegals with sealent. It takes a while to seal the sidewalls but they will be way lighter than the UST Nevegals. You can probably drop 1.5-2lbs with both of those items.

2. Cut the excess steerer tube off the fork and lose the spacers. (save 50-75g)

3. Drop the waterbottle cage. (save 100g)

4. Thomson Post and Ti railed saddle (save 100-200g)

5 Crankbrother pedals (save 150g)

6 Lighter brakes like Juicy Carbons (200g)

Brant-C.
    holy smokes...you just did my homework for me. those upgrades hit the 3 lb mark!

thanks.

now i just have to convince the wifey.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex
    After looking at your pics, I would suggest getting the following

1. Get a lighter wheelset and use the non-tubless Nevegals with sealent. It takes a while to seal the sidewalls but they will be way lighter than the UST Nevegals. You can probably drop 1.5-2lbs with both of those items.

2. Cut the excess steerer tube off the fork and lose the spacers. (save 50-75g)

3. Drop the waterbottle cage. (save 100g)

4. Thomson Post and Ti railed saddle (save 100-200g)

5 Crankbrother pedals (save 150g)

6 Lighter brakes like Juicy Carbons (200g)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would start with new wheels Hope hubs and mavic xm819 rims ust tyres, 819 are tubless rim, and saddle and post, it should fly nicely

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ...try knocking some of the dried mud from your bike - that alone will probably decrease the weight by 3lbs. It's good to see another rider with mud and grass bunched in the derailleur pulleys and cage, caked-up knobbies, etc. It means you ride!

Maybe switching tread will give you a boost. Give High Rollers a spin; the low rolling resistance will be noticeable after you've been pushing the Nevegals for a while and the mud-shedding qualities are better too.

I've got a friend about your weight. He's built his Heckler to about 27lbs. using Easton carbon risers, an EA90 post with a Selle Italia sheet of paper for a seat. Most of us wouldn't be able to get away with the grams shaved at the bars and seat-post/saddle area but if you're only tipping the scales at a buck-forty, this may be an option as well.

mtbr member
    wow if that bike is at 32 lbs with an air rear shock and manitou nixon plat IT, im not sure you shouldnt be saving a bit more money and looking for a different frame. That is BY FAR the lightest fork over 5" of travel

I would also look at replacing the rear cassette. Its non rotational weight but it is all the way out back and its surprizing how much weight is in the lower to mid end stock. I got a new XTR off ebay for 60 bucks.

Try to remove rotational weight, then weight that is either very high or at either end of the bike. Dropping weight like the BB or crank will only be noticed when you pick up the bike.

Brant-C.
    yes, rotational weight is what i'm gonna go after. i'm going to get the nevegals and make them tubeless as opposed to the nevegal tubeless setup i have now.

then i'll tackle the wheelset.

as for the xtr cassette; i have the sram 980? or the shimano xt on it now. i just don't see putting any racing components on a bike that i don't race.

as for the frame (all 7 pounds of it)...i love this frame. i've ridden other bikes and this is one that stuck. although the specialized brand with the horst link was very likeable. regardless, until i break something on this frame, it will be my steed for trail riding.

Quote Originally Posted by socalenduro
    wow if that bike is at 32 lbs with an air rear shock and manitou nixon plat IT, im not sure you shouldnt be saving a bit more money and looking for a different frame. That is BY FAR the lightest fork over 5" of travel

I would also look at replacing the rear cassette. Its non rotational weight but it is all the way out back and its surprizing how much weight is in the lower to mid end stock. I got a new XTR off ebay for 60 bucks.

Try to remove rotational weight, then weight that is either very high or at either end of the bike. Dropping weight like the BB or crank will only be noticed when you pick up the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think the rotational weight is important but also the weight hanging on the suspension is important the less weight the easier time your shocks and forks have to perform.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    well, if you really love the design, in the future look to the Commencal Meta 55, which is where diamonback got the frame idea from. Here's a review of the newest iteration:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...a-552-09-19714