mtbr member

Worth upgrading or just keep my bike?

Hey guys, so last year I bought a brand new Giant Trance X1 2013 for 2100$, pretty good deal, and so far I really love the bike except that I got pretty much to it's limits (at least I think so) I feel a lot more confident on my bike now and would like to do more of the big stuff at my local bike trails. Last weekend there was a Rocky Mountain demo and I demoed a Altitude, wich is more of an AM bike than my Trance and damn it was a blast! Hitting the big drops and jumps was alot more fun! So, since the Altitude is a 150mm bike, I was looking for a bike with about the same travel and saw that Santa Cruz just droppped their prices and that the Heckler was about 3000$, drivetrain is a SLX and Deore brakes, pretty good deal IMO, so:

Do you guys think it's worth getting the Heckler and selling my Trance, (I still would have to spend about 500$ though) or just keep my Trance and hopefully it won't break, oh, and there, do you guys think that hitting 3-4 foot drops on my Trance would brake it? I feel like it's pretty harsh for a trail bike..
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is it a 26er or 29er?
    If you reached its limits in that you want to hit bigger drops etc, yeah it's worth thinking about a bigger bike, but although the Heckler has a bit more travel, some might argue it's a step down in suspension quality, not as efficient a pedaler as the Trance.

mtbr member
    id clean it up real good, sell it, and buy more bike. headroom only hurts the wallet
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    I think a Heckler is a downgrade from a Trance.

I would put a Pike on the front, the wimpy fork is the weak link in a trance, not the frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I DO NOT think the Heckler is a downgrade. Santa Cruz is the best at single pivot all purpose bikes. I've owned many bikes. My Heckler stands out as an all time favorite. The handling and suspension sound like just what you are looking for. Your Giant is a great trail bike. No argument there. Their warranty department has not proven to be great. IMO you will have more confidence on a Heckler. I've never heard of one breaking. Mine set up for sturdy xc is well under 30 lbs. They can be built xc light or built rock solid for all mountain. I've never had an issue with pivot bolts on a Santa Cruz either.