mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Works Headset, 44mm head tube, taper fork

Hi all,

I'm looking into getting a custom Works angle headset for my TransAm. It has a straight 44mm head tube and I'm running a Fox 36 with a taper fork.

Has anybody gone to an angle headset setup with this steerer/head tube combo. If so what is the max angle they can do?

Cheers,

Steve

PS I've emailed Work, but haven't heard back yet, so I thought I would ask here as well.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Well, they can do up to a 2* change with their stock headsets, so... Just what are you wanting to have done?

2 0 Degree EC44 - EC44 - Angle Headset

I liked the slackness of my TransAM with a Lyrik very much - and extra 2* slacker would have sucked on my local stuff.

Granted, it all depends on where and how you ride.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I think that headset combo is for 1 1/8 steerer though. I'm looking to see if its possible to have this headset made for my transam to fit my Taper steerer fork. Yeah 2 degrees is a bit much
    Mostly north shore for the transam as its my winter ride.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by ukr77 View Post
    I think that headset combo is for 1 1/8 steerer though. I'm looking to see if its possible to have this headset made for my transam to fit my Taper steerer fork. Yeah 2 degrees is a bit much
    Mostly north shore for the transam as its my winter ride.
    Got it - missed the tapered bit.

Maybe they can, but would imagine it would need a honking big lower cup to take the 1.5 lower setup AND give a decent angle change. You'll likely get a half degree slacker just for the size of the lower cup stack height.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Got it - missed the tapered bit.

Maybe they can, but would imagine it would need a honking big lower cup to take the 1.5 lower setup AND give a decent angle change. You'll likely get a half degree slacker just for the size of the lower cup stack height.
    They got back to me yesterday, and confirmed that indeed, they do have an option for the taper steerer and 44 headube. Limited to 1 degree at this time, external cups top and bottom. The stack height is really low for Works anyway (they don't uses a gimble like Cane Creek), so when they get the cups in stock in a week I'm going to go for it. I've decided to run the frame with a Revelation WC instead of my creaky Fox 36. I've found the Fox 36 just high, even spaced at 150mm. The Rev is 5mm lower A to C at 150 but is raked out more so the front end feels far better, so 1 degree should be more than enough. It's not my downhill machine;-)

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    This is great news! I had the same question as I have a 44mm headtube, I'm planning on installing a Fox 34 with tapered steerer, and want to go slacker. I emailed them today, but then saw this post.

Only thing is, I've got a monster 155mm tall head tube, so we will see if that is an issue.