Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Works Components customer service...

I ordered a 1.5 degree offset headset for my Trek Remedy and subsequently cancelled it on concerns that I didnt order the right one, and that my steerer would be too short for the external cup upper.

Works Components emailed me and cancelled the order. After a couple of emails back and forth, the CS guy asked if I'd be interested in a Zero Stack set specially machined for me. With that, who could say no, I went through with the order.

This WORKS COMPONENTS company is the tits magee! Hope they get bigger and make more mtb stuff.

Biking Like Crazy!
    I've had nothing but good service from them also!
    I had ordered 2 headsets from them and after a month I contacted them to
    see what's up. They said they were shipped 3/1/2 weeks ago. They did some leg work on their end
    as I did on my end. Long story short, they ended up sending 2 more headsets
    immediately and said if the original ones show up they would pay postage
    for me to send back. They 2nd order arrived 1 week later and the original
    order showed up about a week after that.
    Very stand up response to the shippers problem.

BTW they make an outstanding product. They make an angleset for regular 1 1/8 headtubes also.
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    BTW they make an outstanding product. They make an angleset for regular 1 1/8 headtubes also.
    Yes, most definitely. Love these guys... seriously.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    I ordered a 1.5 degree offset headset for my Trek Remedy and subsequently cancelled it on concerns that I didnt order the right one, and that my steerer would be too short for the external cup upper.

Works Components emailed me and cancelled the order. After a couple of emails back and forth, the CS guy asked if I'd be interested in a Zero Stack set specially machined for me. With that, who could say no, I went through with the order.

This WORKS COMPONENTS company is the tits magee! Hope they get bigger and make more mtb stuff.
    Did they charge you extra for that?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Did they charge you extra for that?
    no extra charge, but they did ask me to wait an extra 10 days to get it in line for the cnc.

derp
    Too bad they don't answer any emails with questions regarding their products, ended up ordering from somewhere else :|
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsilva View Post
    Too bad they don't answer any emails with questions regarding their products, ended up ordering from somewhere else :|
    Always answered my questions... not sure what happened. Email can be flaky at times.

derp
    Quote Originally Posted by dump View Post
    Always answered my questions... not sure what happened. Email can be flaky at times.
    Emailled a couple of times regarding two different bikes, no sauce. Ended up getting the Crane Creek on sale.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by dump View Post
    Ricky is a very busy man so at times, there might be a delay in his response time. But he's always gotten back to me.

I own several of their headsets and I'm very happy with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Exceptional service for me as well.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsilva View Post
    Emailled a couple of times regarding two different bikes, no sauce. Ended up getting the Crane Creek on sale.
    How's the CC's working out for you?

I know the first iterations had problems.
    Last edited by blcman; 11-18-2012 at 10:17 AM.
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

derp
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    How's the CC's working out for you?

I know the first iterations had problems.
    No issues for now but i haven't ridden it much yet cause of bad weather and since i'm moving/renovating the new house. But only time will tell.

mtbr member
    It's pretty tough to beat any CC products.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Cane Creek is a great company. Did you guys know it's the old Dia Compe? However, I do like small start ups like Works. It reminds me of the yesteryears when small companies like Grafton and Kooka made really cool stuff.

mtbr member
    Cane Creek is a great company. Did you guys know it's the old Dia Compe? However, I do like small start ups like Works. It reminds me of the yesteryears when small companies like Grafton and Kooka made really cool stuff.
    CC is still a small company.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Old school BMXer
    Cane Creek is a great company. Did you guys know it's the old Dia Compe?.
    Huh??? Where did you come up with that? Dia Compe is still in business based out of Osaka, Japan, with other manufacturing facilities in other countries.

Sure, Cane Creek may have bought the use of patents from Dia Compe (Aheadset, etc), but it's not the same company.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200 View Post
    Huh??? Where did you come up with that? Dia Compe is still in business based out of Osaka, Japan, with other manufacturing facilities in other countries.

Sure, Cane Creek may have bought the use of patents from Dia Compe (Aheadset, etc), but it's not the same company.
    as far as i know, its dia compe usa, spun out to be independent after the sucess of their invention of the aheadset Cane Creek

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Bing, I have a 2011 Trek Remedy, E2 tapered head tube and tapered steerer fork... looking to purchase a 1.5 or 2.0deg (doesn't seem available?) works components headset. Can you tell me which one I should order? I'd like to learn from your experience.

I think this is the one I should get, but I'm not sure. Works Stated spec of 16mm insertion depth for the lower cup seems... long.

1 5 Degree EC44 - ZS56 - To Suit Tapered Steerer Tube Forks

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    Bing, I have a 2011 Trek Remedy, E2 tapered head tube and tapered steerer fork... looking to purchase a 1.5 or 2.0deg (doesn't seem available?) works components headset. Can you tell me which one I should order? I'd like to learn from your experience.

I think this is the one I should get, but I'm not sure. Works Stated spec of 16mm insertion depth for the lower cup seems... long.

1 5 Degree EC44 - ZS56 - To Suit Tapered Steerer Tube Forks
    i think a tapered steerer only allows you up to a 1 degree change.

i have the -1.5 on a tapered headtube and a straight steerer. i havent really felt it inhibit my climbing. as far as descending, i feel a little foolish to say, ive been plowing down steep chunk just to test it, and its given me increased confidence on what the front wheel will go over in the steepst terrain.

over all, im ok with a 66.5 degree ha. i think 67 is more the sweet spot. i have friends who try my bike and comment on how slow the steering is. i dont feel it. due to that, im concerned that 66 maybe too slack for a trail bike.
    Last edited by bing!; 02-07-2013 at 09:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I've been using a cane creek angleset

with the -1.5deg cup... the lower cup is external so it lifts the front end (hence raises bb). I really like this bike with a 66/66.5ish deg HA. I've been able to climb well enough and it just rips on the DH.

That said, there a two things I'd like to accomplish by moving to a works headset.

1. primarily, i want the steering smoother. The cane creek binds angleset binds up. don't notice it much when riding but it is bothersome. Go to grab the bike out of the garage and the headset almost feels locked in place until you get it moving. So I welcome any angle adjusting headset that doesn't rely on gimbles and require overtightening.

2. I want to find a lower cup solution that isn't external and doesn't lift the front end. Why? I'd maybe like to be able to add a Fox 34 with higher A-c measurement... and I I think an internal cup looks much cleaner.

It sure seems like the works headset i linked to will fit the remedy. I may try to call them, sounds like a solid company and they hooked you up.

I appreciate the advice of these boards! thanks all!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast