Thread: Winter Boots...

Spice
    Dec 2008

New question here. Winter Boots...

Hey guys,

As the weather get's colder, I'm finding (as I do every year....) my feel getting colder, wetter, and cramping more during ride's.
    I'm thinking of investing in some winter riding boots, but obviously never had experience with them before. Which brands/shoe's tend to be most effective at keeping the water out?

I ride with seal-skinz, but they can't quite match the cold or handle all the water spray/rain and soon become sodden and cold on the inside.

They seem to be pretty expensive.... but I'd like to keep to the lower priced ones... around 120
    Been considering the shimano one's mainly... any thoughts or opinions on which one's work for mountainbiking....rain, big puddles, lots of reviews seem to be based on commuting and town riding!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=57564
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=31693

Cheers

Joe

mtbr member
    I love my shimano boots :http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=22311

They are better on rocks than regular mtb shoes. I bought one size bigger and use 2 pair of sockes with them if the temperature is below 0C.

The newest version of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=47344

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've been using Lake winter bicycle shoes/boots for the last 3 winters. My feet have never gotten wet. I haven't submerged my feet in water, but I have ridden through puddles and stream crossings that would have soaked my feet if I were wearing normal mtb shoes.

The Lake's aren't as warm as I would like. They are not as warm as a x-c ski boot. I wear thick wool socks with my Lake's, and my feet are OK in ambient temperatures down to about 35 degreesF. Below that, I use the chemical foot warmers. Below 25 degrees F, I switch to flat pedals and wear warmer boots. I wear the Lake's whenever it's going to be below 60 degrees F, especially if I expect conditions to be wet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Do you need to ride clipless? Not sure how cold it gets where you live, but why not just get a good pair of winter boots and ride platform pedals?

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    you have a 10% discount this weekend in Chainreationcyles, so if you want to buy them, it could be a good chance to save some money...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer
    Do you need to ride clipless? Not sure how cold it gets where you live, but why not just get a good pair of winter boots and ride platform pedals?
    +1
    Flats give you the most shoe/boot flexibility - hiking boots, feltpacks, whatever matches your weather conditions.

banned
    I often wear my nike hiking shoe,Lightweight and breathable,so I think no need to buy a special boot.you can consider it,comfortable and durable.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the info, Sorry for the late reply- internet has been down :\
    The lake boots do look good, is the one you guys using this model on crc?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=51741
    How well do they handle the cold, looks like they're more of just a waterproof as opposed to winter boot??

And yes, I ride clipless, I don't think i'll swap the pedals over to platforms.
    Alex_k, the boost you linked to look warm, but also like they'd let water in quite easily through the top.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Sorry miatagal96, didn't take in your comment when I replied! The lake's sound like they'd be a good bet, the colder rides here would be around -10 c (14f), which with seal-skinz on too should keep me warm enough, what d'you think?
    Any comparisons between the lake and shimano shoes?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by joehspicer@msn.com
    Thanks for the info, Sorry for the late reply- internet has been down :\
    The lake boots do look good, is the one you guys using this model on crc?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=51741
    How well do they handle the cold, looks like they're more of just a waterproof as opposed to winter boot??

And yes, I ride clipless, I don't think i'll swap the pedals over to platforms.
    Alex_k, the boost you linked to look warm, but also like they'd let water in quite easily through the top.
    The Lake boot that you want to check out is the MXZ302.

≈ > ♥
    ...seal-skinz ...
    Cheers

Eww. Neoprene socks don't breath at all. You'll be warm, but your feet will be swampy...

I own the Shimano Goretex winter boots, and have friends with the Lakes. Both have worked for us down to colder than -20C, no problems. Just a matter of buying half a size or so bigger than normal, and running wicking/breathable layers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim
    Eww. Neoprene socks don't breath at all. You'll be warm, but your feet will be swampy...
    I hear ya on that so I took my neoprene socks and cut the fronts off. This works really well for keeping the toes warm without the swampy. Have not tried in the ~30deg temps yet but great in the ~40's with a good pair of winter socks. Toes are happy again...

Spice
    Dec 2008
    As long as I wear a trainer liner sock on the inside they don't get swampy, as the liner absorbs any sweat. But that's until the water gets in...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Anyone see good deals on the aforementioned Lake boots? bikeman.com wants $219 - it's the cheapest I found.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I ride with seal-skinz, but they can't quite match the cold or handle all the water spray/rain and soon become sodden and cold on the inside.
    You don't wear socks under them?
    I always put mine over smart-wool, they stay nice and toasty.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerett
    You don't wear socks under them?
    I always put mine over smart-wool, they stay nice and toasty.

Yup, I do, that's what I said in the post above ^^^
    It's just until the water get's into them when there's heavy rain or very wet trails that they become a problem

ronbo613
    Check this thread out. Riders in the PacNW have to deal with wet and cold conditions most of the year.