Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Go ride your bike

Wife is worried about my safety, time for a new bike!

I'm in a quandary and I'll try to provide enough info without posting a novel.

I have a Large 2010 Giant Reign 2 that I feel has been a good bike but there are a few things I don't like about it (Avid 3 brakes, uncomfortable when climbing, and I feel like I easily blow through the rear suspension and it limits my riding). All these things can be fixed with upgrades and I was planning on trying to do so. That is, until my wife told me that a guy she knows was riding, crashed, and punctured his stomach somehow with the bars!!!

Come to find out, the guy was on an older model Reign and she has now encouraged me to get a different bike that I feel more comfortable on. So now I am looking for a bike that is an aggressive AM, or possibly even a freeride bike, that will climb "adequately" but descend and drop like a mad man! (I know, who doesn't want this in a bike, right?)

Quick riding info: I do peddle up-hill a lot, but only to come back down! I do frequent small drops on my trails with a max drop of about 5 feet (I don't do this drop on my Reign anymore for fear of breaking it). I come from a motocross racing back ground and I enjoy hauling ass through some singletrack and hitting some decent sized drops, jumps, and gaps. However, I also don't mind climbing for the exercise.

Anyway, I've narrowed my options down to these:

1) Buy/Build a Santa Cruz Nomad.

2) Buy/Build a Giant Reign X.

3) Buy/Build a Canfield The One.

I haven't ridden a Canfield before but I've heard only good things about them. I only assume that these options won't limit my riding based on using at least 150 mm fork and a coil rear shock. Any suggestions or opinions are welcome to help me make my choice easier and thank you in advance!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Life is risk,I'd rather chose the chances I take then let fate rule entirely,embrace risk it's your friend!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffard View Post
    (I don't do this drop on my Reign anymore for fear of breaking it)
    That sounds more conducive to preventing handlebar impalement than a new bike that gives you the confidence you need to launch off more ****. But hey if the wife thinks a new bike will be safer I'd have to agree with her as well.

Go ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbaSS View Post
    That sounds more conducive to preventing handlebar impalement than a new bike that gives you the confidence you need to launch off more ****. But hey if the wife thinks a new bike will be safer I'd have to agree with her as well.
    lol true, but I'll do that drop whether I have a new bike or not. I won't do it with my current Reign set-up, I'd have to do some upgrades. I should also mention that the drop has a good landing so it's not like I'm dropping to flat.

I'll risk the injury for the thrill, I've broken bones and crashed before and it hasn't stopped me yet. My main concern is getting a bike that fits my riding style. Unfortunately, the Reign is not set up for what I ride and now I have the opportunity to get the right bike, whichever it may be.

That's where I need some advice and opinions to discover the pros and cons of the bikes I am interested in based on my riding style.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Biffard;8430143]I'm in a quandary and I'll try to provide enough info without posting a novel.

I hate to throw another bike in mix, but have you thought about the Banshee Rune? I'm able to pedal uphill as fast if not faster than buddies on their 4-5 inch travel bike, and when it comes time to go down this bike inspires so much confidence it's unreal, it just rips!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    This reminds me of the time my husband and a friend were riding. The friend did a face plant in a rock garden and did major damage (broken nose, lots of blood, lots of stitches, and plastic surgery to reconstruct). In the ER, my husband told his wife that he wouldn't have gone over the bars if he had a 29'er.

Have fun shopping! Check out Ibis as well.

mtbr member
    take your wife out to a nice dinner first then go shop for your toy. it'll be worth a few upgrades on your soon to be new ride!
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member

Good Friend....

Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    This reminds me of the time my husband and a friend were riding. The friend did a face plant in a rock garden and did major damage (broken nose, lots of blood, lots of stitches, and plastic surgery to reconstruct). In the ER, my husband told his wife that he wouldn't have gone over the bars if he had a 29'er.

Have fun shopping! Check out Ibis as well.
    We should all friends that are wise and look out for us.....

mtbr member
    I doubt the Reign is going to brake given what you're riding. I'd doubt even more a Reign X would, although I wouldn't expect the difference in the ride between the two of them to be life changing.

mtbr member
    I have a Canfield One, get it its a very good bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My wife won't let me get a new bike so clearly she hates me and wants me to die.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

Go ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    I hate to throw another bike in mix, but have you thought about the Banshee Rune?
    I just researched this bike and I haven't really looked into it before. It seems like a solid rig and a reliable one at that. Unfortunately there aren't any dealers in my state (Utah) so I won't be able to test one as easily. The Rune has also replaced the Reign X on my list.

As of now it's out of the Nomad, Rune, and One. Thanks for bringing the Rune to my attention.

Go ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
    My wife won't let me get a new bike so clearly she hates me and wants me to die.
    Hey brother.... (Buster is the bomb!)

I'm sure some wives love their spouses so much that they don't want to see them get hurt. On the other hand, some wives love their husbands so much that they want their husbands to be happy and enjoy their hobbies. Mine just happens to be the later. She's the best wife I could have ever hoped for!

mtbr member
    do you check your linkage bolts often?
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

Go ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    take your wife out to a nice dinner first then go shop for your toy. it'll be worth a few upgrades on your soon to be new ride!
    Absolutely! I might even take her to the mall after dinner and let her have a little shopping spree of her own! She deserves it.

mtbr member
    I thought I would look into this bike real quick as a future mini dh, and found this impressive video.
    Canfield Brothers "one" suspension. - YouTube

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    do you check your linkage bolts often?
    Well, I'm on a hardtail. She once removed my front brake rotor without my knowing though.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

mtbr member
    If you want your ride to descend like an avalanche and then be able to turn it around and let it climb like a billy goat, get the Canfield's One.

But beware, it may cause a little jealousy and even create rift in your relationship because it does have those sweet smooth lines, the nice slack seductive angle's. And when your just about to fall asleep for the night you'll hear it call "come and ride me, you know you want too".
    Last edited by bigcrs; 09-09-2011 at 06:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey brother.... (Buster is the bomb!)

I'm sure some wives love their spouses so much that they don't want to see them get hurt. On the other hand, some wives love their husbands so much that they want their husbands to be happy and enjoy their hobbies. Mine just happens to be the later. She's the best wife I could have ever hoped for!
    I loved the looks of the One when the newer version first came out untiil I saw how low the bottom bracket is in 160mm mode. My Banshee Spitfire has a low bb but not as low as the One in 160mm mode. But at the price of a Canfield One frame it opens up a lot of options on nice bikes. Mojo HD. Tuner 5spot. Yeti SB66 although its new. At the Canfield One frame price point your options are limited only by your imagination and prefernce. Tons of great bikes out there

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tell her it's either fit me or fat me. Which one do you want, for life and sex?
    agmtb

Go ride your bike
    After about a week of research and stopping by several LBS to do a few test rides, I've decided to go with a SC Nomad. The affordability and comfort were the high points for me. I didn't get to test a Canfield One but with a frame that costs $2,500 I shy'd away from it. I figured I could use that extra money to do any upgrades to the Nomad. The Rune was nice but wasn't readily available in Utah due to no dealers in my state. While they do work with you to get you a bike, it seemed like a hassle and I don't want to wait extra time if something where to break and I didn't have a reliable dealer to go to.

Thanks for the opinions and advice. I'll start looking for frames and will hopefully start building this up in the off season!

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    The Reign is a great bike... trying to figure out what you dont find right with it? Set up, and dialing in the fit it sounds like. If you have the means and the go ahead for a new ride then go for it i guess, just be ready to do the same things to it.
    Whats this line for?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ronabrandt View Post
    The Reign is a great bike... trying to figure out what you dont find right with it? Set up, and dialing in the fit it sounds like. If you have the means and the go ahead for a new ride then go for it i guess, just be ready to do the same things to it.
    I do have to wonder if OP was adjusting the settings on his suspension when he rode it.
    OP, where you?

The Nomad won't necessarily be a cure-all for this.

My Monarch R on my bike can suck if I "turn it all the way to rabbit" and turn down the compression resistance. Same with my Lyrik U Turn forks by RockShox. A two foot drop to flat ground could make them top out since I weigh nearly 210 pounds all geared up for a longish ride. I'd blow through plenty of little bits of terrain and the ride might just kind of suck-so I turn up the resistance on it greatly.

Admittedly, I am not fond of Elixir 3 brakes. But at a great length I do agree with he whom I quoted-you might just run into problems with the Nomad too that can be avoided.

mtbr member
    I'm in a quandary and I'll try to provide enough info without posting a novel.

I have a Large 2010 Giant Reign 2 that I feel has been a good bike but there are a few things I don't like about it (Avid 3 brakes, uncomfortable when climbing, and I feel like I easily blow through the rear suspension and it limits my riding). All these things can be fixed with upgrades and I was planning on trying to do so. That is, until my wife told me that a guy she knows was riding, crashed, and punctured his stomach somehow with the bars!!!

Come to find out, the guy was on an older model Reign and she has now encouraged me to get a different bike that I feel more comfortable on. So now I am looking for a bike that is an aggressive AM, or possibly even a freeride bike, that will climb "adequately" but descend and drop like a mad man! (I know, who doesn't want this in a bike, right?)

Quick riding info: I do peddle up-hill a lot, but only to come back down! I do frequent small drops on my trails with a max drop of about 5 feet (I don't do this drop on my Reign anymore for fear of breaking it). I come from a motocross racing back ground and I enjoy hauling ass through some singletrack and hitting some decent sized drops, jumps, and gaps. However, I also don't mind climbing for the exercise.

Anyway, I've narrowed my options down to these:

1) Buy/Build a Santa Cruz Nomad.

2) Buy/Build a Giant Reign X.

3) Buy/Build a Canfield The One.

I haven't ridden a Canfield before but I've heard only good things about them. I only assume that these options won't limit my riding based on using at least 150 mm fork and a coil rear shock. Any suggestions or opinions are welcome to help me make my choice easier and thank you in advance!

I actually would just upgrade what you got. THe 2010 Reign is a great bike.

1) Get yourself a set of Hope M4 brakes from CRC
    2) PUSH that rear shock you got. I sent my coil DHX 5 and air RP23 to PUSH for some work, and both shocks came back and made the ride REALLY sweet. I had the DHX5 on my Nomad, while it is still more plush than the Blur LT with the RP23, the Blur LT still handles all terrain with ease
    3) Get yourself a Rockshox Reverb
    4) Maybe a sweet wheelset with tubeless tires

These mods should make your Reign ride better than most new bikes you can buy off the market!

Go ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I do have to wonder if OP was adjusting the settings on his suspension when he rode it.
    OP, where you?

The Nomad won't necessarily be a cure-all for this.
    I understand what you are saying and you are correct, but I am hoping that building a Nomad will allow me to dial it in to my liking. The Reign itself has been a good bike and overall I've enjoyed it. Most of my problems could be solved with upgrades but I have an opportunity to get exactly what I want with a new bike build. If it wasn't for my wife giving me the go ahead to get a new bike, I would keep the Reign and upgrade parts on it.

All geared up I come in about 190 lbs, 180 without gear. When I first bought the Reign the shop owner set the shock (Fox Float RP2) to my weight and sag settings and I immediately felt that is was way too soft for my liking. Unfortunately the cure for that at the time was to put more air into it. I'm currently running it at 235 psi. While that helped with the feeling of blowing through my suspension, my small bump compliance sucks.

I have looked into pushing the shock but the suspension isn't the only thing I dislike on the Reign. My model doesn't have the 1.5 HT (not a big deal but the trend seems to be that the newer bikes do and probably for good reason), the Juicy 3 brakes are strictly "meh", my front rim (stock) has a nice bend in it from my last trip to Moab about a month ago, and there are other things but they are minor and personal preferences.

I could probably beef up the Reign to my liking and maybe that would solve all my problems? But by the time I did that I should have just bought a Reign X. I think part of my problem is I'm trying to ride a stock AM bike while my riding style is more geared towards light FR/DH. But I can't justify buying a DH bike because I have to climb to come down. I know, I'm hard to please.

Thanks for your advice and I hope that helps you understand my situation a little better. Any other suggestions are welcome since I am trying to gather as much info as possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast