Thread: The widgit??

Quote Originally Posted by have2ride2day
    I ran a 30t for a while. My old knees and the steep climbs around here have determined that 1x9 is not for me. But, while I was running it, it was great. I have some very jaw rattling descents around here and never had a problem with the chain dropping. I also set it up fairly easy with an e13 Supercharger. I just used washers (in place of chainring) to shim the bashguard to the 104 bcd spot. Also, the reason I liked it is because it ended up between the granny and middle ring spots. I never liked the chainline running 1x9 from the middle ring spot. When going to the big cog in the back I could just here the cassette grinding.

btw, I'd probably sell my 30t black Widgit with only 3 or 4 rides on it if anyone is interested.
    How much?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

The widgit??

Anyone seen these, http://www.widgit.com.au/ noticed them today in the adverts around the site.
    What are peoples thoughts and opinions?

They market it as "developed for XC and AM use. It is not recommended for Downhill use" but I'm not sure how many XC riders would only want a single chain ring for climbing and bombing the flats. Also why not for DH? when every DH bike I know uses a chain guide and single ring setup, does it not work well with big impacts if not then why bother?

Overall it looks a bit useless to me.

mtbr member
    Looks like a chain guide/chain ring combo.

Downhill riders don't typically use 28, 30, 32, or 34T chain rings. They use 36 - 40T.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    I was interested in one of these for my Blur LT because of the lower linkage clearance issues. But I'm not sold on the fact that it bolts to the granny ring spot. It sets up the ring in an odd position somewhere between the granny ring and middle ring. It seems like it would do weird things to the chainline. Maybe with an adjustable crankset like a Race Face this could be compensated for?

wuss
    It ends up between where the granny and middle ring would be, IMO it gives quite a good chainline. My only personal criticism is the lack of a bash ring, and having to spend an hour with a drill and a dremel to accommodate one. The material on the "chainguide" is pretty soft, just show it an obstacle and it bends even without a big hit.

I ride in pretty uneven territory making a bash ring mandatory, hence out of the box I would categorise the widgit as a xc device, but the best way to get a 28t single ring in the front...

greedy
    I ran a 30t for a while. My old knees and the steep climbs around here have determined that 1x9 is not for me. But, while I was running it, it was great. I have some very jaw rattling descents around here and never had a problem with the chain dropping. I also set it up fairly easy with an e13 Supercharger. I just used washers (in place of chainring) to shim the bashguard to the 104 bcd spot. Also, the reason I liked it is because it ended up between the granny and middle ring spots. I never liked the chainline running 1x9 from the middle ring spot. When going to the big cog in the back I could just here the cassette grinding.

btw, I'd probably sell my 30t black Widgit with only 3 or 4 rides on it if anyone is interested.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by gambisk
    Anyone seen these, http://www.widgit.com.au/ noticed them today in the adverts around the site.
    What are peoples thoughts and opinions?

They market it as "developed for XC and AM use. It is not recommended for Downhill use" but I'm not sure how many XC riders would only want a single chain ring for climbing and bombing the flats. Also why not for DH? when every DH bike I know uses a chain guide and single ring setup, does it not work well with big impacts if not then why bother?

Overall it looks a bit useless to me.
    tell that to adam craig. damn is that guy out of the loop.

mtbr member
    Oh come on, Adam Craig's really a cyborg and you know it.

OT: What are the advantages of that over an MRP style 'mech cage on arm' or the various seat tube mounted chain keepers? It just looks like a heavy and weak way of doing that to me.

usually cranky
    true, craig is a cyborg. hasnt weir been known to go 1 x 9 or ss too? anyway as i understand it the widget will give you a better chain like than simply removing rings from a triple.

wuss
    Advantages:
    -Chainline
    -Ability to run smaller then 32t chainring

But for the price I don't think I'll get another one.

Urban Ninja
    If I was gonna spend that kind of money I'd just buy a G2 guide

mtbr member
    May 2010

Liked 1x10, disappointed in Widgit

I'm catagorizing it as not for trail use... had a red 32T widgit for about 2 months... looked sweet as hell. 1x10 with a 32T up front and a 36T cassette was perfect for my use... seldom needed a lower gear, and the fact that I didn't have one helped make me stronger. I did, however, need to tweak the chainline with spacers, both on the cassette and at the chainring.
    The aluminum "bash" guard of the Widgit didn't hold up to it's first minor encounter with a log... it bent horribly outward. About two miles later, while doing a power-wheelie drop off a curb, the stainless chainring buckled under the torque, ending my ride and forcing us to call a buddy's wife to pick us up. I've yet to hear back from the dudes at Widgit regarding warranty questions, tho I'm not sure I'd trust it as my only gear if they chose to do the right thing and replace it. I've already ordered a 26/36/bashguard from Blackspire and remounted (reluctantly) the front derailleur and shifter. I've had 44T aluminum chainrings fair much better from much worse encounters from much harder obstacles.