mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Wide Rims - Tyre Choice?

Hi Guys,

I have just got a set of the new Ibis 741's. They are 41mm external and 35mm internal. I set up my current tyres on these wheels; magic mary fr, hans dampf rr. The hans dampf works really well with the rim and makes a nice profile, however the magic mary is a different story. It becomes way to square, and the 2.35 tyre actually measures 2.5 when on this rim.

My theory is that more rounded profile tyres are probably going to work best on super wide rims. Does anyone have any experiences or recommendations for what tyres they have tried on super wide rims?

I am interested to know what works, but also to know what doesn't work so I don't make the same purchasing mistake.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Check with Ibis.

mtbr member
    I have only used high roller 2 2.35 The derby rim only made the tire 2mm wider than a Stan's flow. So far im happy riding them here in New England, but I would like to try some thing lighter and skinnier
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    WTB Vigilante 2.3 front,a really great tire for all conditions. just mounted a Geax Goma 2.25 on rear, after one ride so far I like.

Long Travel Lover
    The Spesh 2.3 tires (butcher, GC) work really well on the Derby's. I'm on the 29ers so only 35/29 outer/inner dim. Certainly curious about the Ibis superwide wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I second the Specialized Butchers. Work awesome on a 35mm wide rim. I know scott nicol of ibis was running Maxxis Minions. I have a Specialized Purgatory on the rear and I like it but don't love it on the wide rims. Almost becomes too rounded. I also find that tires like the Maxxis Ikon work really well on wide rims. Despite there low profile knobs they become traction monsters.