mtbr member
    Apr 2016

whyte and trail advice please

I am looking at a used Whyte bike for mostly unsuitable for motors tracks and canal paths.
    I have tried a 529 2017 bike and it fitted well in medium. I did however feel it a little large in the wheel department. ( I sold an Orange clockwork prior to the cannon dale ) I am 5,11” and 32” inside leg.
    I have just sold a 20” cannondale as it was too big. I want a short reach if possible due to a bad back.

Now, to the Whyte knowledgable. Can you explain the differences between the 801 and 901? Also, I am told the sizes changes in 2016? Does that mean I need to look at a small frame pre 2016?
    I know the 8 and 9 series are 27.5”. Will this be a disadvantage for what I want to use it for?

Sorry for the questions but all the reviews say the 901 is “the bike” every year, but they keep changing the geometry.

mtbr member
    The 900 series is their flagship trail ht range. They usually have more features and their latest geometry, plus better forks, wheels etc. 2016 & 2017 models share the same geo but the latter has boost front and rear (can fit wider tyres) and different cable routing. No way to mount a front deraileur on the '17 models.

2015 901 was ~2cm shorter in reach compared to the '16 &'17 but came with a 2cm longer stem. If you like shorter (read normal) bikes, that's the one you want.

The 2016 and older 800 series looked uninspiring to me with enty level components and middle of the road geometry (68.5 head tube angle, normal reach). This changed in 2017, they basically copied the geo from the 900 models but designed around a 120mm fork instead of 130 and of course cheaper componentry. They also released shorter versions of the 800 models named "compact" targeted towards shorter males, women and teenagers. They are identical apart from colorways and a few mm's of top tube.

I have one of their hardtails and love it. It's long on both paper and reality, but it actually rides great.

Edited to add: If you tried a medium 529 and like the fit, a medium '16-'17 901 should feel good too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks. If i was looking as old as 2014, were thet dramatically different?

mtbr member
    Can't remember really, but I think you'll find reviews of almost every year of the 901/905 on bikeradar.com.

They were always designed to ride on the fun side of things, that's for sure.