dig
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Whyte 46 - DUC32 or Fox 36?

I am about to purchase a Whyte 46.
    I'm an enthusiastic 50 year old (6ft/14stone)who enjoys climbing, sometimes carrying the bike (eg. Lake District highstreet route)so lightweight is important. I am too old/sane to take major risks with fast/mega downhilling so will I notice the duc32 is not as stiff as the fox 36? I also prefer to do my own maintenance.
    Should I buy the Maverick or the fox fork?
    If you've any experience, what are your thoughts?

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by dig
    I'm an enthusiastic 50 year old (6ft/14stone)who enjoys climbing, sometimes carrying the bike (eg. Lake District highstreet route)so lightweight is important. I am too old/sane to take major risks with fast/mega downhilling so will I notice the duc32 is not as stiff as the fox 36? I also prefer to do my own maintenance.
    I've owned 3 Fox 36s (Van & TALAS) and liked them a lot, very stiff and damping is pretty good. But I prefer the Rockshox Lyrik over any of my 36s, much better damping, maxle is the bomb, just a sweet fork.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Maybe consider a 07 Marzocchi All Mountain 1 SL

With the choice between the two I would go Fox.

dig
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    please can I have your reasoning behind your recommendations, ie hearsay, personal experience, etc

Amphibious Technologies
    please can I have your reasoning behind your recommendations, ie hearsay, personal experience, etc
    Not sure if that was directed at me but mine is from personal experience. I try to only comment on stuff I have experience with.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

BOSS TYCOON
    Oct 2006
    maverick is the fork for climbing with. Any other fork out their with the same travel will weigh about a pound more. DUC's aren't as flexy as people like to say they are, the duc is the best all day fork. It can take anything as long as it isn't above 5feet.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    What about a Rock Shox Lyric? Coil or air options, both with travel adjust features (though they differ from coil to air) 160mm down to 115mm. Not super light, but not super heavy either. Great damping, and standard 20mm axle size rather than a goofy 24mm.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    My thoughts: I don't like that the DUC uses a propritary hub. It does have the advantage of being much, much lighter. If weight is a big concern, and you want do try somthing exotic, the Pace RC 41 Fighter is worth looking into. It's .5# heavier than the Mav., but still about 1# ligher than the 36. I've got a 36 Vanilla, and it's a fantastic fork. If you aren't quite as concerned with weight, and just want a solid, reliable fork, I'd go with either the 36 or a Lyric coil.

mtbr member
    I've had good luck with my Mav. No leaking issues and no flex whatsoever (but I'm a lightweight)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The maverick's are very easy to work on, that may be a bonus, light weight as well. I'm not familiar with the whyte frame? link or details?

Busted!!!
    I have the DUC32 on a Fisher Cake DLX. The fork works well. I weigh about 210-215 with gear. With the tall crown, and 90mm x 25.4mm stem, the entire fork assembly weighed in at 1928g or 4lb 4oz. So that would be your max weight for comparison purposes.

I serviced the fork, and changed the oil to a 10wt, left the 5nm spring in, and run the shims in stock position. I also put 80# in the dampner cartridge, and 90# in the air chamber. This allows for good climbing and a very stable descent rate. It eats small bumps and rock gardens up now, but doesnt have the big hit absorbtion it does with more air in the chambers. It does seem a little soft on slow drops, but I tuned more for a plusher high speed compression (Long rock gargens on descents). The rebound was also slowed with the 10wt oil. I found the 5wt never let the rebound be as slow as I wanted it. I think for a more blanced setup, and as my speed and skill increases I will go back to a 7wt oil and a little more air to compensate for the increased speed and impact. Currently there isnt much more than a 3 foot drop on the local XC trails, so I havent experimented with the big hit resilience of the fork.

As far as stiffness, I have not noticed any lateral or rotational flex. It gets pounded through some nasty rocks at decent speeds and it has not felt or acted flexxy at all. I have had other frame/fork combos that really deflected under heavy braking, and I havent seen any with the maverick.

The proprietary hub has been a sore spot with me. I was troubled by having to have a wheelset built instead of simply being able to pick up a mavic crossmax set. In the end, I found that No Tubes stocked the hubs, and I had a set built by them. Only 1 ride but damn I like them. Extremely Rigid and alot lighter (20 oz)then my previous set of mavic x823 and Maverick hub, and Bonty Race lite TLR Disc rear.

the maintenance is simple, adn can be done wit ha good set of mechanics tools. Someday I will look into purchasing a set of tools from maverick to make the job alot easier and more precise. Tuning you can get away with A set of allen keys, a couple big wrenches, air pump, oil, large syringe, a roll of paper towels and your front wheel.

Good luck on your new build.