Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Whyte 46: Anyone riding this bike?

This looks like a great possibility for a light AM rig. They don't get a lot of playtime here in the states... but what can you tell me about them? I think there's some guys from the UK on the board who ride them. Give me the goods.

Durablity, stateside dealers, etc? It looks like it would have a pretty quiet drive train with that high swingarm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Check out

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    This looks like a great possibility for a light AM rig. They don't get a lot of playtime here in the states... but what can you tell me about them? I think there's some guys from the UK on the board who ride them. Give me the goods.

Durablity, stateside dealers, etc? It looks like it would have a pretty quiet drive train with that high swingarm.
    The Marin Attack Trail. Same suspension designer did both. While I was helping a friend shop for her new trail bike (she got a 575), she test rode the Marin at the LBS and liked it. Plus, for $2500 this deal on the Marin is smoking for the spec!
    http://www.bobs-bicycles.com/catalog...roducts_id=405

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    OK - I live here in the UK and these are/were all the rage, as the guy (Jon Whyte) who designs them is UK born and bred - so all the press support these bikes, they had about a million column inches of reviews.

I personally don't own one, so bear th.at in mind. But I will try to summarise what I recall from a large number of reviews, from a variety of mags (from AM to DH)......together with my limited ride time on one.

Generally - nice bikes. Long travel XC for sure rather than Freeride if you like. Probably the only 30lbs 6" bike out there. As a package deal, they are very well finished with UK-centric kit (and the press here are fiercly loyal to UK brands, Hope etc....) and they are well suited to UK riding (relatively low speed, technical, lots of climbing, no lifts) and the XC crowd love then as they are not "wallowy" like a big bike with super soft suspension set ups.

There are some characteristics to the ride that stand out, and were immediately noticable even on my ten minute ride. The BB is sooooooo high you feel like you are climbing on the bike, and that you are a million miles in the air. This does give good pedal clearance, but also lousy balance/high speed stability. Personally - this is it's worts feature IMO, but thats a personal thing.

The suspension is not linear in feel, with a distinctly VPP-type feel rather than, say, a Horst Link bike. They do climb really well. They do not appear to give as much grip going down as a HL bike.

The fork is probably also a love/hate item. They are MEGA-light for a 6" fork, but the are noodle-soft. You can feel the bike pull to one side with the front brake on hard, and you can see the whole thing twist. Compared to a Fox for e.g., you feel like the thing could break - but it won't. However, it's MEGA light - for XC type riding is't ideal and the front end of the bike feels soooo nice and light. The wind-down feature also aids climbing.

People seem to like the "big-gripper" rear dropouts, good and stiff. The frame is not that stiff, but is strong enough. Package is not back value for money all round. Everyone in the UK loves/raves about Conti Gravity tyres and Hope brakes (with goodridge lines).

My opinion - Pros - good for XC, light, perfect all day ride for people who like to ride, not jump/race. Negs - too high off the damn ground/unstable at speed/steep geometry, the fork (which apparently also leaks a fair bit too), I hate the Hope brakes and Conti tyres (and I have used both extensively).

All round, IMO, good for someone coming from a 3" bike, who is XC orientated. Fantastically fast by comparison to a 3" bike.Not wallowy, climbs like a mountain goat, light as hell. Not for people who thrash DH, jump a lot, like to ride a bit of north shore/pull manuals/ride drops.To you, this will feel like a noodle and you will break things.

I think that's a balanced representation of what was said about the bike all round. Bear in mind for UK riding, they have lifetime bearing warranty, loads of mud clearance, good weatherproofing etc, all of which makes a lot of difference to a lot of people here. Personally I ride a low-BB, super stable Spesh Enduro with a 36, which is not as fast uphill, but would thrash the White downhill. Personal taste.

Hope this helps.

www.derbyrims.com

It's my top choice for 6 inches now

I rode the Marin Wolf Ridge without platform shock with same Tara-Quad suspension (the curving top tube style looks like the only difference with the 46, and the spec fork difference). I've test ridden a number of 6 inch type bikes now, this one is the most versatile for climbing and handling adjustment. It's designed for use with the simple early 2000 Float air shock, no need of platform or firm compression for stable pedaling and handling. A call to the Marin tech support about a year ago revealed they ride with a DHX Coil but you've got to be careful to spring the DHX Coil not too soft due to the falling rate linkage deep in travel. I think a Roco would allow you to adjust much more rising rate and no platform for much better bump performance without sacrificing climbing efficiency.

I like the Whyte Tara Quad (Wolf Ridge) performance effects more than the Intense 6.6. I hear the Nomad handles better with it's slacker angles but I didn't like the VPP suspension stiffening feedback when climbing, but I'm probably over sensitive to feedback compared to younger harder riders.

Longer travel Horst link gives up too much without firmer damping. Low monopivot, ICT, and Specialized FSR are most dependant on shock design for hard climbing efficiency in tradeoff of bump compliance. This Whyte design bike is solid climbing without firm damping but sucks up bumps while pedaling hard without the stiffening feel.

You can get a pretty good build for about $2000 from Adrenalinbikes.com and they can swap some components and custom spec with a low base frame price. I speced one out figuring I'd be swapping my Nixon and Hope Bulb wheels putting the lighter Float fork and WTB/Mavic wheels on my Tracer. I was really close to buying it in February but I put an SL link and the Nixon on my Tracer and itís a major change Iím enjoying a lot now.

I've since ridden the MKiii recently and it's superb pedaling quality without platform, like Horst link but more stable pedaling with buttery pedaling even into sharp bumps, even better than the Hollowpoint pedaling and braking. There's going to be a DW-Link Iron Horse 6-POINT AM type bike with about the same frame weight as the Whyte (about 7.5 lbs with RP3) next fall (probably later). DW is testing prototypes now with planned '07 model. And then there's the coming Ibis Mojo, low priced full builds or frame only, stupid light, stiff and plenty of tire clearance, 5.5 pound frame with RP3 and 5.5 inch DW-Link big bearing suspension. I saw the final pre-production prototype and it's really Mercedes finish quality with very solid looking engineering (it uses an Intense rear deraillieur hanger).

If it werenít for these two coming options, I'd buy the Wolf Ridge and coil suspend it.

I'm most interested in very efficient climbing with fast damping, butter pedal bump compliance, lighter weight (to 30 lbs max with coil suspension), quality downhill handling. The wish list is in this order: Mojo, 6POINT, Wolf Ridge, 575. I'll stick with my 4.5 inch Tracer (with SL link and Nixon Elite) before any other AM offering for now. After test riding the 6.6 recently I've lost all interest in VPP for my uses, VPP is optimized for the big ring and pedal jacks too much in the smaller rings in my opinion. But over the top hard climbing riders would probably prefer VPP to anything except DW link with the same travel.

- ray

CAK
    Reign Rider

But you left one bike out...

I test rode a ton of bikes when I was looking to replace my 5" single pivot bike. I went down to Adrenaline and rode the Attack trail. Test rode a Nomad, 575, 6.6. my brothers MKIII. All the bikes were great on my list and all ride within 9/10ths of each other but the one bike that left a lasting impression was the Giant Reign. Excellent pedaling and crazy smooth bump absorption at the same time. I can roll over a 6" curb and not feel a thing, no bucking- just a nice thump thump. I can also drop her into granny and pedal up anything. The rear end of this bike just grabs like crazy going up. But the biggest difference I notice with this bike was going down loose sketchy rutted rocky trails. The back end just follows every nook and cranny, great breaking bite. I'm really surprised more people in the 6" bike market aren’t looking at this bike more. And mine isn't very heavy considering I could shave allot in the weight department (probably 1.5 to 2lbs) with a lighter wheelset and crankset. The reign is a serious 6" travel bike.

Parts Spec:

* Frame Size & Color: (Small)16" Silver
    * Fork: Manitou Nixon Elite, Travel Limiters Removed
    * Brakes: Hayes Mag Ti
    * Cranks: Race Face Ride XC
    * Front Derailleur: LX
    * Rear Derailleur: XT
    * Pedals: Time Attack
    * Stem: Tompson 90x5
    * Handlebar: Easton EA70 Monkey Light
    * Seatpost: Tompson Elite
    * Saddle: WTB Stealth Ti
    * Bottom Bracket: Race Face Isis
    * Cassette: XT
    * Headset: Aheadset
    * Grips: WTB
    * Front Tire: Spec'd Resolution Pro 2.0
    * Front Rim: Alex DP20
    * Front Hub/Skewer: DT
    * Rear Tire: Spec'd Resolution Pro 2.0
    * Rear Rim: Alex DP20
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: DT
    * Weight: 31 lbs

Last edited by CAK; 04-27-2006 at 11:37 PM.
    I'd Kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

mtbr member
    I'm in the UK and I've resently got a 46
    still on a learning curve at the moment but I'll give the best info I have so far,
    firstly I come from an XC background though riding 4" F/R travel bike sub 25lbs (prior to this I raced MX),

yes they are pretty damn light,they look heavy but your amazed when you pick one up,
    claimed weight is 28lbs,the old bathroom scales say around 29ish so probably about right,
    the b/b height is high, some tests noted it and loved it others commented on it regarding slow speed stability,personally can't say I've even noticed it though I now never clip my pedals whilst cornering,you can fit the alpine link which lowers the b/b height and slackens the head angle if this style is more suited to you,the alpine link got rave reviews,

climbing grip is unbelievably good,better than my XC rig (which has a dig in suspension setup),obviously not so fast but quick enough,

still getting used to the suspension and trying different settings but its light years ahead of what I'm used to (or tested),bit like a magic carpet ride, its so smooth you tend to look for the rougher lines just to see if takes it (so far it has),

I do alot of single track as well an it dealt with that better than the xc rig,very sharp handing at speed,

for a monocoque frame its pretty quiet,still get a bit of chainslap even with the high s/arm

5 year warranty on the frame,lifetime warranty on all linkage bearings,
    Fox RP3 shock come with Whyte's lifetime pivot bearings also,

6" travel front and rear but you can reduce this on the fly to 4" F/R,never found the need to use this option and many say they should do away with it,on the fork I think it could be handy to keep for those very steep climbs,
    biggripper great idea a little fiddlerly on the r/der side but okay once you get the hang of it,
    the new for 06 seatpost clamp is another clever idea,doesn't squeeze the frame,Easton rates it highly for there carbon posts,

sizing is important with these,normally I ride a large but the medium was the best for me,

also remember US spec Marin's are different to UK spec Marin's,different geometry etc and Whyte's are different to them both though they share the same designer,Jon Whyte ex Bennetton F1 suspension guru to M schumacher when he become F1 world champ,he took up mtbing literally to save his life (F1 stress),

As for tests the UK mag's do rave about them but I really do not think they are bias,they just say it as it is,remember here in the UK were famous for putting ourselves down,but search on the net you will find tests from New zealand Australia etc all very positive,

in the UK with its top line spec it pretty cheap compared to other rigs
    for the US I think it would be uneconomical to import one though ATB sales do supply Whyte's to the US according to there website.
    http://www.atb-sales.co.uk/index1.html

Sorry I can't give more info only done 150miles on it so far but I love it.

My 46's spec

Whyte46

Frame Size & Colour: Medium/silver (polished look)
    * Fork: Maverick DUC32
    * Brakes: Hope M4's 200/180 floating rotors
    * Brake lines: Goodridge
    * Cranks: 06 XT
    * Front Derailleur: 06 XT
    * Rear Derailleur: 06 XT
    * Pedals: Eggbeaters
    * Stem: Maverick intergrated adjustable length,100mm/110mm
    * Handlebar: Easton monkeylite carbon O/S
    * Seatpost: Whyte (going to change to Easton EC70 carbon) retained by Whyte's Getta-Grip system
    * Saddle: SDG Ti railed
    * Bottom Bracket: 06 XT intergrated
    * Cassette: 06 XT
    * Headset: Canecreek S2
    * Grips: Whyte lockon's
    * Front Tire: Continental vapor kevlar bead 2.3 though I'm using 2.1
    * Front Rim: Mavic X717 Disc
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Maverick with 24mm axle
    * Rear Tire: Continental vapor kevlar bead 2.3 though I'm using 2.1
    * Rear Rim: Mavic X717 Disc
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro with Ti freehub,Whyte biggripper axle system
    * Weight: 28lbs
    * Travel front: 6" adjustable to 4" on the fly
    * Travel rear: 6" adjustable to 4" on the fly
    * Rear shock: Custom Fox RP3
    * R/suspension type: Whyte Quad link,intelligent wheel path system http://www.whytebikes.com/whyte/index.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 856er; 04-28-2006 at 07:44 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ChamMTB
    OK - I live here in the UK and these are/were all the rage, as the guy (Jon Whyte) who designs them is UK born and bred - so all the press support these bikes, they had about a million column inches of reviews.

I personally don't own one, so bear th.at in mind. But I will try to summarise what I recall from a large number of reviews, from a variety of mags (from AM to DH)......together with my limited ride time on one.

Generally - nice bikes. Long travel XC for sure rather than Freeride if you like. Probably the only 30lbs 6" bike out there. As a package deal, they are very well finished with UK-centric kit (and the press here are fiercly loyal to UK brands, Hope etc....) and they are well suited to UK riding (relatively low speed, technical, lots of climbing, no lifts) and the XC crowd love then as they are not "wallowy" like a big bike with super soft suspension set ups.

There are some characteristics to the ride that stand out, and were immediately noticable even on my ten minute ride. The BB is sooooooo high you feel like you are climbing on the bike, and that you are a million miles in the air. This does give good pedal clearance, but also lousy balance/high speed stability. Personally - this is it's worts feature IMO, but thats a personal thing.

The suspension is not linear in feel, with a distinctly VPP-type feel rather than, say, a Horst Link bike. They do climb really well. They do not appear to give as much grip going down as a HL bike.

The fork is probably also a love/hate item. They are MEGA-light for a 6" fork, but the are noodle-soft. You can feel the bike pull to one side with the front brake on hard, and you can see the whole thing twist. Compared to a Fox for e.g., you feel like the thing could break - but it won't. However, it's MEGA light - for XC type riding is't ideal and the front end of the bike feels soooo nice and light. The wind-down feature also aids climbing.

People seem to like the "big-gripper" rear dropouts, good and stiff. The frame is not that stiff, but is strong enough. Package is not back value for money all round. Everyone in the UK loves/raves about Conti Gravity tyres and Hope brakes (with goodridge lines).

My opinion - Pros - good for XC, light, perfect all day ride for people who like to ride, not jump/race. Negs - too high off the damn ground/unstable at speed/steep geometry, the fork (which apparently also leaks a fair bit too), I hate the Hope brakes and Conti tyres (and I have used both extensively).

All round, IMO, good for someone coming from a 3" bike, who is XC orientated. Fantastically fast by comparison to a 3" bike.Not wallowy, climbs like a mountain goat, light as hell. Not for people who thrash DH, jump a lot, like to ride a bit of north shore/pull manuals/ride drops.To you, this will feel like a noodle and you will break things.

I think that's a balanced representation of what was said about the bike all round. Bear in mind for UK riding, they have lifetime bearing warranty, loads of mud clearance, good weatherproofing etc, all of which makes a lot of difference to a lot of people here. Personally I ride a low-BB, super stable Spesh Enduro with a 36, which is not as fast uphill, but would thrash the White downhill. Personal taste.

Hope this helps.
    I own an Attack Trail in the US. Here is what I think of the design:
    1. Def. more of an long travel xc/light fr - I ride mine hard 4'+ drops here in the us at 250lbs and it soaks everything up. I usually ride in 5" mode. With a bike at 30lbs, I couldnt ask for much more, and asking for more would be asking to break something. Not the only 30lb 6" bike out there, but a damn good one, especially for the price point.
    2. For the rocky austin area terrain, I love the high bb. LOVE not smacking my pedals all the time. I havent noticed a real trade off in center of gravity. High speed stability is good. Steeps can be a bit twitchy, but that is all personal. I climb to get to the fun stuff,
    3. Bike climbs great. Seriously better than my i-drive before it. I never use the lockout, as the suspension is good enough and the terrain here is too rocky to lockout on the climbs!
    4. Suspension feel: Cited as not linear above. This adjustable suspension ahs the following characteristics: 4"= rising rate, 5"= linear, 6"= falling rate. The DHX coil would be a good option, especially in 5" or 5.5" - I do NOT notice a difference in climbing prowese b/t the settings. I have yet to bottom out the shocks in 5" mode. And I am heavy.
    5. Suspension class: def. VPPish - it has a floating pivot point. It is very nice, with a good bit of bite for the climbs. Takes square edge hits well. I like it.
    6. No special dropouts on this bike- the newer brit version has them i think.
    7. monoque=noise amplification. despite high swingarm, chainslap is still there. a bit noisier than my other bike, but sooo worth the tradeoff. still quite enough that I sneak up on deer on teh trails!

All in all, def a great performing light fr/ long travel XC bike. If you want FR, get something burley like a quake or preston or something. The difference b/t this frame and most fr frames is about 3lbs. That is a 40% increase in the amount of metal holding the bike together!

As for your riding a Spec Enduro w/ a 36 - Definitely two completely different bikes built for different purposes. You seem to have researched this whyte design a fair amount and have chosen what is best for you. From my viewing, the enduro is sweet, but at 38lbs for a new build and slack geo, not fitting for 18mi backcountry riding that is good climbs with lots of limestone ledges and rocks. To each his own.

I have to say for someone who doesn't ride the whyte regularly, you know your stuff- overall nice evaluation!!!

Happy Trails!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    6. No special dropouts on this bike- the newer brit version has them i think.
    together!

!
    UK 06 Marins don't have the biggripper dropouts,
    could come down to production volumes,Whytes are relatively a small volume manufacturer.

Whyte's explaination on the quad link system.

Whyte’s supremely efficient QUAD-Link system is built around an intelligent four bar linkage giving unbeatable lightweight, longterm performance to the E-5 and the 46.
    Fundamental to the QUAD-Link system is the intelligent wheel path. Early on in its travel the wheel moves back as well as up, encouraging the suspension to lift the wheel smoothly over roots and rocks. Further through the travel the wheel-path moves forward towards the BB, optimising chaingrowth to eliminate bobbing and pedal feedback. Combined with the intelligent wheel-to-shock ratio, the result is a sublimely efficient system that delivers fantastic small bump response, phenomenal traction and lightning responses to rider input.

We only use Full Compliment radial bearings in Whyte suspension pivots. These bearings are designed specifically for high load, low rotation speed applications - rather than the more commonly used wheel bearings which are designed to work effectively only when they are spinning at a high speed. All our pivot bearings are double sealed with a viscous Molycote grease which keeps out the grit and grime found on every UK trail. This unique bearing system will give a lifetime of super-plush, stiction free performance, which promises low cost of ownership and peace of mind. All our pivot bearings are guaranteed for life so you won’t ever have to worry.

Chaingrowth occurs when the distance between the centre of the bottom bracket and the centre of the rear wheel increases during rear suspension movement. Too little chaingrowth will make the suspension bob and cause the wheel to lose traction. Too much chaingrowth will cause the bike to rise on every pedal stroke and transfer the shock of any big bumps through the transmission to the rider – this is known as pedal feedback. The QUAD-Link system has been designed to optimise chaingrowth for maximum efficiency throughout the suspension travel, generating enough early on in its travel to pull the wheel into the ground providing fantastic traction over small to medium sized bumps. Further through its travel, the QUAD-Link’s chaingrowth gradually reduces to zero, virtually eliminating pedal feedback.

Shorter links are faster to react, lighter and considerably stiffer. This gives the Whyte QUAD-Link system definite advantages: the high speed at which the links can move allows rapid controlled shifts in the IPC; and we can place the links outside the wheel area which allows us to bolt right through the links with a single bolt – this is a considerably stiffer method of construction than having links either side of the wheel.

The Instantaneous Pivot Centre (IPC) and its movement during the suspension travel determines the suspension characteristics of the bike and, therefore, how it responds to terrain and rider input. Whyte’s intelligent system constantly adjusts its IPC. So no matter where the suspension is in its travel the IPC is in the optimum position, providing maximum suspension performance and pedalling efficiency.

Most suspension bikes drive the shock off a rotating linkage with a fixed pivot centre. This has the effect of making the shock movement proportional to the wheel movement throughout the travel. With the QUAD-Link system the shock is driven directly off the swingarm. This allows us to tune our shock to move proportionally less early in the travel, making the suspension incredibly sensitive. As the wheel moves through its travel the wheel to shock ratio decreases, preventing the bike from blowing through its travel.

By allowing the wheel to move backwards early in its travel, the QUAD-Link system’s ability to respond to square edged bumps is unparalleled. Even the smallest bump activates the suspension, keeping the wheel in constant contact with the ground and improving traction.

About one-third of the way through the travel, the wheel’s arc returns toward the bottom bracket, optimising chaingrowth and virtually eliminating pedal induced feedback.

Following Whyte’s straightforward approach of form follows function the QUAD-Link system has clean, symmetrical lines. No unsightly braces or complex, bolt-on devices. The totally balanced, symmetrical assembly gives uncompromised handling – very important when you’re pushing a bike to the limit.
    Last edited by 856er; 04-28-2006 at 07:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Putting on alot more miles and starting to get to grips with the setups etc now with the 46,
    Quad suspension very plush through the first part of the stroke
    you can just sit and pedal all day and barely notice whats going on underneath you,

flicking in to propedal does make a difference but I found it only of benefit on smooth terrain
    or roads (sometimes you have to use these to get to the trails),

fully opening up the shock made for a very smooth ride on a fast tricky desents,
    shock fully open and off some jumps (around 2-3') still never bottomed out the shock
    which made a nice change,
    the quad link ramping up the shock at the end of the stroke seems to be the reason for this,very smooth transmission through the stroke though,pretty seamless,

past bikes had interupted seat tubes, this with a full length seat tube is great,tackled some near vertical decents and being able to drop the saddle made life so much more reasuring,
    must get some pic's

forks have impressed me but it feels a little over damped on compression,apprently you can swap the shim stacks around to cure this so may do this soon,

Climbing grip (which I've previously mentioned) is outstanding,really can't emphasise this enough,

200mm Hope M'4s on the front but I can't get it to pull to the left (as has been mentioned)no matter how hard I try
    if anyone's do I can only think its a fork fault ? maybe a problem with the hub axle in the dropouts,forks very stiff fore and arft so can't see flex there causing it,anyway mine's fine and thats all that counts

Geometry is pretty XC bias and you notice this on how well it copes with single track,fast steering with a 69.3 deg head angle,you can add the bolt on alpine link which lowers the B/B by 10mm (just under 1/2") it also relaxes the head angle and seat angle by 1 deg,
    very good reviews and owners comments,ideal for those who are a little more freeride/decent oriented,

Sizing is tricky, large has a 23 3/8" (593.9mm) top tube and stem adjustable (110mm/120
    mm)
    medium has a 22 7/16" (570.5mm) top tube and adjustable stem (80/90mm I think),

tested and bought the large (I'm 6'1") but after a while felt abit too stretched out , I was lucky I had a cosmetic issue with the frame so swapped it out for a medium but kept the longer stem, also as the headtube is shorter on the medium they also supplied the required upper fork crown,all this under warranty collected and supplied in 48hrs
    the medium also has a lot more standover height,

I'm having a little trouble with ghost shifting on the front rings,dropping from middle to small ring on some certain hits,gonna have to fettle with this,
    paint on 04 and early 05 models was quite an issue, the 06 seems to be coping very well no chips yet despite riding some loose stoney terrain, new paint colour IMO is much nicer
    and a what appears a nice thick clearcoat lacquer,

an occasional annoying rattle from shifter cables in there guides,think some O rings in there will sort it,
    a little chainslap but much less than other bikes I've ridden/owned with low chainstays,s/arm paint work still unmarked from the chain,

as turns out from my experiance perfect bike if you don't like pushing your bike at all,
    enjoy fast single track and like staying seated and plowing through whatevers in your path,like fast technical decents,and take the occasional big hit,

Not for big jumpers, Freeriders and extreme D/H er's etc,

but as an everyday all day rig its perfect.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 856er
    Putting on alot more miles and starting to get to grips with the setups etc now with the 46,
    Quad suspension very plush through the first part of the stroke
    you can just sit and pedal all day and barely notice whats going on underneath you,

flicking in to propedal does make a difference but I found it only of benefit on smooth terrain
    or roads (sometimes you have to use these to get to the trails),

fully opening up the shock made for a very smooth ride on a fast tricky desents,
    shock fully open and off some jumps (around 2-3') still never bottomed out the shock
    which made a nice change,
    the quad link ramping up the shock at the end of the stroke seems to be the reason for this,very smooth transmission through the stroke though,pretty seamless,

past bikes had interupted seat tubes, this with a full length seat tube is great,tackled some near vertical decents and being able to drop the saddle made life so much more reasuring,
    must get some pic's

forks have impressed me but it feels a little over damped on compression,apprently you can swap the shim stacks around to cure this so may do this soon,

Climbing grip (which I've previously mentioned) is outstanding,really can't emphasise this enough,

200mm Hope M'4s on the front but I can't get it to pull to the left (as has been mentioned)no matter how hard I try
    if anyone's do I can only think its a fork fault ? maybe a problem with the hub axle in the dropouts,forks very stiff fore and arft so can't see flex there causing it,anyway mine's fine and thats all that counts

Geometry is pretty XC bias and you notice this on how well it copes with single track,fast steering with a 69.3 deg head angle,you can add the bolt on alpine link which lowers the B/B by 10mm (just under 1/2") it also relaxes the head angle and seat angle by 1 deg,
    very good reviews and owners comments,ideal for those who are a little more freeride/decent oriented,

Sizing is tricky, large has a 23 3/8" (593.9mm) top tube and stem adjustable (110mm/120
    mm)
    medium has a 22 7/16" (570.5mm) top tube and adjustable stem (80/90mm I think),

tested and bought the large (I'm 6'1") but after a while felt abit too stretched out , I was lucky I had a cosmetic issue with the frame so swapped it out for a medium but kept the longer stem, also as the headtube is shorter on the medium they also supplied the required upper fork crown,all this under warranty collected and supplied in 48hrs
    the medium also has a lot more standover height,

I'm having a little trouble with ghost shifting on the front rings,dropping from middle to small ring on some certain hits,gonna have to fettle with this,
    paint on 04 and early 05 models was quite an issue, the 06 seems to be coping very well no chips yet despite riding some loose stoney terrain, new paint colour IMO is much nicer
    and a what appears a nice thick clearcoat lacquer,

an occasional annoying rattle from shifter cables in there guides,think some O rings in there will sort it,
    a little chainslap but much less than other bikes I've ridden/owned with low chainstays,s/arm paint work still unmarked from the chain,

as turns out from my experiance perfect bike if you don't like pushing your bike at all,
    enjoy fast single track and like staying seated and plowing through whatevers in your path,like fast technical decents,and take the occasional big hit,

Not for big jumpers, Freeriders and extreme D/H er's etc,

but as an everyday all day rig its perfect.
    thanks for the write up !

banned
    [SIZE="7"]DORKMOBIILE DELUXE![/SIZE]

UK riders are pure gomers, and the Whyte proves it. if you can find an overcomplicated frame that works poorly but looks like some shadetree engineer's wet dream, the UK gomers will be all over it, and will dress it up with highly expensive parts and tell their friends all about its details.

don't ask about the ride quality. that's irrelevant. the Whyte is all about the pose.

mtbr member
    And you talk total shite Gonzostrike.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosPirahna
    And you talk total shite Gonzostrike.
    your bogtrotting use of the word "shite" reveals what you're full of.

you're just upset that your Emperor Whyte's new clothes are NAKEDNESS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    [SIZE="7"]DORKMOBIILE DELUXE![/SIZE]

UK riders are pure gomers, and the Whyte proves it. if you can find an overcomplicated frame that works poorly but looks like some shadetree engineer's wet dream, the UK gomers will be all over it, and will dress it up with highly expensive parts and tell their friends all about its details.

don't ask about the ride quality. that's irrelevant. the Whyte is all about the pose.
    LOL, over complicated what are you 12 ,

must ride single pivot everything else is too confusing ,

nice contribution to the thread THANKS sure everyone must now be so well informed

by your comments,someone who's never seen one let alone ridden one ,

brilliant you just confirmed to the moron's out there that think those in the U.S are self
    obsessed and anything else is of no interest,well done .

P.s no offence ment to any U.S citizens of normal rational comments,we've got our own
    idiots as well .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    your bogtrotting use of the word "shite" reveals what you're full of.

you're just upset that your Emperor Whyte's new clothes are NAKEDNESS.
    Ummm thats the best you can come up with,
    bloody hell you are 12.

mtbr member
    He (Gonzo) has'nt got a clue about the British scene, which probably has more varied styles of riding than anywhere else.
    I'm not getting upset because I ride a Yank bike , its Gonzo who has a totally uninformed view of the scene over here. The Whyte is a very, very capable Long travel lightweight XC bike.

mtbr member
    I have owned many bikes over the years... nothing comes close to the versatility of the Whyte 46 for an All Mountain bike... Which is probably why it was named ‘Bike of the Year’ for two years running in the UK. And no, it is not the same as a Marin – similar in some respects but a different beast. Have a close look at the quad suspension links and front fork.

I did a 24hr 2 weeks ago running the rear at 4inches during the day and 6inches at night ... though the front was 6in all the time except on the steeper twistier uphills where with a quick flick of the wrist I had 2in less bar height and 2degress more head angle... my bike weighed 28lbs... I could have got it lighter with skinny tyres etc...
    this thing outclimbs my old hardtail on anything but butter smooth trails. Grip is astounding on the uphills. And nothing in an All Mountain bike beats it down the hill – the 6in forks are amazingly plush and I have ridden most every other fork though admittedly a triple clamp DH fork leaves them for dead.
    The front hub has a thru axle. The fork is has two massive cross bars. If anyone says it is not stiff they must be comparing it to a World Cup Boxer. I ride with a club. We swap rides as you do - the Maverick is by far the stiffest fork in the XC set. When we get to a Fox 36 with a thru axle there is some comparison – but the 36 is another half pound or more. The Mav is much more usable though. The height adjustment can be done in qtr second on the fly. The amount of adjustment is amazing. True you do have to change rebound oil, negative springs etc. But at least they are available and easy to do at home. And once done it is no longer touched.

The Whyte frame is stiff as... it is a welded monocoque! hell guys, to get the same strength in Easton Tubing the frame alone would weigh dam near 9lbs. A welded monocoque is what F1 race cars use – expensive yes, but light and stiff.
    I run the Alpine Link instead of the standard shorter black link. This lowers the BB height to the same as a SC Nomad so it is definitely not weird in that respect. My head angle is 68 deg at 6in and 70 deg at 4 in.

What other bike can you run at 4in in a twisty XC race then get the big tyres and tubes, bump it up to 6in and bomb some downhill. If you really wanted to get serious you could have a 2nd set of wheels with heavier rims (it comes with Mavic 717’s). It is by far the strongest frame in that weight class and with a thru axle in the front and a 20mm Big Grippers at the rear axle a very strong setup.

Obviously all this good stuff does not come cheaply. But another way to look at is: how much is a 4in XC racer and 6in All Mountain bike?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Panda
    And no, it is not the same as a Marin Ė similar in some respects but a different beast. Have a close look at the quad suspension links and front fork.
    nice write up - but what do you mean that it is not the same suspension design? Fork is a fork - not part of the Quad Link.
    The rear shock placement, pivot points and rear axel path all appear to be the same as the Marin quad tara.
    Please correct me if i am wrong, and I just might be on this issue.

mtbr member
    nice write up - but what do you mean that it is not the same suspension design? Fork is a fork - not part of the Quad Link.
    The rear shock placement, pivot points and rear axel path all appear to be the same as the Marin quad tara.
    I think what he means is the quad-link setup is slightly different in its locating positions to Marin's,not sure myself if thats correct, I'll have to put them side by side on a linkage simulator one day,and I think he's also just pointing out that the Whyte was designed to use the Maverick DUC 32 fork,apparently Jon Whyte and the owner/designer of Maverick (his name for some reason escapes me at the moment :blush2: ) met each other and had great mutual respect for each other hence the Whyte ended up with DUC32 forks in 04.

Ride on
    Jan 2004

one clarification

My understanding is that the Marin and Whyte rear ends are identical. But Whyte does spec a linkage fork on some of their bikes, which is considerably different than standard telescoping models.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunfodder
    My understanding is that the Marin and Whyte rear ends are identical. But Whyte does spec a linkage fork on some of their bikes, which is considerably different than standard telescoping models.
    The linkage fork PRST bikes are no more,
    New Whyte E-5 model instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Panda
    Obviously all this good stuff does not come cheaply.
    Impressive review. I rode a Marin Quad link a couple of years a go at interbike and was quite impressed. It seemed plush and efficient. The only thing that rolled over square edge bumps better was the Maverick.

So.... What does the 46 cost in Yank money?? And are there any Whyte dealers in the US?
    Last edited by KRob; 05-03-2006 at 11:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby

I like the Whyte Tara Quad (Wolf Ridge) performance effects more than the Intense 6.6. I hear the Nomad handles better with it's slacker angles but I didn't like the VPP suspension stiffening feedback when climbing, but I'm probably over sensitive to feedback compared to younger harder riders.
    Nice review. Anything else you didn't like on the 6.6, Ray? I'm about to pull the trigger on one but before I ordered I thought I'd research the 46 a bit after remembering my demo on the quad link suspension . Nice ride. I did notice the pedal stiffening just a bit once or twice on the 6.6... but it didn't bother me. I really liked everything else about it.... except the chain slap noise in the rough stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by derby
    There's going to be a DW-Link Iron Horse 6-POINT AM type bike with about the same frame weight as the Whyte (about 7.5 lbs with RP3) next fall (probably later).

- ray
    Where can I find info on the IH 6 Point? Do they have anything on their website?

thanks.

mtbr member

Plenty of US dealers

Click here
    http://marinbikes.com/bicycles_2006/...m_dealers.html

FWIW MBA did a review this month of different trail bike suspension designs and the Quad-link scored very well again, being edged out by the VPP on the Blur. Yeah yeah I know MBA is not the most respected mag but considering Marin spent $0 in advertising with MBA it says a lot about this underrated design.

www.derbyrims.com
    Nice review. Anything else you didn't like on the 6.6, Ray? I'm about to pull the trigger on one but before I ordered I thought I'd research the 46 a bit after remembering my demo on the quad link suspension . Nice ride. I did notice the pedal stiffening just a bit once or twice on the 6.6... but it didn't bother me. I really liked everything else about it.... except the chain slap noise in the rough stuff.

Where can I find info on the IH 6 Point? Do they have anything on their website?

thanks.
    I didn't take a long ride on the 6.6 and it wasn't in very rough terrain. But I've test ridden so many bikes now I can get a pretty quick sense of the balance compared to the superb balance of my Tracer. I wanted back on my Tracer after just a few minutes on a Blur on rough Moab trail. I imagined the longer travel 6.6 wouldn't jack the pedals as much but it's really not much different. I like pedal bump compliance, not increased pedal resitance from bumps. Also the handling was too quick with a 5.5 inch Nixon fork and the rear squated in corners more than the Nixon. I went back for more air pressure in the rear shock to get it up to 1/3 static sag and the cornering compression rear squat imbalance wasn't much dfferent and the handling was even quicker. The Nomad has slacker angles and should handel better unless you like tip toe handling. I'm exajurating some and more time with the bike could dial it in closer to a good balance. But it seemed like you'd need a 7 inch fork to have good higher speed rough downhill trail handling without hanging way off the rear of the bike. You are a lot strong and lighter rider than me so the feedback may not be such an issue. I need all the pedaling bump compliance I can get without squishy pedaling.

I like the DW-Link and Whyte's Tara Quad parabolic path effect for much better pedal bump compliance. It feels like a real Horst link does for shorter travel snappy pedaling and bump compliance (not talking about the more anemic monopivot/ICT/FSR/faux-bar pedaling), but better with even less bob and increased pedal bump compliance.

If you search on _dw posts in the Iron Horse forum you'll find some information on the 6 Point. This thread is pretty good on it and may have got IH serious about producing the 6P :
    Super D --> the ultimate trail bike?

- ray

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast