Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

why no love for high (2") riser bars?

Why is it that most people seem to run low rise bars? I don't see anyone running 2in rise bars, is there a reason for that?

mtbr member
    They're really really tall..

More guys are moving towards more travel, with a 160mm fork you're already up pretty high, a flatter bar keeps you in a more neutral position. Even 140's get you pretty upright. Having a big fork and huge tall bar means you really gotta fight the bike to keep the front end down on climbs.

LightJunction.com
    Agreed. Plus with dropper posts on the scene, this geometry shift is even more drastic. The low rise bars just seem to put me in the perfect position.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Biking Like Crazy!
    When I used to run a high rise bar I would have to really
    tighten down the bar clamps to keep them from rotating
    on "heavy" hits. Now that I run mostly low rise carbon bars
    I can't/don't need to tighten them so much.
    I also agree with the other posters reasonings.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    all those reasons above plus they look sort of lame.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by KVW View Post
    all those reasons above plus they look sort of lame.
    Yeah, I didn't want to go there! lol

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    All of these are true, but consider the fact that even a lot of DH racers run flat bars; you know that they're not climbing.

Biggest thing though is that it gets you in a more aggressive stance with a lower center of gravity. Lower center of gravity = more stability whether you're climbing or descending.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I run Sunline V1s 745mm wide with a 38mm rise (1.5 inches) and it feels just right on my bike right now. My bike's only got 120mm travel though.

mtbr member
    The more difficult to get weight on the front wheel.

SamIAm
    i want more 50mm 29+ bar choices. only ones right now are deity and answer.

i AM a tall rider. and most all of it is in my legs so seat has to be higher. would like bars up a bit so i dont have to crank my neck so much.

no taller than 60mm. 40-50mm juuuust right for alot of us.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

mtbr member
    All boils down to individual preference and riding style....
    Gone thru a whole slew of bar isn the past few years. Was comfy with a 710 mid rise for a long time but then gone on to try just about eberything out there as some of my ridies got bigger descents and i find the leverage lacking....

Changes including long flat 760, all the lo-rise in various lengths... Now Im back on a mid 30mm rise... but length has gone up as well to 750mm. Best compromise for everything up, down and in the air....

The inportant thing is keeping bar height the same when changing bars.. that way one less variable to deal with.. It gets tough as travel gets longer and the one way is to start off with a frame that has as short a headtube as possible and u have some spacers underneath the stem. Im lucky in that sense that my frame allows that kind of options as I progress and try out diff length and rise of bars + stem combos.

Having said--even if bar height and all are kept constant-- climbing is just not as nice as the rise increases... but what works against the climbing is compensated with stability during air time for me.. flat and lo rise just seem to twitch a lot more when pop off something on the trail..

RIP Friendgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by SamL3227 View Post
    FUNN Fatboy 750mm length 50mm rise

I've done the low rise thing & really didn't work for me. Kinda think it's more a fashion thing. Run whatever feels good.
    Last edited by Bordershy; 02-17-2012 at 06:53 AM.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SamL3227 View Post

i AM a tall rider. and most all of it is in my legs so seat has to be higher. would like bars up a bit so i dont have to crank my neck so much.

no taller than 60mm. 40-50mm juuuust right for alot of us.
    I was interested in this thread for the reason you stated here. While I am not tall, I think my legs are for my height. I have very wide shoulders and my arms are short for my height. I recently changed sizes in bikes to fit me better, but in the process it dropped my stack height and in turn dropped my bars away from my short arms. Now when I ride, my lower back is killing me and I really have to torque my neck to look down the trail. I bought some 40mm rise bars. I know climbing will suffer, but climbing already suffers when my lower back is in pain. Right now I'm worried that my new bike might not fit me.... but everything on it fits perfectly except for the fact I'm bending over to 'reach down' to my bars. Do you think riser bars would help this situation?

mtbr member
    taller bar can address a physical issue like flexibility, stregnth or injury too. for me finding the sweet spot for tire grip and a little air time loft control is key as i get older. I pay attention to where my grips' height are and keep that constant on a set-up regardless of bar height.

i run 38mm renthals right now slammed on 160s. It works well but my ride style is very bmx oriented with more standing and attacking things so i don't have any issues with the front end and climbing(boring!!haha!) i could care less about that. depends on the bike too for wheelies or when you're trying to manual and how responsive the rear set up is for doing those things.
    don't sweat the petty things & don't pet the sweaty things

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kneetowaist View Post
    Why is it that most people seem to run low rise bars? I don't see anyone running 2in rise bars, is there a reason for that?
    Hi Mr. kneetowaist,

I absolutely love my 50mm / 2 inch rise, 30.5" wide bars! Some folks speak of climbing issues when using a high rise bar. But I deal with that by using the TALAS feature on my fork to drop the front end on climbs.

My riding style is all about finding something to jump onto, jump off of or jump over. Therefore I really appreciate the ability of the high rise bar to help me loft the front end of the bike with little effort!

As far as I'm concerned anyone who knocks the high rise bars based on looks has a case of misplaced priorities!

Here is a shot of my 2007 Specialized Enduro Pro after I tweaked it to perfection for me!
    why no love for high (2&quot;) riser bars?-michaels-bike-032.jpg

Take care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    I wonder how many people are running low rise bars with 20+ mm of spacers under their stem. I see it a lot. Does it defeat the purpose?

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedrd View Post
    I wonder how many people are running low rise bars with 20+ mm of spacers under their stem. I see it a lot. Does it defeat the purpose?
    Look at the previous picture in the above post. Looks like 25+mm spacers with a high rise bar. I guess what ever it takes for good fit/feel for the rider.

My resaon for not using them (see post #4) is I don't trust them not to rotate on one of my "smooth" landings.

And people that cut their steerer tubes to short...arghh!

SamIAm
    so...

deity, answer, funn, spank.

and on the climbing issue. its not that hard to pull ur chest closer to the bars a bit on the steeper bits to keep the front end down.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    50mm Answer AM's feel great! I had some low rise Easton Monkey Bars before, I was dubious about putting high rise on there but ended up being a great improvement, loads more confidence in the air and in the steeps. I like a playful bike

FWIW I run 140mm forks, 50mm stem slammed to the headset.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Love mine no need to fight the bike , it climbs great for me paired with a 60mm stem 0 degree rise.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails why no love for high (2&quot;) riser bars?-uploadfromtaptalk1329552262896.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead View Post
    Hi Mr. kneetowaist,

I absolutely love my 50mm / 2 inch rise, 30.5" wide bars! Some folks speak of climbing issues when using a high rise bar. But I deal with that by using the TALAS feature on my fork to drop the front end on climbs.

My riding style is all about finding something to jump onto, jump off of or jump over. Therefore I really appreciate the ability of the high rise bar to help me loft the front end of the bike with little effort!

As far as I'm concerned anyone who knocks the high rise bars based on looks has a case of misplaced priorities!

Take care,

Michael
    You couldn't have put it any better. I run a 160mm Talas and just flip the 120mm switch for steeper climbs.

I just ordered those exact same bars from CRC on Monday, can't wait to get them on and give them the test. You running them at full width or cut down a bit?

Johnny Dependable
    No love for high riser bars? The hell you say. I'll ride nothing but. People can stick the low rise carbon bars up their momma's hoo ha, I'm keeping it old school bro! Hussefelt 31.8, 2" risers all day long, Joe Rogan podcast by night!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I find that a lower front end makes it easier to get the front tire to stick later in a ride when I get too lazy to weight the front.

mtbr member
    Now that there are good wide flats out there, you can achieve the same bar position with a combo of spacers and stem, flat bars offer some advantages. Particularly it's easier to make a stronger, lighter, cost effective bar flat. They also give you the option of running a lower front end if you wish. This leaves me thinking that risers are purely a fashion statement at this point. Admittedly I still have a 750mm wide 20mm rise bar, but I see bars like this Kore as effective options if you can rise your stem/spacers and get over having a flat bar. Kore 800mm flat bar! The Earth isn't Flat! These bars are though! - Pinkbike.com

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    I find that a lower front end makes it easier to get the front tire to stick later in a ride when I get too lazy to weight the front.
    Tru Dat!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast