Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Why are droppers so hot?!

So it's been a while since I've really rode. like 8 years, and seems like droppers are the latest and greatest in technology, but for the price and weight, how are being recommended over upgrading breaks first? What happened to just distributing your weight? Just bought a 2013 SJ FSR EVO 29 and have been thinking about selling the Blacklite that came with it, so just trying to see whats up before making what could possibly be a stupid decision.

Interplanetary Poultry
    Well, if something breaks, it should be replaced or upgraded before you try to ride again.
    I have been riding the same FS 29 for the past 9 years. I had a wear line in my seatpost from dropping it down for downhill and dirtjumping, as well as random hooning about on the trails. A dropper post makes it so much easier. As far as distributing your weight vs dropping the post; dropping the post gets the seat out from between the legs, making the bike much easier to flick about. My big FS 29er becomes exceptionally more agile with the saddle out of the way.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    if you've already ridden with a good dropper post and you didn't find it worthwhile there's really nothing more to say

there is certainly no general consensus they are more important than good brakes

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Keep the post. In 2 months, you'll wonder how you lived without when you rode last.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    A dropper post is not necessary but makes life so much easier. I thought the same that they can't be that big of a deal, until I got one

mtbr member
    Give it a chance, you'll likely come to love it.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I can't get off the back of my seat. The dropper post (BlackLite) solved that. Gives me so much more confidence.

usually cranky
    if you dont use it then thats that. but with your seat lowered you can get after it harder than you would with your butt on the rear tire and a seat in your gut. no compromises with a dropper i guess.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    You can flip burgers with a fork, too, but you will find a spatula to work a lot better.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Now that I have been riding with a dropper post for about a year, I find it essential. It adds more range in motion. I can descend steeper, turn harder, and climb more efficiently...all at the push of a button.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Man I have 2 last upgrades to my yeti....stiffer fork and dropper post for all the reasons above.
    2012 Yeti 575 Race
    2013 Niner AIR 9

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    anyone ever heard of a Hite Rite seat adjuster? $29.

mtbr member
    Dropper post, clutch rear derailleur and narrow/wide front ring (if running 1x setup) is the newer tech that actually makes a difference to your ride
    Australia didn't drift away over thousands of years - Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked it in the face.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote2k View Post
    They werk Guud on rails to trails....in the middle of a sketchy technical rock drop section? Awful. Yeah...one handed technical riding is so hot right now!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    And with a dropper post it is even better.

mmmmm, burgers.........

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You can flip burgers with a fork, too, but you will find a spatula to work a lot better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COMMandrew View Post
    Dropper post, clutch rear derailleur and narrow/wide front ring (if running 1x setup) is the newer tech that actually makes a difference to your ride
    Its true. I was a dropper post unbeliever, then I tried one. I was still underwhelmed... but... after a year of use and learning how to use it I am now sold. If you ride aggressively and like steep technical terrain and drops they really are a game changer.

As for the clutch derailleur and 1x with the narrow wide ring, the benefits of that system are immediately noticed. Quiet, smooth shifting, light, reliable, no dropped chains, no front shifter to interfere with my drop post remote, fantastic. Once someone makes a reasonably priced version they will sell boatloads, I would estimate 90% of riders would be better off with a 1x11.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote2k View Post
    Hated mine.

Trail Ninja
    I use my dropper post to:

- get that extra extension on climbs to get a little extra power that allows me to virtually push a higher gear.
    - slam it like a dirt jumper, slope style, trials, or BMX bike to hit those tech features that give good air time
    - I drop it a little when descending something that might require a little pedaling still
    - I drop it a little when I want to make it easier to get back on my bike after stalling on a climb and want to resume trying to climb up
    - I drop it if I need to fit the bike upright in the trunk.
    - Simply tweak the saddle height to whatever feels more comfortable at that moment on my ride.

It's so useful to use it while riding at full speed, without taking my hand off the bars, finding the optimal position to attack everything on the trail as effectively as possible. It's more efficient, safer, and smarter. It gives your trails a new experience, since you're experiencing a flow that is faster and more fluid overall. To me, riding without it would be like getting off my bike to manually control my derailleurs, if I had to use a lever on the actual derailleurs to use them--I use it almost as much as I shift my gears. I wonder if riding without it is like riding single speed to me... well, I would need to compromise and run the seatpost a little lower than normal, sacrificing my efficient pedaling position, just like I'd sacrifice my faster gears on the single speed.

I hear roadies are contemplating running dropper posts, since bikes are getting so light and the post could bring them back up to UCI legal weights and offer them utility. Read in an interview of one roadie that used one in an actual race that he said that a lower position allowed them to spin easier through the rough and that they found a higher position useful for putting out torque on the climbs.

Last time I tried riding without a dropper, on a hardtail, I felt slow on the rough descents, so when I was determined to make it work, since I see XC racers do it, on one descent I had the saddle jam into my chest really hard and on another occasion I bashed my balls on the back off the saddle, trying to get back forward in a centered position on the bike, from being behind the saddle position that allowed me to absorb a bump... that ball breaking moment gave me time to think, on the side of the trail for a few minutes managing the pain, and was the moment I convinced myself that I should just accept that I can't go as fast as I could with the saddle at a "medium" fixed position and that I just stopped to drop the seatpost manually to a better position for the rest of the ride, since it wasn't any fun just taking it easy through the rough sections when I knew I could do it faster. Basically, I got spoiled and my standards raised and also have adapted my set of riding skills to take advantage of it... why worker harder when you can do something better, without as much effort, and re-experience things in a way that makes doing it even more fun and more engaging. I don't know what to compare it... it was a convenience thing at first, like a remote garage door opener and keyless car entry, but suddenly it turned into so much more since without it I wouldn't have even bothered to change my seatpost height as much, and didn't realize there was so much benefit it gave to my actual riding. I would say I pay as much attention, if not more, to my seatpost height as I do with tire pressure and tire selection, after seeing how much benefit it can provide.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    I can't get off the back of my seat. The dropper post (BlackLite) solved that. Gives me so much more confidence.
    This.

It also can make it easier to get under low-hanging trees
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    I use mine all the time, I have a normal clamp on my seatpost now and just use the dropper. Besides for dropping it for terrain changes I drop mine to mount and dismount and stop and start often. I couldnt go back to a fixed post now.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    I do not have a dropper post because I have an older frame. I don't have enough post showing to do much more than a Gravity Dropper 3" drop. IMHO, 6.5" post showing is not a small amount. But for a dropper, it is.

I definitely see the need. There is a lot of pedaling on my trails, not much sustained descent. But there are some drops and steep, short descents. Getting way back I often scrape my thigh if I'm lucky, or my nuts if I'm not, on the saddle.

But I can't drop the saddle lower all the time because of all that pedaling. And I refuse to stop at the side of the trail to adjust my saddle with a quick release.

Now that I've written it, I can't believe I haven't bought one yet. Jeez, I even have a bookmark to the Gravity Dropper order form. Guess I better get on it...

May contain nuts

Why are droppers so hot?!

I use a dropper on my FS but not on the HT, which I prefer to be lightweight and low on gadgetry. I'm adept at changing post height on the bike, even when climbing, so it's not a big issue, I could live without one on the fully too but it's nice to have on that bike...

mtbr member
    I drop mine down if I know I have a big obstacle coming up to hop over. It's not that I can't hop with the seat up. It's easier to get that little extra height with more freedom of movement.

If you're in the air over an obstacle and above the seat, the height of the rear wheel is limited by the height of your saddle. I slap myself in the arse every time when bringing the rear up to level out the bike in a hop.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I do not have a dropper post because I have an older frame. I don't have enough post showing to do much more than a Gravity Dropper 3" drop. IMHO, 6.5" post showing is not a small amount. But for a dropper, it is.

I definitely see the need. There is a lot of pedaling on my trails, not much sustained descent. But there are some drops and steep, short descents. Getting way back I often scrape my thigh if I'm lucky, or my nuts if I'm not, on the saddle.

But I can't drop the saddle lower all the time because of all that pedaling. And I refuse to stop at the side of the trail to adjust my saddle with a quick release.

Now that I've written it, I can't believe I haven't bought one yet. Jeez, I even have a bookmark to the Gravity Dropper order form. Guess I better get on it...
    You can always just do one now with a 1" and 3" drop. If you move to a different frame that would allow more length, can have them do up a new inner post for you with longer drop...
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Mountain Lion Bait
    I got one of the first dropper posts five years ago. My buddies had them and I kept telling them that they didn't need them. Then I rode with one. I have them on all my bikes now except my downhill bike and I never adjust the seat on it. I can't even think about riding without a dropper.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast