Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Why does my friends bike (Reign SX) rides so much nicer than mine (Blur LT2)?

My friend's bike tracks so much better and confidence inspiring. It goes when you point it. It feels like its on rails, while my bikes "jumps around" (his description, for luck of better terms). Need more effort to keep a line.

My bike:
    Santa Cruz BLT2, Fox Talas 32 150mm 1 1/8 steerer, Float RP23 shock, 90mm stem, 685mm handlebars

His bike:
    Giant Reign SX, Fox Van 36 160mm coil fork with tapered steerer, FOX DHX RC2 coil shock, shorter stem and wider bars (not sure how much)

Wheels and tires about the same. My bike is 5 pound lighter and little bit shorter wheelbase.

He thinks it's the stiffer fork, 36 stanchions and beefy steerer.

Is it the coil suspension?
    Wider handlebar with shorter stem?
    Geometry?
    Beefy fork?
    Talas not plush?
    All the above?
    There must be something that is more contributing than the rest.

mtbr member
    The Reign X is 7'' of coil suspension, you could run it as a downhill bike if you wanted to. It's not too surprising it's more confident than a Blur.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    My friend's bike tracks so much better and confidence inspiring. It goes when you point it. It feels like its on rails, while my bikes "jumps around" (his description, for luck of better terms). Need more effort to keep a line.

My bike:
    Santa Cruz BLT2, Fox Talas 32 150mm 1 1/8 steerer, Float RP23 shock, 90mm stem, 685mm handlebars

His bike:
    Giant Reign SX, Fox Van 36 160mm coil fork with tapered steerer, FOX DHX RC2 coil shock, shorter stem and wider bars (not sure how much)

Wheels and tires about the same. My bike is 5 pound lighter and little bit shorter wheelbase.

He thinks it's the stiffer fork, 36 stanchions and beefy steerer.

Is it the coil suspension?
    Wider handlebar with shorter stem?
    Geometry?
    Beefy fork?
    Talas not plush?
    All the above?
    There must be something that is more contributing than the rest.
    It depends on what you mean by nicer? They are in two totally different categories of bikes. The Reign is an AM/Freeride bike. The BLT is a long legged trail bike. Its sort of like comparing a Toyota Rav 4 to a Jeep Wrangler. They sorta do the same thing but really excel in different areas. Sounds like you want an AM 6+ inch travel bike.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    The Reign with a F36 160 coil fork has slacker angles AND the more plush feel of coil. If you're after more of an AM feel to your bike, here's what you can do:

700mm+ bars & 65mm stem: brings the bars back so it's easier to ride further back on the bike.

Run 30%+ sag on your shock and fork: in fact, run the shock as low as you can without bottoming out or feeling like the rear end wallows around. Adjust rebound speed up to compensate for the additional sag. More sag means you're riding in mid-travel more of the time which helps keep the tires on the ground and you in control.

Run a 160mm travel coil fork: this will give you not only a bit more travel, but will slack out the geometry of the bike to be more similar to the Reign.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    I agree with other posts. You are comparing to different category of bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    the biggest things you are likely noticing are:

air rear shock vs. coil
    xc fork vs. basically a DH fork
    narrow bars/long stem vs. wide bars/short stem

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    Fox 36 20mm tru axle > Fox 32.

mtbr member
    You need a Nomad set up similarly to really compare with the bike he's riding. The Blur is more like a long travel race bike that I think people tend to expect too much out of.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Also i think the weight difference is what you could be feeling a bit. 5 extra pounds on the bike will allow it to "plow" through technical things without being deflected (bounced around) quite as much.

mtbr member
    lets count the ways:

- more travel. (6.7 vs 5.5 inches)
    - Coil rear suspension
    - Coil fork with more travel
    - Tapered steerer
    - 20mm thru axle
    - slacker geometry
    - wider bars
    - shorter stem
    - longer wheelbase
    - heavier overall, allowing it to effectively plow through obstacles better instead of getting popped up and to the side

I would be confused if his bike didnt feel better on the downhills. If you want the SC equivalent of what he has, you oughta be on a Nomad.

mtbr member
    The LT2 is pretty slack as-is, and it'll take a 160mm fork. Its a pretty burly bike.

fox float shocks kill everything they're on. Your bike would drastically change with a better shock! If you went 160mm up front and a good coil in the back, the gap between the two would close a good amount.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had a Nomad gen 1.5 that I just sold and still own a MotoLite. My Nomad was set up similar to your buddy's Reign and my MOTO similar to the blur. If the two bikes rode similar I'd be a bit worried... They are designed to excel at two different types of riding.

You are trying to compare bikes in two diffrent classes. There is a reason why manufacturers make bikes in different categories, they behave differently. There is a right tool for every job.

mtbr member
    Had another ride today and watched my bike closer. The front does not keep a straight line well without rider input. The bar moves right left all the time, little movements but very visible. Another thing that I don't like is that the bike tends to fall into the turn when you lean, while the Reign keeps the line you are taking without many corrections.
    I am not talking intense downhill, just riding normal singletrack that is up and down.
    I am thinking more and more about a taller front. More sag in the back is little difficult with this bike since the BB is already low and pedals hit things all the time.

About handlebars, I know. I have a problem with the brake hose. This is as wide as it will go. Changing the brake hose is a PITA but I guess its inevitable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It really is the combination of all things that have been stated above. You over analyzing it. Heavier is more stable. Stiffer front tracks more true due to stachion size, larger axles and who knows maybe even tire choice. Deeper suspension plus coil means over better compliance. I guarentee you this. Go do an xc race on his bike then yours. The overall pedaling effeciency of your bike will eventially become more evident. Somthing that wont show when just riding his for short segments.at a.time
    Even heavier wheels roll better when your not pedaling, but accelerate slower. Bar and stem combo and how the bars are rotatedwithin the.stem even completely changes steering characteristcs.

General consensus is that fox 150 fork in 32 mm is a noodle. I have heard some say 140 fork feels more acceptable than 150 in stiffness with fox 32.
    Last edited by akiracornell; 07-01-2012 at 07:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    [QUOTE=akiracornell;9460999Go do an xc race on his bike then yours. The overall pedaling effeciency of your bike will eventially become more evident. .[/QUOTE]

Go ride uphill together for an hour or so and see who's bike works better....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    other differences that can attribute to what you are feelings are wheels, tires, axle etc. but you are right, going with a 720 bar and a 70mm stem will help.

another thing - the same characteristics about the reign that you are talking about are the ones that make ripping through tight singletrack more burdensome. I'm not saying that it cannot be done, just that my statement above holds true in its entirety. the blur lt with a 150 fork should be a trail killer. I'd embrace the positive traits about that bike.

As an experiment, trade bikes with your friend for a few weeks and go ride different types of trails. If you end up wanting that "plow through everything and hold on for the ride" type bike, get a used Nomad or other 160mm AM bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The 32 150 is a noodle. They pushed the chasis too far with that much travel. It just wont track a line through the rough. My lt2 is soooo much better since i put a 36 float lowered to 150 on the front, went from 90 to 70mm stem and put on some enve carbon dh bars trimmed to 740mm. My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravitythief76 View Post
    The 32 150 is a noodle. They pushed the chasis too far with that much travel. It just wont track a line through the rough. My lt2 is soooo much better since i put a 36 float lowered to 150 on the front, went from 90 to 70mm stem and put on some enve carbon dh bars trimmed to 740mm. My 2 cents.
    I beg to differ, at least with a Revelation 150mm on the new 2012 Blur. I just ran mine down some serious rock gardens at speed and off several jumps and it tracks like an arrow. I'd for sure run a F36 if I was doing dedicated downhill runs, but I'd rather stick with the lighter fork for general use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I beg to differ, at least with a Revelation 150mm on the new 2012 Blur. I just ran mine down some serious rock gardens at speed and off several jumps and it tracks like an arrow. I'd for sure run a F36 if I was doing dedicated downhill runs, but I'd rather stick with the lighter fork for general use.
    It really depends on the rider. If found even the Lyrik to be a flexy flier. Of course, the NomadC is my XC bike
    "It looks flexy"

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Maestro compared to VPP is really like night and day.....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Maestro compared to VPP is really like night and day.....
    Night and day in what sense?

mtbr member
    Theres much less difference between vpp and maestro than there is between a float shock and a good coil.

mtbr member
    I think this BLT rides great

Here Come The Boys, Ft Joel Moore & Chris Kenward from Eyesdown Films on Vimeo.

One thing, or two that change a lot my BLT was the change 90 to 70mm stem, from hi rise monkeylite to low rise Easton Haven carbon bar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfas View Post
    I think this BLT rides great

Here Come The Boys, Ft Joel Moore & Chris Kenward from Eyesdown Films on Vimeo.

One thing, or two that change a lot my BLT was the change 90 to 70mm stem, from hi rise monkeylite to low rise Easton Haven carbon bar
    Nice vid! My BLT came with a 70mm stem, and I swapped over my Easton Haven 711mm bars. Great combo!

mtbr member
    I have a Blur LT2 and an Intense 6.6 with similar specs. 6.6 has a Van 36 and RC4 coil and weighs 36ish. The Blur LT2 has RS Revelation Air 150mm and RP23 and weighs 28ish. My 6.6 tracks way better in rocky or rooty chop because of the weight is more stable and the suspension is much more active and better equipped for choppy conditions. The Blur LT2 is pretty light and gets tossed around in really choppy conditions but is awesome in certain technical trail riding. Just different bikes for different conditions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast