Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Why are 2.5" tires so dang hard to find?

So why are 2.5" tires so hard to find? I have some Timberwolf 2.5's and I love them. I have used them in a 2.7" but they drag the chain when I am on the small ring which is not that often. WTB no longer makes the Timberwolf so I guess I am SOL. I have used the Wierwolf 2.5" which I don't think they make in 2.5" anymore. The Wierwolf was ok but the wore like crap and you had to turn the rear one backwards to get any traction out of it.

I ride on steep rocky wet technical trails where the extra grip and smoother rider are worth their weight in gold. I run 30-35psi in the rear and 20-25 psi in the front. They also last about a year on the back which is about three times as long as a Wierwolf. I ride for fun so slow don't bother me. I am more concerned that I don't break bones than I am being fast.

Perry

GAME ON!
    is it weirwolfs specifically that you can't find, or any 2.5? there are tons of 2.5 tires out there.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well just looking on the Nashbar and Performance bike sights there does not appear to be much out there to choose from. I have even looked on Ebay. I am not going to pay $50 for a tire LOL. On the rare occasion I find some good tires I try to stock up on them.

Perry

I Have Cookies
    I got a pair of 2.5 Prowler MX's off the bay for 20$ a while back.... It takes time to find the deals!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

usually cranky
    conti tk 2.4 is bigger, kenda runs big, so does spec, maxxis makes 2.5s. 2.5 really doesnt mean much as a measurement though.

GAME ON!
    shwalbes can run big as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    B-kul is correct on the sizing - it's all over the place. There are 2.2's and 2.3's that actually measure 2.5 inches.

I have a Conti 2.5 that measures 2.4" and another Conti 2.3 that measures 2.1 inches. So even within the same manufacturer, the actual stated sizes are all over the place. I don't know how they do it. Maybe they just flip a coin or something? LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perryg114
    Well just looking on the Nashbar and Performance bike sights there does not appear to be much out there to choose from. I have even looked on Ebay. I am not going to pay $50 for a tire LOL. On the rare occasion I find some good tires I try to stock up on them.

Perry
    neither of those sites are very good for selection, be it tires or any other component. JensonUSA, Pricepoint, Treefort Bikes and Universal Cycles are all online shops with both good reputations and a large variety of choices.

DIY all the way
    DMR Moto Digger 2.35" is actually 2.5". A very nice tire for all but very muddy conditions.

Cheap as well. Got mine for like 25$ a piece from Chainreaction.

Magura

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Looks like there are some pretty good deals on the Intense Invader and 909 series tires in 2.5. Anybody ever run these?

Perry

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Muddy Mary, freeride trailstar, is made in 2.5. I really like the 2.35" version in front.. With Big Betty in the rear, should be what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    2.5 Muddy Marys and Wicked Wills keep popping up on chainlove. Keep an eye out.

100% fuzz, 0% melody
    Mar 2011
    They're only hard to find if you don't know where to look. Most rookie MTB riders think that there are maybe 2 or 3 places to get bike parts.

Here's a useful suggestion.

1) Choose what tire you want to buy.

2) Go to Google or bing!

3) Enter that tire's name in the "search terms" box. Hit "enter."

4) You'll have all sorts of choices for finding tires.

A more important question might be, why do you think you need a 2.5 tire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash T. Abula

A more important question might be, why do you think you need a 2.5 tire.
    That's an easy one. Better grip,more stability and faster rolling in rugged terrain. This is especially important in the front. Although fat tires are pretty much useless on smooth hardpack.

mtbr member
    Watch Chainlove.com. They have been selling Schwalbe's here and there for the last week.
    I have seen some 2.5 options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Get some properly wide rims.
    Here is my 29x2.40 Ardent on 47mm wide Kris Holm.
    My pressure range is 12-14 / 16-18 PSI (210lb).
    30PSI is more than you need for the road!

www.bartthebikeman.wordpress.com
    fast 26" road bike, shaven Racing Ralphs as road tyres, homemade "Paul thumbies"...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by perryg114
    So why are 2.5" tires so hard to find? I have some Timberwolf 2.5's and I love them. I have used them in a 2.7" but they drag the chain when I am on the small ring which is not that often. WTB no longer makes the Timberwolf so I guess I am SOL. I have used the Wierwolf 2.5" which I don't think they make in 2.5" anymore. The Wierwolf was ok but the wore like crap and you had to turn the rear one backwards to get any traction out of it.

I ride on steep rocky wet technical trails where the extra grip and smoother rider are worth their weight in gold. I run 30-35psi in the rear and 20-25 psi in the front. They also last about a year on the back which is about three times as long as a Wierwolf. I ride for fun so slow don't bother me. I am more concerned that I don't break bones than I am being fast.

Perry
    I have a muudy mary up for grabs on e bay right now,theres no better 2.5 tire than a muddy mary !!!!

I'm with stupid
    To bad its not the DH casting version I was looking for one for my big bike.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbeck
    That's an easy one. Better grip,more stability and faster rolling in rugged terrain. This is especially important in the front. Although fat tires are pretty much useless on smooth hardpack.
    Though there are plenty of nominal 2.3-2.4" tires that also offer those qualities and nominal 2.5-2.6" tires that do not.

Do you want a DH or lightweight casing?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

100% fuzz, 0% melody
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbeck
    So why stop at 2.5? Why not go 2.7 or 3.0? Why not get a snowbike tire? Is bigger always better? When does bigger get to be a hassle or an albatross?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash T. Abula
    So why stop at 2.5? Why not go 2.7 or 3.0? Why not get a snowbike tire? Is bigger always better? When does bigger get to be a hassle or an albatross?
    If you don't experiment and don't try out anything different from the norm yourself, you'll never know what wide and narrow or big and small really is.
    You'll be just humbly accepting "the best" standards informally imposed on you by the manufacturers magazines and your riding buddies.
    fast 26" road bike, shaven Racing Ralphs as road tyres, homemade "Paul thumbies"...

Quote Originally Posted by Barteos
    Get some properly wide rims.
    Here is my 29x2.40 Ardent on 47mm wide Kris Holm.
    My pressure range is 12-14 / 16-18 PSI (210lb).
    30PSI is more than you need for the road!

Funny how your Ardent has Schwalbe Racing Ralph labels and tread.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Funny how your Ardent has Schwalbe Racing Ralph labels and tread.
    They are really Ardents. My team sponsor told me to make them look like Racing Ralphs

Anyway they are both pretty good for their own uses and very BIG.

Quote Originally Posted by Barteos
    They are really Ardents. My team sponsor told me to make them look like Racing Ralphs

Anyway they are both pretty good for their own uses and very BIG.

Nice Scandal BTW
    Last edited by shiggy; 04-18-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

... latest incarnation with real... Ardents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast