I railed it like Kong

Who's running carbon bars?

Hey guys,

I've been away from riding for the last 9 months and am finally making time again. So i've got this new build going for a AllMountain hardtail and i want a good set of carbon bars. I've been running carbon bars for about 2 years now and i don't think i'll go back. I love the feel over aluminum. I've got cheap weyless bars on my xc bike and FSA k-force dh bars on my freeride bike. I'm thinking the FSA DH bars again for this setup.

I wanted to know what other carbon bars are being run by the all mountain group. What do you like what have you tried and did not like?
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Gravity Carbon

I am running the Gravity Carbon bar. Identical to the Kforce DH, but with a few deg more backsweep and different graphics.

Love them, but all of a sudden got paranoid about running lock-on grips the other day. Don't know why, never had a carbon component fail on me, never seen a carbon bar break at the grip. Just got paranoid and put rubber grips back on.

Quote Originally Posted by rkonindustry
    Hey guys,

I've been away from riding for the last 9 months and am finally making time again. So i've got this new build going for a AllMountain hardtail and i want a good set of carbon bars. I've been running carbon bars for about 2 years now and i don't think i'll go back. I love the feel over aluminum. I've got cheap weyless bars on my xc bike and FSA k-force dh bars on my freeride bike. I'm thinking the FSA DH bars again for this setup.

I wanted to know what other carbon bars are being run by the all mountain group. What do you like what have you tried and did not like?

Have Cake and beat it 2
    bontager race x. only just put them on but they seem to be holding up - so far.

ride better, ride faster
    i have seen a carbon bar break at the grip...and they were lockons...

But i am looking at what carbon bars to put on my bike too, and I am very likely to put lockon grips... Bike is a 5 spot with Pikes and crossmax XLs. Was looking at the Ritchey WCS bars. Cheap for a carbon bar... but feel is important to me. Some bars just feel right!! Has to do with degrees of sweep back I think...

mtbr member
    i run a lp composites hybrid downhill bar

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i have profile carbon bars. i have only ridden the bike once with them but they seem fine. i cant tell a huge diff over my older alluminum bars though?

Neg reppers r my biatches
    I run FSA on 2 of my bikes....one the K Force DH and the other the new Gravity. Point well taken about the lockons but I am sticking with them personally.

cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Azonic CF-1 carbon riser...

Light, Strong, and the best looking carbon bar out ther (IMHO):

I also run a pair of Easton Monkey Lite XC on my SS.

In my mind, I can do it!

RF Next Carbon

I have the Race Face Next Carbon bar on my bike and it are very nice. It also received 5 stars on the last review I saw.

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    I have the Race Face Next Carbon bar on my bike and it are very nice. It also received 5 stars on the last review I saw.

Yeti ARC carbon bar on my 4x. hard to beat, 130g, $50. direct from Yeti.
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Easton monkey lytes, you can never go wrong with these.

it's....
    Performance carbon riser bars, couldn't pass up the $49 sale price.

mtbr member

Easton

Monkey lite xc, pretty light @ 175 grams. 26.5 inches wide with nice sweeps. Drops and jumps have been no problem.
    Last edited by bpnic; 09-03-2007 at 09:04 PM.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

Who are the brain police?
    Ditto on the MLs. I have the DH ones... ordered the XC but got the DH. I didn't complain.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Monkeylite xc low rise 685mm, Oversized 31.8mm dia

baggin ho's

LP's are killer

I'm a huge fan of the LP's. I had one of their straight bars with bar ends (way back in the day) put on too tight and when I crashed I broke the last inch off the bar. I then proceeded to ride the bar for another month before I called LP and had the no questions asked replacement on the way. I also had a seatpost that I broke the guts out of on a drop, I took the seatpost out of the bike and flipped it upside down and rolled it for a few more rides. This sounds like their stuff breaks, but I weigh 240lbs and have broken way more than my fair share of bars and seatposts. These guys actually make their own stuff and really stand behind it. The only carbon Bar I'd ever run, their seatposts on a hardtail I feel at least 1inch of flex, nice on the heinie!!!

VooDoo user.
    FSA K-force DH 31.8(?) carbons here. Had them for a year with no breakage. Very sturdy.
    Last edited by TIMBERRR; 08-09-2006 at 07:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Definitely FSA. Can't imagine anything else on my MX1. Nothing else feels stiff anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Easton MonkeyLite XC... all 215 pounds of me.
    I have them on my squishy bike as well as my single speed.

Lets ride

I have seen a few break

Quote Originally Posted by rkonindustry
    Hey guys,

I was on an XC ride with a buddy who had carbon bars, his broke half way through the ride and he almost did a header into a tree. He was a SS and he is about 170#. I have seen one or two others break (not on rides i have been on) so I would never use carbon. My $.02

mtbr member
    I was running Race Face Next Carbons. I liked 'em too. Mine failed in a super-digger at about 25 mph into grass. I rode it all the way down and filled up my helmet with grass. The bars failed at the brake lever. I should point out that they failed "gracefully" in that though they were broken, the break was still attached and could have been ridden carefully back to the trailhead (I can tell you the same hasn't been true of the couple of times I've broken alum bars—near death from sharp edges at high speeds).

Embarrassingly though, the auger happened in my own front yard as I misjudged the curb and subsequent rise from street level at the end of my commute to work. What can I say, my SS was in the shop, and you'd be surprised how much fun a city-commute can be on an A/M.

Honestly, if they weren't so expensive, I'd have put the same bars back on the bike. But now I'm running some Alum DH bars from FSA. Correction: The FSA's are on my SS. I'm running Holzfeller DH bars from TruVativ. That Holzfeller, he's a sturdy feller.
    Last edited by xxxbike; 08-11-2006 at 07:31 PM.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I have the Race Face Next Carbons on my 575. The whole setup is new, but I've been very happy with them thus far!

mtbr member
    Syncros Bulk bars...these babies are tough!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Get over it!

Webtoes
    I the have Race Face Next SL Carbon bar 31.8 and the Easton EC70 CNT MonkeyLite XC Carbon Bar 25.4. Both are nice, but I prefer the Race Face bars alot more. They are lighter, cheaper, more comfortable, and cooler looking. They also have a titanium weave where the stem clamps.

Last edited by Webtoes; 08-11-2006 at 10:18 AM.
    Webtoes

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

No good Not any more

No more carbon for my AM riding. Too fragile, constant worrying that even small gashes will end its life...
    And then I get proof... Over-tight easton handlebar torque