mtbr member
    Sep 2013

New question here. Who wants to go in with me on a TREK FUEL EX8 STRIP DOWN? Here are the details...

Short edition:

1- I need a Trek Fuel EX 8 (26'er) 2013 or 2014 FRAME only (17.5 ACTUAL)
    2- Anyone want the components? (EVERYTHING)
    3- We can work out a $ split.
    4- I'll have a 2013 Fuel ex8 16.5 ACTUAL frame for sale in the end)

Long edition:
    I bought a Trek Fuel EX8 2013 (26'er) in May of this year.
    Frame size is 17.5" virtual and 16.5" actual.
    When I bought it the bike shop said it was 18.5" actual. I got the bike and they convinced me to try it our for a couple months. I just rode a buddies 17.5 ACTUAL frame and loved it. Bike shop is refusing to do a swap out for a larger size because I am out of the 30 day window.

So, I spoke with the Trek Rep and he said he would hook me up with a $100 discount if I order another TREK fuel EX 8 from him.

see above

Thanks!
    This is my first post. Hope I can help someone out!

mtbr member
    have you tried a shorter stem?

my GT came with like a 110mm stem. i switched it out for a 60mm, it feels great now
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    have you tried a shorter stem?

my GT came with like a 110mm stem. i switched it out for a 60mm, it feels great now
    Thanks for the suggestion. We tried that, but the bike's wheelbase is too small for me.

mtbr member
    That is the worst shop story; I'd be absolutely irate. Sorry to hear about it.

I guess if you fall squarely in the 16.5" actual's intended sizing chart from Trek but just happen to prefer big bikes for your height, the shop could be excused for trying to steer you in the right direction, but this doesnt sound like that.

How are you not ranting angrily and naming that shop online after what they did? I got some bad sizing advice from a shop guy when I was starting out; not as bad of an offense and result as yours but the guy still really dropped the ball.

After all, ensuring proper fit is one of the key reasons to buy from a shop.

At the very least are they going to do the build/swap for free when you get the correct frame size?

EDIT: i came back to suggest you'll probably get yourself sorted a lot faster buy just sucking up and buying a used frame only...may not be too in the hole $ wise either

mtbr member
    whoops, i thought the bike you have was too big

misread
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    they said "try it out for a couple months"

then they said youre "out of the 30 day window"

can they NOT do math?

thats fuked up

id sell it and buy the bike you really want

sorry man.... that sucks

ps, how tall are you anyway
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks man I appreciate your advice.

I'm 5'8"
    Here is the listing on ebay...
    I hope it sells!

Trek Fuel EX8 2013 17 5 inch Virtual Like New | eBay

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    How are you not ranting angrily and naming that shop online after what they did?

EDIT: i came back to suggest you'll probably get yourself sorted a lot faster buy just sucking up and buying a used frame only...may not be too in the hole $ wise either
    I bought it from bike barn (they are very unhelpful) typical corporate atmosphere.

I take my trusty 1999 Trek 6500 out when I get off the phone with those suits, it tends to mellow me out =)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Trek Fuel EX8 2013 17 5 inch Virtual Like New | eBay

Just hoping it sells. Saved up for 3 yrs to buy this bad boy.

mtbr member
    post your bike here too... Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes, Gear and Parts - Pinkbike

also, i checked all the Santa Cruz bikes, and for your height, they recommend medium sized bikes (if you get one of theres), all of which have effective top tubes (aka, horizontal or virtual top tubes) of around 23", which should be what your buddies bike is (more or les), which is why it fits you better

remember, thats the horizontal top tube measurement, which is different from actual top tube length.

E in this pic, is how horizontal top tube is measured...

actual top tube would be measured from about D to A, in that pic, which is pretty much a useless spec. horizontal is probably the most important spec, as long as the bikes Standover isnt too tall for you

the 17.5, 16.5 and 18.5 that Treks talking about, arent the top tube numbers. theyre talking about the frame size, which is usually measured from the center of the bottom bracket, to the top of the seat post tube (where you put your seatpost in)

hope that helps
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    How about a "crash" replacement on the frame
    - Be Someone

mtbr member
    i think the moral of the story here is: its your money on the line; demand exactly what you want and dont let those bastards get you down

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Maday View Post
    How about a "crash" replacement on the frame
    Can you please give me some more info about this program.

mtbr member
    if you crash and it gets jacked up, Trek might give you a deal on a replacement. except yours isnt wrecked. and if you do wreck it, they might not cover it anyway, then youre screwed

just sell it. unless theres another shop you can take it to, who will trade with you, probably for a fee... idk. ask around
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    My Fuel EX9 crash replacement was about $1000. Came with new shock. You could always put old shock on e-bay to recover a few dollars.
    - Be Someone

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The question would be, will they increase my frame size if I went through the crash replacement?

mtbr member
    It would most likely depend on the Rep. If you "crashed" because you felt like the bike was too small, I would think they would like to get you on the "correct" sized bike.

You should ride what feel good for you. For reference I'm 5'10" and have the 18.5"/17.5" frame.
    - Be Someone

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    thanks for all the info just posted it up there. I have over 275 views on ebay with a few watchers. we'll see what happens

Axe
    Custom User Title
    What kind of a shop does not do sizing by the top tube? What kind of a shop does not check what they sell?

And people keep whining that we should keep shopping local and pay more money for "service".

/end pointless rant (I have nothing useful to add to this conversation)

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselFuelEX8 View Post
    I'm 5'8"
    Looking at EX 8 17.5 "virtual" (idiotic way to size bikes IMO) numbers, not sure why it does not fit you OK. Should be pretty on the nose.

23" effective top tube. If you feel cramped, just put a setback seatpost and add 10mm to stem. And maybe 20mm wider bars.

I am a little above 5'8", and I would not go for 431mm reach frame (the next size up). Unless riding with a very short frame. 414mm that you have seems spot on. ("Reach" is the most reliable way to size bikes)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I am 5'10" with long hands and legs and have a 2013 Fuel EX7 18.5/17.5. I really love the bike and it fits me well, but I did not try the 17.5/16.5 as a reference.
    Good luck with the sale