mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Who thinks Iscg tabs are even necessary anymore?

With XX1 type chain rings,clutch derailleurs and add a bash guard are they now overkill for AM? I'm very happy with my set up and have had no issues.

Gazing through trees
    Chains have been dropped off of this style setup. If riders wish to slim-down their drivetrains - so be it; others will not want the loss of security from chainguide systems.
    I like Sand -- I don't like Witches.

mtbr member
    For AM use I agree 100% but a lot of us ride our AM bikes for park and DH. I read recently where one frame maker was making a keyed, removable ISCG mount. That would be IDEAL! I think you'll see more of that in the future.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Removable would make sense,I like two ring 38-28 with bash guard nice to have the diversity,bigger ring for DH speed and the 28 works pretty well for some of the really steep tech and or at the end of a long day bailout!

mtbr member
    I got em on my Bronson and am kind of wondering about their necessity myself. I will be going to a 2x10 from a 3x10 in the near future. I was going to get the 2x MRP chain guide/bash. Yet with a type 2 X9 RD I am not even sure I will need one. I almost never find myself needing a bash. However I have seen the chain slap the bottom of the chain stay on big drops once or twice if I am in the small/small combo. If this continues to be an issue I might have to go with a chain guide. I am glad my bike has them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    For AM use I agree 100% but a lot of us ride our AM bikes for park and DH. I read recently where one frame maker was making a keyed, removable ISCG mount. That would be IDEAL! I think you'll see more of that in the future.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    My yeti sb66 has keyeyed removable iscg mounts. And yes they are needed I run a mrp dual ring guide.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

usually cranky
    kinda agree. but the more option the better imo.

LCW
    mtbr member
    I run my 575 at a nearby ski hill for some DH (not gnarly Whistler type, but still gravity) and love that I can run a chain guide via the ISCG tabs - I run an MRP 2X and it's definitely worth it! Keeps the chain in place and prevents slapping the stays.
    2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 - 31.5 lbs

OSCMTB
    I have not used one but from the reviews I've heard, XX1-style chainrings are not foolproof even with clutch derailleurs. I've been running 1x setups for 5 years now, with various chainguide arrangements. Got my first bike with ISCG tabs this year and it has by far the best. The variety of different guides and adjustability makes them awesome. I don't think I'd buy a bike without them. In the future I'll probably run a narrow-wide chainring WITH an ISCG-mounted guide.

EDIT: I don't think anyone has to worry though. It's taken a while, but ISCG tabs have finally become the norm on most trail/all mountain bikes. I wouldn't expect to see them disappear overnight. If they do, serious sign of the times in the bicycle industry.

mtbr member
    HS user here - wonjt buy a frame without. Knolly frames you can unbolt them if you do not need - saves you 200grams YO!

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    I have not used one but from the reviews I've heard, XX1-style chainrings are not foolproof even with clutch derailleurs. I've been running 1x setups for 5 years now, with various chainguide arrangements. Got my first bike with ISCG tabs this year and it has by far the best. The variety of different guides and adjustability makes them awesome. I don't think I'd buy a bike without them. In the future I'll probably run a narrow-wide chainring WITH an ISCG-mounted guide.

EDIT: I don't think anyone has to worry though. It's taken a while, but ISCG tabs have finally become the norm on most trail/all mountain bikes. I wouldn't expect to see them disappear overnight. If they do, serious sign of the times in the bicycle industry.
    I'm running a Jamis 650B2 1X 10, with a Wolf Tooth Components 30T direct mount ring (same alternating
    teeth pattern as XX1) on a SRAM X9 crank with an X0 Type 2 mech & 11-36 cassette. No chainguide. In 2 months, no issue whatsoever with losing chain.

My previous bike was a HT 26'er 1X9 with a 32T Ring on Truvativ crank. No ISCG tabs so ran it 1 season with bb mount top hold chain guide. Kept the chain on mostly, but occasionally chain got stuck in the guide. 2nd season, BBG bashwhich. Big improvement over guide.

Best system by far is the current set up. Simple, not too spendy, light, reliable.

Chain guide market will suffer on XC and trail bikes, where they are almost
    obsolete.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Stand back
    I run a 1x10 with a Blackspire Der guide - it weighs about as much as a bashguard but keeps my chain on. Why would I want to downgrade to just a bashguard?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

dwt
    mtbr member

Delete

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    I run a 1x10 with a Blackspire Der guide - it weighs about as much as a bashguard but keeps my chain on. Why would I want to downgrade to just a bashguard?
    1X is about taking parts OFF your bike to make it simpler (and hopefully lighter). After you remove then front shifter, cables, housing & derailleur, having to add a part to keep your chain on is an insult to the whole concept. Once I put a Wolf Tooth ring on the crank and a type 2 rear mech on the back, I was glad to remove my chainguide. Since the chainring is only 30T, I have no need for a bash either. Simple and light, and for my style of riding (not exactly a FreeRider, but not baby butt buff trails either) foolproof. Have never lost my chain or scraped the ring since setting this up in June.

mtbr member
    ISCG bash guards protect the chainring, the weight penalty is small relative to a new chain and chain ring.

Anyone who rides in rocks, hops over logs that most people get off and climb over, and jumps their bike (ie occassional case landing) wants this protection.

If you are not doing any of this (((you really should try these because they are a lot of fun)), then no need for ISCG tabs. However, most bikes that are not built for this use don't have them, so it isn't really an issue.

I have a 1x10 with a MRP ISCG bashguard, clutch, and the new raceface ring....and love it - no drops and the silence is amazing!

I will not buy a bike unless is has ISCG tabs -

For example Pivot Carbon Mach 5.7 - great bike, looks like trail ripper - probably lost a lot of sales because of the lack of those 3 tabs.

perpetual pucker factor
    I really like ISCG tabs. I like having the option of running nothing, a bash guard, a guide, or combination of things. The clutch derailleur I use is nice, and it does negate the need for a tensioner pulley on the guard, but my particular bike requires at least a top guide to keep the chain in a safe place in the off chance that it hopped off. So depending on bike design, you might need one just as a back-up, even if running a clutch derailleur.

Summary: They're still very useful, so I vote to keep them.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Have a yeti sb 95 with a 2x10 clutched rear D, and I have dropped a chain a few times. Now I run a e thirteen bash/guide set up. I like that my frame gives u the option of having tabs or not

mtbr member
    I like 'em. 2 seasons, never dropped a chain, and my bike is so quiet I can hear other people's chains rattling around in front or behind me when we're headed down hill!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by WillT19 View Post
    Not necessarily. I had a bb mount chainguide formerly. Even with locktite and torqued to the max, a big hit could move the sucker way out of a alignment. Huge PITA.

The solution is either ISCG tabs, and guard/guide of your choice, OR XX1 type ring and clutch rear mech where no guide or guard necessary depending on how/where you ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It depends. For DH racing and other really hard use a chain retention gadget will always be a good idea. If a person is running a small wide narrow type chain ring there is certainly less need for a bash ring as there will be more clearance than most people will need. I run a 36 tooth on one bike and a 30 on the other and I rarely hit anything. I do think for most people running a wide narrow with a clutch that chain retention devices are redundant.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    1X is about taking parts OFF your bike to make it simpler (and hopefully lighter). .... Since the chainring is only 30T, I have no need for a bash either. Simple and light, and for my style of riding (not exactly a FreeRider, but not baby butt buff trails either) foolproof. Have never lost my chain or scraped the ring since setting this up in June.
    30t chainring? That sounds slow, and I have places to be. I run a 34, and by the looks of the chunks taken out of my bashguard, it's necessary. Besides, my chainguide has no moving parts, so it's still way simpler than a front shifter mech.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    The only think I use my ISCG tabs for is taco bashguards. We ride over a lot of logs and rocks out here and you need some sort of protection.

I have a clutch RD and a Raceface wide/narrow ring on my Enduro and I still prefer using a guide with it. I've never dropped a chain without it, but with it, it does keep the chain a bit tighter and you get less chainslap.
    2013 Stumpy Evo