Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    652

    who sells RAGLEY (mmmbop) in the US?

    I was looking around and only Chain Reaction has them, but not my size
    where can I get those in the US?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,499
    pretty sure noone.
    don't think ragley has a distributor in the US.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,458
    Most sizes are gone. Just wait for the 2011 Ragley Troof if aluminum is your thing.
    konahonzo

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mitzikatzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,808
    From the website overseas (not UK) dealers. none in the USA.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,842
    mmmbops are discontinued for 2011 - so once they're gone they're gone.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by brant
    mmmbops are discontinued for 2011 - so once they're gone they're gone.
    Why? those are really good frames, are they going to be replace by a similar/better frame?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,842
    Sales only really picked up when we hacked the price to clear them out.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by brant
    Sales only really picked up when we hacked the price to clear them out.
    ...so by any chance, do you have one size small, that you would send to Las Vegas NV?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by lokomonkey
    ...so by any chance, do you have one size small, that you would send to Las Vegas NV?
    but seriously, Brant thanks for your reply, are you going to make another frame, with similar characteristics as the mmmbop?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,458
    Quote Originally Posted by lokomonkey
    but seriously, Brant thanks for your reply, are you going to make another frame, with similar characteristics as the mmmbop?
    See post #3.
    konahonzo

  11. #11
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,968
    i think the troof looks absolutely horrid.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    See post #3.
    I don't believe that the 'troof' is as simple, clean looking lines, and light as the mmmbop, maybe it's designed for the same kind of riding? the rear triangle looks more compact in the mmmbop, and I just love the simple/sharp clean as a knife kind of look of the mmmbop.....

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,842
    Oh the Troof is a bit of a looker, if you know what I mean. Kind of unique lines, but they make sense.

    Like I say, repeating point 7, mmmbops only moved when we dropped the price, and that price isn't sustainable for a long term view. It was a clearance price.

    What we found in the first run of Ragley was that our customers LOVE steel. Even when you price a frame that's only a little bit more money, and a heap lighter, people still love steel.

    It's only when the alloy frame is MUCH cheaper, people will choose it.

    We'll reintroduce a new alloy frame at some point, with some revisions (I'm thinking tapered headtube, rather than straight 1.5in, and a few other things), but for now, mmmbop is resting.

  14. #14
    jrn
    jrn is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    23
    I for one really like the look of the Troof and can't wait to see one built up. If I'd have been unable to buy an mmmBop, I'd surely have bought the Troof for next summer.

  15. #15
    The Sentinel
    Reputation: mtnbiker62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    530

    Sorry for jacking the thread, but...

    ...I'm one of those guys who love steel, so I'm wondering: When will the Bagger 288 be available?

    Quote Originally Posted by brant
    What we found in the first run of Ragley was that our customers LOVE steel. Even when you price a frame that's only a little bit more money, and a heap lighter, people still love steel.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,842

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by brant
    mmmbops only moved when we dropped the price
    . . .
    What we found in the first run of Ragley was that our customers LOVE steel. Even when you price a frame that's only a little bit more money, and a heap lighter, people still love steel.

    It's only when the alloy frame is MUCH cheaper, people will choose it.
    Here's the poorly-kept secret to late-season mmmBop sales: There's a crazy-cheap Revelation Team fork available from BikeWagon. A nice 140mm Trail/Light-All-Mtn fork with a 1.5" non-tapered steerer tube. It's a weird configuration. It fits the mmmBop.

    Remove the clearance pricing on that combo and I would have bought a Blue Pig. A proper steel frame, not a collection of recycled beer cans. I have simply brainwashed myself to the point that I consider the mmmBop to be an aluminium Blue Pig.

    CRC still a few Small Ragley Blue Pigs in-stock.

    In summary: Have you ever heard of the Blue Pig? Still available.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,657
    Quote Originally Posted by rkevans
    Here's the poorly-kept secret to late-season mmmBop sales: There's a crazy-cheap Revelation Team fork available from BikeWagon. A nice 140mm Trail/Light-All-Mtn fork with a 1.5" non-tapered steerer tube. It's a weird configuration. It fits the mmmBop.
    Ah, those forks, they're what persuaded me to wait for the Pig X to come snuffling along.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,458
    Brant, does the 2011 Piglet also take a 1.5 fork?

    And I'm not able to find any standover height data for the Piglet, Bagger and Blue Pig in 18" and 20". Please fill me in. Thanks!
    konahonzo

  20. #20
    The Sentinel
    Reputation: mtnbiker62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    530

    Top tube length?

    Hey Brant, what is the ETT measurement for a 16" Bagger?
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,458
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker62
    Hey Brant, what is the ETT measurement for a 16" Bagger?
    Posted on CRC.


    I'm trying to get dimensions for standover height on the Bagger/Troof, Blue Pig and Piglet but no response from Brant on here or Facebook. I would really like to make a decision before these are in stock at CRC and start buying parts asap. :sigh:

    konahonzo

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    Posted on CRC.


    I'm trying to get dimensions for standover height on the Bagger/Troof, Blue Pig and Piglet but no response from Brant on here or Facebook. :sigh:
    What tyre size?
    What fork length?
    What position on the top tube for measuring standover height?

    There are so many variables and it's such a misleading dimension, it's probably best to think about it yourself and get an idea so you can make a decision.

    I could throw some misleading/incorrect dimensions around to keep people quiet, but it's not really going to help.

    Essentially, all the Ragleys size-to-size have increased standover for 2011 (the top tube joins the seat tube a bit lower down), and the Bagger has futher increased standover by having a shaped top tube.

    Standover is a function of fork length, headtube length and "point where it joins the seat tube" so I am sure, given the dimensions you have on the CRC site, a bike with a similar length fork, and the dimension our "straight" top tube bikes hit the seat tube (centre of top tube hits the seat tube 72mm from the top), then you can do some meddling on your own current bikes and get some idea.

    Personally I think standover is way over rated, as I never had standover over my YZ125 Enduro bike when I rode that, but seemed to get on ok.

    Long travel bikes give short people clearance problems. But these disappear once rolling, and IME the only time people ever stand over bikes with the bike straight up is when they're checking for standover height.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,458
    Quote Originally Posted by brant

    Essentially, all the Ragleys size-to-size have increased standover for 2011 (the top tube joins the seat tube a bit lower down), and the Bagger has futher increased standover by having a shaped top tube.
    Basically that's all I wanted to hear, thanks Brant!

    Now if I could only trouble you for some pics of the Troof in Other Red. What kind of shade are we talking here?

    Going back and forth over the measurements and my wants, I have narrowed it down to a Blue Pig 2011 or Bagger/Troof. Piglet's out since it would only be a 20mm increase in travel from my current bike and just about the same steep geometry.

    I want to try the slack Ragley geometry and jump on the bandwagon.
    konahonzo

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,842
    Remember that Ragley geometry is listed as "sagged" - at the designed fork length less 28% sag. So our "68.5" bike (the Piglet) is still considerably slacker than other peoples 68.5deg "static" bikes.

    I am not massively interested in another discussion about sagged vs static geometry, but basically, static geometry on long travel hardtails is a stupid way of describing things, and only useful for people with iphones, but no friends.

    Sagged geometry gives you an idea of how a bike rides when you're on it (even if you're on it, on your own, with an iphone) .

    Static geometry works for full suspension bikes because they drop down "vertically" when you sit on them. Hardtails don't. They only compress at the front. Steepening 2 or 3 degrees.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,458
    Gotcha, definitely understanding more and more of how you get these measurements and it's all coming together and making sense.

    Now how about a little preview of Troof in Other Red? Hopefully it's not a horrendous shade like the Chip Shop Curry Troof.

    All the other 2011 Ragley colors are excellent, love them all, especially the Blue Pig in Not Blue Pig Blue mated with a white fork and the orange Ragley cockpit. Super nice and definitely my favorite from the lineup. Please don't make me wait until January to see that Troof, lol.
    konahonzo

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,458
    ...
    konahonzo

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by brant
    Oh the Troof is a bit of a looker, if you know what I mean. Kind of unique lines, but they make sense.

    Like I say, repeating point 7, mmmbops only moved when we dropped the price, and that price isn't sustainable for a long term view. It was a clearance price.

    What we found in the first run of Ragley was that our customers LOVE steel. Even when you price a frame that's only a little bit more money, and a heap lighter, people still love steel.

    It's only when the alloy frame is MUCH cheaper, people will choose it.

    We'll reintroduce a new alloy frame at some point, with some revisions (I'm thinking tapered headtube, rather than straight 1.5in, and a few other things), but for now, mmmbop is resting.
    you are absolutely right! I saw the frame, look really good, and for a great price ...I just wanted to take advantage of it. But my 'deal' is like this; I mostly ride DH/freeride in my ''big suspension bike'', but winter is here and wanted to try a "DH/FR hardtail" so I build one cheap in a MARIN b-17 frame, I fell in love with the riding immediately, so now I'm looking for a hardtail frame, very agile/responsive. with a 1.5 head tube, that could take long travel (160, maybe 180mm) really good on the way up, but great on the way down......
    what would you recommend...?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    Gotcha, definitely understanding more and more of how you get these measurements and it's all coming together and making sense.

    Now how about a little preview of Troof in Other Red? Hopefully it's not a horrendous shade like the Chip Shop Curry Troof.
    We have no sample in Other Red. Only in a blue which everyone but me liked. Chip Shop Curry is intentionally awful.

  29. #29
    Training for vacation
    Reputation: gte819s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by brant
    ...only useful for people with iphones but no friends.
    Ha! I am gonna have to use that one sometime.

    Can't wait to see the QED built up.

  30. #30
    The Sentinel
    Reputation: mtnbiker62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    530

    Don't I know it!

    Kind of the story of my life, here! 5'7" and in love with long travel bikes! I can't tell you how many times the boys have slapped down on the top tube, but I'm old and married, so I don't have much use for them any more, so it's all good!

    Quote Originally Posted by brant
    Long travel bikes give short people clearance problems. But these disappear once rolling, and IME the only time people ever stand over bikes with the bike straight up is when they're checking for standover height.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,458
    And what forks are the 2011 samples running that we've seen in the press pics? Lyrik on the Bagger and Sektor on the Blue Pig?
    konahonzo

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,842
    Yes - we've had a few out there. Sektors and Revelations, some Manitou somethings on the Piglet, and Lyrics on the Bagger.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    157
    Will the Blue Pig work with a rigid fork? Thinking of doing single speed with an on-one 26er rigid fork (420mm axle to crown).

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by magixuser
    Will the Blue Pig work with a rigid fork? Thinking of doing single speed with an on-one 26er rigid fork (420mm axle to crown).
    Clearly any bike will "work" with a rigid fork.

    It's not quite right though.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,499
    420mm is REALLY short compared to what the blue pig was designed to run, you're taking this bike out of it's range by a LOT.
    470mm is roughly analogous to unsagged (hehee @ brant) 100mm fork.
    blue pig's meant for 140 to 160 right?
    so to keep geo/bb in place at sagged ride height I'd expect you'd need about a 480- 510mm rigid fork.

    but why would you? AM rigid? maybe a 4" tire up front??
    just wondering
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

  36. #36
    Training for vacation
    Reputation: gte819s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    306
    Sounds like a rigid 69er would work or rigid semi-fat bike
    440-460 ish A2C rigid + 29er wheel would be about right on the sagged suspension geo
    Dont know how it would steer at that HT angle w/ the bigger wheel though

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by gte819s
    Dont know how it would steer at that HT angle w/ the bigger wheel though
    Terribly. I've tried it.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,121
    Hey,

    Brant, although I've been browning these threads for a while, I've never added any input :-p

    Anyhow, I've been looking at Ragley bikes for a while, mainly because I wanted a nice all mountain hardtail that can handle a tapered fork. I've seen the new blue pig has both the capability for a taper fork and ISCG tabs, basically everything I've wanted in a hardtail.


    ANYHOW, I talked to a rep from Chain Reaction Cycles and they said the new Blue Pigs would be in stock at the beginning of December. Then I talked to another rep the other day and they didn't know when they're coming in. Any truth on when these are coming in? (seeing as how you're the man to talk to )

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AladdinP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11
    ANYHOW, I talked to a rep from Chain Reaction Cycles and they said the new Blue Pigs would be in stock at the beginning of December. Then I talked to another rep the other day and they didn't know when they're coming in. Any truth on when these are coming in? (seeing as how you're the man to talk to )
    Really? I'd kill to get a BP this month (for the right price, naturally)

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11
    ANYHOW, I talked to a rep from Chain Reaction Cycles and they said the new Blue Pigs would be in stock at the beginning of December. Then I talked to another rep the other day and they didn't know when they're coming in. Any truth on when these are coming in? (seeing as how you're the man to talk to )
    Well - the beauty of the way my business works now, compared to my old company, is that actually I don't really know too much about when stuff's arriving.

    In that, I mean I do design and being nice to people (well, talking to them and trying not to get too grumpy), but we have shops and distributors who do all the stuff I was bad at when I was trying to do it before.

    So - actually, I don't know when the new frames are landing. January is what I've been saying for a while, and I hope we can do that. Certainly not December. Frames weren't complete when I was in Taichung last week, so December is impossible. Not too much longer though.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,458
    Quote Originally Posted by brant
    Not too much longer though.


    Is this the same factory where the previous Blue Pigs were made as well?
    konahonzo

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek


    Is this the same factory where the previous Blue Pigs were made as well?
    Actually, no. The Piglet's and Troofs are made at the old factory everything else is made at a new factory.

    I'm telling you too much stuff now though.

    There are pictures on my twitpic site to give people more info, but that's all I'm saying :-)

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,121
    I vote we play Secret Santa on MTBR, and Brant picks me.............. I'll pm you my address for that custom hand-made blue pig....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •