mtbr member
    Jun 2005

who sells RAGLEY (mmmbop) in the US?

I was looking around and only Chain Reaction has them, but not my size
    where can I get those in the US?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    pretty sure noone.
    don't think ragley has a distributor in the US.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Most sizes are gone. Just wait for the 2011 Ragley Troof if aluminum is your thing.

mtbr member
    From the website overseas (not UK) dealers. none in the USA.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    mmmbops are discontinued for 2011 - so once they're gone they're gone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brant
    mmmbops are discontinued for 2011 - so once they're gone they're gone.
    Why? those are really good frames, are they going to be replace by a similar/better frame?

mtbr member
    Sales only really picked up when we hacked the price to clear them out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Sales only really picked up when we hacked the price to clear them out.
    ...so by any chance, do you have one size small, that you would send to Las Vegas NV?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lokomonkey
    ...so by any chance, do you have one size small, that you would send to Las Vegas NV?
    but seriously, Brant thanks for your reply, are you going to make another frame, with similar characteristics as the mmmbop?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lokomonkey
    but seriously, Brant thanks for your reply, are you going to make another frame, with similar characteristics as the mmmbop?
    See post #3.

GAME ON!
    i think the troof looks absolutely horrid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    See post #3.
    I don't believe that the 'troof' is as simple, clean looking lines, and light as the mmmbop, maybe it's designed for the same kind of riding? the rear triangle looks more compact in the mmmbop, and I just love the simple/sharp clean as a knife kind of look of the mmmbop.....

mtbr member
    Oh the Troof is a bit of a looker, if you know what I mean. Kind of unique lines, but they make sense.

Like I say, repeating point 7, mmmbops only moved when we dropped the price, and that price isn't sustainable for a long term view. It was a clearance price.

What we found in the first run of Ragley was that our customers LOVE steel. Even when you price a frame that's only a little bit more money, and a heap lighter, people still love steel.

It's only when the alloy frame is MUCH cheaper, people will choose it.

We'll reintroduce a new alloy frame at some point, with some revisions (I'm thinking tapered headtube, rather than straight 1.5in, and a few other things), but for now, mmmbop is resting.

jrn
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I for one really like the look of the Troof and can't wait to see one built up. If I'd have been unable to buy an mmmBop, I'd surely have bought the Troof for next summer.

The Sentinel

Sorry for jacking the thread, but...

...I'm one of those guys who love steel, so I'm wondering: When will the Bagger 288 be available?

What we found in the first run of Ragley was that our customers LOVE steel. Even when you price a frame that's only a little bit more money, and a heap lighter, people still love steel.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    mmmbops only moved when we dropped the price
    . . .

It's only when the alloy frame is MUCH cheaper, people will choose it.
    Here's the poorly-kept secret to late-season mmmBop sales: There's a crazy-cheap Revelation Team fork available from BikeWagon. A nice 140mm Trail/Light-All-Mtn fork with a 1.5" non-tapered steerer tube. It's a weird configuration. It fits the mmmBop.

Remove the clearance pricing on that combo and I would have bought a Blue Pig. A proper steel frame, not a collection of recycled beer cans. I have simply brainwashed myself to the point that I consider the mmmBop to be an aluminium Blue Pig.

CRC still a few Small Ragley Blue Pigs in-stock.

In summary: Have you ever heard of the Blue Pig? Still available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkevans
    Here's the poorly-kept secret to late-season mmmBop sales: There's a crazy-cheap Revelation Team fork available from BikeWagon. A nice 140mm Trail/Light-All-Mtn fork with a 1.5" non-tapered steerer tube. It's a weird configuration. It fits the mmmBop.
    Ah, those forks, they're what persuaded me to wait for the Pig X to come snuffling along.

mtbr member
    Brant, does the 2011 Piglet also take a 1.5 fork?

And I'm not able to find any standover height data for the Piglet, Bagger and Blue Pig in 18" and 20". Please fill me in. Thanks!

The Sentinel

Top tube length?

Hey Brant, what is the ETT measurement for a 16" Bagger?
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker62
    Hey Brant, what is the ETT measurement for a 16" Bagger?
    Posted on CRC.

I'm trying to get dimensions for standover height on the Bagger/Troof, Blue Pig and Piglet but no response from Brant on here or Facebook. I would really like to make a decision before these are in stock at CRC and start buying parts asap. :sigh:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    Posted on CRC.

I'm trying to get dimensions for standover height on the Bagger/Troof, Blue Pig and Piglet but no response from Brant on here or Facebook. :sigh:
    What tyre size?
    What fork length?
    What position on the top tube for measuring standover height?

There are so many variables and it's such a misleading dimension, it's probably best to think about it yourself and get an idea so you can make a decision.

I could throw some misleading/incorrect dimensions around to keep people quiet, but it's not really going to help.

Essentially, all the Ragleys size-to-size have increased standover for 2011 (the top tube joins the seat tube a bit lower down), and the Bagger has futher increased standover by having a shaped top tube.

Standover is a function of fork length, headtube length and "point where it joins the seat tube" so I am sure, given the dimensions you have on the CRC site, a bike with a similar length fork, and the dimension our "straight" top tube bikes hit the seat tube (centre of top tube hits the seat tube 72mm from the top), then you can do some meddling on your own current bikes and get some idea.

Personally I think standover is way over rated, as I never had standover over my YZ125 Enduro bike when I rode that, but seemed to get on ok.

Long travel bikes give short people clearance problems. But these disappear once rolling, and IME the only time people ever stand over bikes with the bike straight up is when they're checking for standover height.

mtbr member

Essentially, all the Ragleys size-to-size have increased standover for 2011 (the top tube joins the seat tube a bit lower down), and the Bagger has futher increased standover by having a shaped top tube.
    Basically that's all I wanted to hear, thanks Brant!

Now if I could only trouble you for some pics of the Troof in Other Red. What kind of shade are we talking here?

Going back and forth over the measurements and my wants, I have narrowed it down to a Blue Pig 2011 or Bagger/Troof. Piglet's out since it would only be a 20mm increase in travel from my current bike and just about the same steep geometry.

I want to try the slack Ragley geometry and jump on the bandwagon.

mtbr member
    Remember that Ragley geometry is listed as "sagged" - at the designed fork length less 28% sag. So our "68.5" bike (the Piglet) is still considerably slacker than other peoples 68.5deg "static" bikes.

I am not massively interested in another discussion about sagged vs static geometry, but basically, static geometry on long travel hardtails is a stupid way of describing things, and only useful for people with iphones, but no friends.

Sagged geometry gives you an idea of how a bike rides when you're on it (even if you're on it, on your own, with an iphone) .

Static geometry works for full suspension bikes because they drop down "vertically" when you sit on them. Hardtails don't. They only compress at the front. Steepening 2 or 3 degrees.

mtbr member
    Gotcha, definitely understanding more and more of how you get these measurements and it's all coming together and making sense.

Now how about a little preview of Troof in Other Red? Hopefully it's not a horrendous shade like the Chip Shop Curry Troof.

All the other 2011 Ragley colors are excellent, love them all, especially the Blue Pig in Not Blue Pig Blue mated with a white fork and the orange Ragley cockpit. Super nice and definitely my favorite from the lineup. Please don't make me wait until January to see that Troof, lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast