Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Who is riding an XL here?

If so, how tall are you?
    Vague question, i know. I ask because over the last few seasons my riding technique has changed a quite a bit, mostly for the better, and with this change i am starting to feel i want more room to move around on my bike as well as desiring a shorter overall stem length...I mean i manage fine but it is starting to seem as if i am trying to fit the bike instead of the bike fit me.
    Up until this year i always rode a "large" frame and at 6'2''(with ape arms and stilts for legs) i am usually at the upper end of the sizing spectrum for most manufacturers (and a nightmare to fit for road bikes).
    Just wondering what other XL bikes some riders here were on and your height.
    For what it is worth, the most comfy i think i ever felt on a frame right of the bat was a large Spesh Enduro FSR which accordingy to the geometrycharts is pretty damn big for a large when it comes to its stack and reach numbers.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah the sizes differ a lot from brand to brand. I'm 6'3" and I ride a XL Banshee Rune. 25" effective top tube, and I use a short stem.

I was riding a smaller L hard tail before that. The change is really great for descents and just getting low and turning. Much much better when you can stretch out and just power over rough stuff like a train. I'd get tossed doing the same on the hard tail. I say if you feel even a little cramped go bigger. But don't just go by the unisex sizing, make sure you measure it all out and compare to your current setup. I'm sure you realize that. Good luck!

mtbr member
    If you have long arms and legs, you should be riding shorter bikes, not bigger bikes. I guess that explains the comfort with the L frame.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    If you have long arms and legs, you should be riding shorter bikes, not bigger bikes. I guess that explains the comfort with the L frame.
    Can you explain that a little more for me?

mtbr member
    I was never into fat chicks.

mtbr member
    Me, I ride Sx Trail XL. See my posts, I allays had problems with cockpit.
    I made some calculations here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...uthkey=CPTi5hM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy

you sir, made me smile.

mtbr member
    I ride an XL giant yukon; XL tomac Sniper, and a L Hardrock. I am 6'2" as well. 34 inseam not sure of arm length. I am a fan of try before you buy as of course all bikes fit different.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    I ride an XL santacruz Blur LTC. I'm 6'5" 35" inseam. longish arms ( have dress shrt problems with arm lenght). Love the bike feels great under a big guy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    That has generally been my thinking as well. As far as pedaling goes, i figure that by the time my saddle is at the correct height (which is a pretty tall 80.5cm or so) it stretches the cockpit out quite a bit due to seat angle.
    The one variable in this for me though is that i have have a relatively short upper leg which seems to require me to slide my seat almost all the way forward on a zero offset post to get an efficient spin. This shortens the bike right back up.
    There could be more to this (flexibility, muscle imbalance etc) but this is my generally feeling.
    The one thing i do know, and that sucks, to me at least, is by the time i get my saddle up for pedaling my bars are looooow down. My current set up has almost 4 inches of drop to the bars from my saddle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm 75" tall. 34" inseem. I ride a Fischer Cake II XL. I was having some trouble with the geometry a while back and one of the guys I was riding with recommended an adjustable seat post.

I really like being able to extend the seat post all the way up grinding along on the flats. And I love being able to drop it a tiny bit on a hill climb. I don't get that super light front tire when I drop the seat a bit. Plus it is excellent in the descents. I tend to run my seat more forward on the post when I set it up unless the ride is going to be relatively flat.

Just my 2 cents. Probably more mental than anything else but being 6'3" seems to put me right in between an XL and an L on most frames and being able to drop the seat a bit here and there is a big plus.

usually cranky
    at first i was like but then i was like

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cskolnick
    If so, how tall are you?
    Vague question, i know. I ask because over the last few seasons my riding technique has changed a quite a bit, mostly for the better, and with this change i am starting to feel i want more room to move around on my bike as well as desiring a shorter overall stem length...I mean i manage fine but it is starting to seem as if i am trying to fit the bike instead of the bike fit me.
    Up until this year i always rode a "large" frame and at 6'2''(with ape arms and stilts for legs) i am usually at the upper end of the sizing spectrum for most manufacturers (and a nightmare to fit for road bikes).
    For what it is worth, the most comfy i think i ever felt on a frame right of the bat was a large Spesh Enduro FSR which accordingy to the geometrycharts is pretty damn big for a large when it comes to its stack and reach numbers.
    Thanks.
    try this... http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    More for me.

mtbr member
    Yes, I am 6'2" but mostly leg.... I ride an XL Heckler with a 70mm stem anything shorter and my knees would be hitting the bars all the time.

I can find AM bikes that fit but its looking like I am SOL for a freeride bike with enough reach for a short stem

Quote Originally Posted by cskolnick
    If so, how tall are you?
    Thanks.

perpetual pucker factor
    My name is Charging_Rhinos. I'm 6'3" tall, a rather fit 220lb, and I ride an XL Giant Reign 1 with a 50mm stem and 30" wide bars. I enjoy long rides near the beach, candle-lit garage bike tuning parties...
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trnsprt
    I'm 75" tall. 34" inseem. I ride a Fischer Cake II XL. I was having some trouble with the geometry a while back and one of the guys I was riding with recommended an adjustable seat post.

I really like being able to extend the seat post all the way up grinding along on the flats. And I love being able to drop it a tiny bit on a hill climb. I don't get that super light front tire when I drop the seat a bit. Plus it is excellent in the descents. I tend to run my seat more forward on the post when I set it up unless the ride is going to be relatively flat.

Just my 2 cents. Probably more mental than anything else but being 6'3" seems to put me right in between an XL and an L on most frames and being able to drop the seat a bit here and there is a big plus.
    Really good point. That made a big difference for me as well. Before that I would use different posts, a layback & straight on different days and on rides would manually change the post on different sections. The reverb I use now is the best solution for me.

I'm the same size inseam and height and also felt right on the fence between XL and L on many brands. That's why the fine details of the geo and sizing come into play. For example, a Yeti XL is frigging HUGE, while a Xl Banshee is not so much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IJBCape
    Can you explain that a little more for me?
    Yes. You can adjust the seatpost for the most part, to fit your legs. What you are really fitting with frame size is your reach. How long is your torso and arm reach and what feels good to you. If you have someone that is taller than someone else, but they both have the same length arms and torso, that is what matters the most (to me). You just raise or lower the seat a little to be pedaling in the right position.

People that worry about more or less seat post showing are forgetting that a longer seat TUBE is at the same angle no matter if it's short or long or made up of seat tube or seat post. Think about it in those terms and you'll quickly understand that you need to worry more about TT length and stem length than BB to top of ST length.

I hope that helps.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I hear you about torso length now. I didn't catch that's what you meant in that first post.

Yeah, no doubt it's important to get the right tt length and reach..

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    6'2" 35" inseem, Im going from a L to an XL Spec. Enduro

mtbr member
    I went from L to XL Sx Trail 2008. I prefer shorter stem for quick response. I want to be in the center of balance of bike when i ride. With L I always had to be far behind the center and to correct it I must bend my elbows and transfer my weight ahead which caused instability. With XL I was positioned better over the center and the longer wheelbase is more stable at speed. That's why I have better feeling with 70mm stem over the 50mm. I think that bending in handlebar is also important - with 40mm stem + 8 deg. backsweep and 50mm with 9deg sweep your hands could be at the same reach.
    Like it's said I think that torso and arm reach is more important.

MTB B'dos
    6'2.25" tall, 35.25" inseam and very long arms, have always ridden XLs and run stems over 100mm. Currently riding a Banshee Paradox XL, 25.25" ETT, 32.5 from center of BB to top of saddle, 20mm spacer, 110/6 stem with flat bar w/ 9 degree sweep (pic shows with 30mm spacers and zero stem).

I used to run zero stems, or flipped rise with about 1-2" drop between saddle and bars and 120mm stems, but have recently started shortening up the cockpit and like it a lot now for my not so good back. Slowly moved to the 110 stem and then started rasing the bars 5mm at a time and have settled on this setup, which is 7mm taller and has 14mm less reach, climbing hasn't suffered because of it, so it's all good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who is riding an XL here?-lynx-paradox.jpg  

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    http://www.leelikesbikes.com/stem-le...rail-bike.html
    http://www.leelikesbikes.com/stems-a...-and-high.html
    http://www.leelikesbikes.com/handleb...-revealed.html
    http://www.leelikesbikes.com/again-t...ght-thing.html
    I wrote the Lee McCormac book first chapters and he said that:
    "Elbows Out
    How: Hold your elbows out until they’re in line with your shoulders. Try for a
    90-degree angle between your forearm and upper arm, and a 90-degree angle
    between your upper arm and your torso.
    Why: Get down and do 100 push-ups. OK, 10 will do. Trythem with your elbows
    closetoyourbody;thenrock’emwithyourelbowsout. It’seasierwithyourelbows
    out, isn’tit? When you ride with your elbows out, you are stronger, and you have
    more range of motion for pushing, pulling, and leaning."
    Who is riding an XL here?-project02.jpg
    first pictures are with 40mm /10deg stem, seconds are with 70mm/10deg D2 stem (cranks are 180s)
    In my setup I cannot make 90 degree between forearm and upper arm because I need 100mm or bigger stem maybe
    Name:  fit2.gif
Views: 974
Size:  343.6 KB - I'm trying to be with "light hands and weighted legs here(belly button(cg) over the BB)"
    maybe wider bar has influence with short stem but I don't know how.
    Last edited by codename47; 11-25-2010 at 06:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by codename47
    Me, I ride Sx Trail XL. See my posts, I allays had problems with cockpit.
    I made some calculations here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...uthkey=CPTi5hM

Looking form the pic's you could do a 29er. I am 6'4" and spent way too much time fiddling w/ bars, stems, fork lengths etc. trying to get a balanced ride. I demo'd a 29er last week that wasn't set-up near to my liking - Wow even set-up wrong It felt 100x better than my 26er.

mtbr member
    I am a tall guy so I read all these posts and often see the "get a 29er" recommendation, but I just dont get it... how do larger wheels get you a longer reach/bigger bike?

I dont care if its a 29er, 26er or a 650b... I just wish I I had more options when it comes to getting a bike with a longer reach (not many fit and even fewer to demo )

Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Looking form the pic's you could do a 29er. I am 6'4" and spent way too much time fiddling w/ bars, stems, fork lengths etc. trying to get a balanced ride. I demo'd a 29er last week that wasn't set-up near to my liking - Wow even set-up wrong It felt 100x better than my 26er.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast