Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Who Rides an El Guapo???

What up peeps...

So I'm getting married soon and trying to save my pennies. I've put aside a bit to get a new frame, and have been looking at the Transition Covert and Yeti SB-66 (the Transition wins mostly because it's a few hundred cheaper...). But then I got a look at the El Guapo, a bike I've seen before and always had some interest in, and thought the smart idea might be to go with that as oppossed to the T'sition or the Yeti. I'd save quite a bit and get a bike that was generally competitive (at least from what can be read on the Titus website) with my first two choices.

So my questions are: Who's got one, and what do you think of it? If it's as good a bike as it is a deal, I'll be happy. Thanks in advance!

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    I ended up goin with the elguapo over the covert only because it was cheaper.And after a year i have no regrets.Climbs well and bombs downhill.I do xc to light freeride and the bike has preformed excellent.

Off the back...
    I rode mine for three years as a do-everything bike, from all-day rides with as much climbing as descending to riding chairlifts and shuttling DH runs. The main reason that I'm moving on is that I test-rode an Ibis Mojo , and it was time for a change. Given that a new El Guapo frame is less than half the price of a Mojo HD frame, the Titus represents a tremendous value.

BUILD
    - 2009 medium El Guapo
    - XT gearing/shifting/cranking/pedaling
    - XT brakes [200/180 front/rear]
    - Fox TALAS 36 RC2 180
    - Cane Creek Angleset
    - Fox RP23
    - Hope/Mavic 823 wheels
    - Maxxis Ardent 2.4 EXO front, Conti Rubber Queen 2.4 UST rear; both tubeless
    - Race Face SIXc bar, Ragley Stubbing stem, some grips
    - Reverb, Selle Italia Flite

PROS
    - plush, so very plush
    - really stiff
    - loads of tire clearance
    - very hard to kill
    - ISCG mounts
    - set up nicely as 2x10
    - climbed very well
    - dirt cheap for what it is

CONS
    - wallows in the middle of travel while climbing, although this is due to the bad factory tune for the RP23 [if you can get one with a Monarch or a CCDB, they're apparently a much better match to this frame]
    - 68-degree head angle is a bit steep for a bike like this [I added an Angleset to change the head angle to 66.5]
    - a little heavy compared to carbon fibre frames

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sweet, this is want I want to hear! Thanks guys. For any bad things I've ever heard/read about the frame, the good far outweighs it. Please, keep the comments coming!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm on one and Love it. They have had some quality control with the BB height so keep an eye out about that. My version has the steeper head angle, 68 deg, but with newer ones having a 67 deg HTA. Anyway, the bike climbs super well. Just a bit of bob when in saddle and spinning BUT it has active suspension which gives it loads of traction.

I've owned a Nomad and while it was a bit more capable of plowing they the chunk, the El G is a better all around bike. My other bikes have been more trail or XC so I can't compare them. Bottom line, nothing at MSRP comes even close to the value the EG brings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Cool. So far all seems good! Looks like I'll be pretty happy if I decide to go with the EG. More than anything I'll use it for long, all day-ish rides, but it'll also see some time racing a few enduro races this season. I'm glad to hear that durability seems to be one of the highly rated aspects of the bike. I'll keep an eye out for the BB height as well. Hope they've managed to get that sorted.

NOT Team Sanchez
    I've been on my El Guapo five years, and many other bikes later, I'm still riding it. Why? Because it does everything better than any other bike I've ever owned, which something like 30 bikes now, and yes, I'm nuts To specify, it doesn't do any one thing better than some other frames, but is truly a jack of all trades and will do everything well. Here's another consideration, suspension designate, both the Covert and SB are single pivots, which is fine, but the EG's a true four bar design and you WILL notice the improved control and action in the rough stuff! When you take all this into account, dang this is starting to sound like a research essay ughh, and add the amazing price to the equation, it's a straightforward choice, at least IMO.

Oh and I'm riding the original model.....
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04 View Post
    I've been on my El Guapo five years, and many other bikes later, I'm still riding it. Why? Because it does everything better than any other bike I've ever owned, which something like 30 bikes now, and yes, I'm nuts To specify, it doesn't do any one thing better than some other frames, but is truly a jack of all trades and will do everything well. Here's another consideration, suspension designate, both the Covert and SB are single pivots, which is fine, but the EG's a true four bar design and you WILL notice the improved control and action in the rough stuff! When you take all this into account, dang this is starting to sound like a research essay ughh, and add the amazing price to the equation, it's a straightforward choice, at least IMO.

Oh and I'm riding the original model.....
    Awesome! This is exactly what I'm looking for, both in your response and in the bike itself. I never can say that I ride "one" type of trail, or even "one" type of discipline. Rather, I'm constantly using the same bike for a variety of things from smooth and flowy singletrack to bikepark-like trails with some jumps and drops in them to chunky, natural trails. The EG seems like it's going to be the perfect fit for me and my riding style.
    Thanks again for taking the time to help me out everyone!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'll add a few more comments that I left out of my post. If you are not going to put a 160mm+ fork on the bike, forget the newer version of the EG unless Brant has plans to raise that bottom bracket. Even at propper height, the BB is way low with a 150mm fork. I ran a Sektor on mine and it was OK but had some pedal strike issues in non-rocky situations. On the other hand, the low BB makes for a sick handling ride.

When I was referring to how much traction the bike has on the climbs, I was not overstating this. I can tractor up stuff that most people cannot clear and I'm not a super efficient climber by any means.

The Nomad (v1.5 and a bit more overbuilt than the v2) did feel like a much burlier bike but it also had a 1.5 head tube and steer. It felt more on the freeride side of things where the EG feels much more capable as a do-it-all bike. I'd not hesitate taking the EG to the bike park but it will have its limits as it isn't a DH/FR bike.

If you are stillon the fence I'd be happy to write some more convincing statements

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    I'll add a few more comments that I left out of my post. If you are not going to put a 160mm+ fork on the bike, forget the newer version of the EG unless Brant has plans to raise that bottom bracket. Even at propper height, the BB is way low with a 150mm fork. I ran a Sektor on mine and it was OK but had some pedal strike issues in non-rocky situations. On the other hand, the low BB makes for a sick handling ride.

When I was referring to how much traction the bike has on the climbs, I was not overstating this. I can tractor up stuff that most people cannot clear and I'm not a super efficient climber by any means.

The Nomad (v1.5 and a bit more overbuilt than the v2) did feel like a much burlier bike but it also had a 1.5 head tube and steer. It felt more on the freeride side of things where the EG feels much more capable as a do-it-all bike. I'd not hesitate taking the EG to the bike park but it will have its limits as it isn't a DH/FR bike.

If you are stillon the fence I'd be happy to write some more convincing statements
    Haaaa, no need to write any more-I'm pretty much sold! I'm a little weary of a SUPER low BB, but I do plan on building it up with a 170mm fork, and you are right about super sick handling with the lower BB. I've ridden a lower BB in the past and managed to get used to that, so I'm guessing this won't be all that big of a deal.
    Looking forward to potentially ordering it soon, at least if it comes back into stock on their US website!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    the super low BB thing was a manufacturing defect that affected a certain batch of frames i believe, most people who had those frames have had them replaced under warranty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by b45her View Post
    the super low BB thing was a manufacturing defect that affected a certain batch of frames i believe, most people who had those frames have had them replaced under warranty.
    Nice, that's good to hear. On the flip side (other than the low BB that effected a certain number of frames), has anyone had a BAD experience with the EG? Anything that would keep you from recommending the company? Bad customer service, warranty, etc.? I'm just trying to get a well rounded idea of everything before pulling the trigger on a purchase. So far, though, it seems pretty hard to beat!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Do yourself a favor and head over to the Titus sub-forum and read the lengthy thread regarding the El Guapo. It is very informative, and has tons of info regarding the problems that have cropped up with the EG.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2013 Intense Spider 29...Can-Am Yellow...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    Do yourself a favor and head over to the Titus sub-forum and read the lengthy thread regarding the El Guapo. It is very informative, and has tons of info regarding the problems that have cropped up with the EG.
    I had a look at the Titus sub-forum but couldn't find a specific thread on the El Guapo. There were some like "El Guapo Love", "El Guapo setups", etc., but I didn't find anything that was specific to reviews on the bike. If you could provide a link I'd really appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?

This thread is in regards to the low BB height problem that is/was occurring. I was in the same boat as you are in now with regards to purchasing the EG. After reading all 23 pages of the thread, and talking to some of the posters who were complaining about the problems, I decided against going through with the purchase. That's not to say you should not purchase it. The thread is for information to make an educated decision based on said info. I've decided to instead go in the 650b/27.5 direction. If you really want to set your mind at ease, email Brant with Titus and ask if the low BB height problem has been rectified.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2013 Intense Spider 29...Can-Am Yellow...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    To b45her, the "extremely low" BB issue was a result of a manufacturing defect. However, as I referred to it in my post, the normal BB height of the newer versions of EG are still quite low for a 150mm travel frame. That was/is not a bash against the bike but a note about its geometry that I was pointing out to the OP. for riders in very rocky areas it can be an issue, even if they got a propper frame.

Other than that, I did get one of the frames with a shallow bore upper head tube which made the $100 slackset headset that I bought unusable. The recommendation from Titus and On One was to go and have it reamed deeper or use their house brand headset. That didn't sit we'll with me after calling 30+ bike shops to try and find someone that could do the work without success. Brant ended up having the standard smoothie headset shipped to me at no charge which was an acceptable solution as far as I was concerned. The folks at Titus USA took care of that issue before frames left the warehouse.

As a friend of Titus, having owned a Motolite for years and being a fan of the company in general, I will keep supporting the company by saying what's right with their bikes but I will not refrain from telling someone about my overall experiences with them. As I see it, On One bought a company with an extremely good reputation in the mtb community and they need to do everything that they can to retain that reputation, put out solid bikes and not make Titus just a decal that that slap onto an inferior product. I think that bringing on Brant to head up development was a step in the right direction.

Nuff said.

perpetual pucker factor
    Regarding the suspension design comment earlier, the EG is also a single pivot just like many other types. It is a single pivot, lever actuated four bar. Speshy, trek, Kona, and many others use the same thing. They just change the pivot and rocker locations.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?

This thread is in regards to the low BB height problem that is/was occurring. I was in the same boat as you are in now with regards to purchasing the EG. After reading all 23 pages of the thread, and talking to some of the posters who were complaining about the problems, I decided against going through with the purchase. That's not to say you should not purchase it. The thread is for information to make an educated decision based on said info. I've decided to instead go in the 650b/27.5 direction. If you really want to set your mind at ease, email Brant with Titus and ask if the low BB height problem has been rectified.
    Thanks for taking the time to post that. I'm pretty much sold on the bike, particularly given good reviews I've come across (the only negative thing seems to be the low BB). I will try and get in touch with Brant and see what's going on. Is "Brant" his name on mtbr? Thanks again for the info!

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    Regarding the suspension design comment earlier, the EG is also a single pivot just like many other types. It is a single pivot, lever actuated four bar. Speshy, trek, Kona, and many others use the same thing. They just change the pivot and rocker locations.
    There are two pivot points between the bb and the rear axle on the EG, not one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    "Speshy" is a single pivot???
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm not an engineer nor am I a suspension design guru. BUT, saying that a Horst link is a single pivot is not accurate. It is a variation of a 4-bar design.

OP, yes, Brant can be foound in the above referenced thread as well as in other threads on the Titus forum. Brant Richards... former Kingpin of Ragley Bikes.

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    It's not a single pivot leverage activated four bar.
    --
    brant
    http://www.shedfire.com
    Designing for Titus USA, On-One and Planet X.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    welcome to the party, Brant!

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    welcome to the party, Brant!
    Let's see what tangent this one runs off into!
    --
    brant
    http://www.shedfire.com
    Designing for Titus USA, On-One and Planet X.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    let's just ban ****gade from posting in this thread and we should be A.O.K.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast