mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Who has experience with 1x10 speed for enduro/light dh.

Hello,

at the moment I ride downhill. But I'm selling my bike to buy a claymore. I have such cool enduro singletracks here dat an enduro bike is more interesting to have and more fun then a overkill downhill bike.

But whe have some cool (light) downhill tracks here, I want to use the claymore for some jumping and downhill riding on those tracks. And next year I gonna ride some enduro compititions, like the mega avalanche.

I have a 10 speed 11/36 cassette and want to go ride with single ring in the front, but what size sprocket can I use the best? So I can also do some uphill, the uphill here are not so heavy, we have hills, no mountains.

So I need a sprocket in the front where I can do some uphill with and downhill. 34 tooth? 36 tooth?

Who can help me?

Best regards,

Jeroen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylomat View Post
    Hello,

at the moment I ride downhill. But I'm selling my bike to buy a claymore. I have such cool enduro singletracks here dat an enduro bike is more interesting to have and more fun then a overkill downhill bike.

But whe have some cool (light) downhill tracks here, I want to use the claymore for some jumping and downhill riding on those tracks. And next year I gonna ride some enduro compititions, like the mega avalanche.

I have a 10 speed 11/36 cassette and want to go ride with single ring in the front, but what size sprocket can I use the best? So I can also do some uphill, the uphill here are not so heavy, we have hills, no mountains.

So I need a sprocket in the front where I can do some uphill with and downhill. 34 tooth? 36 tooth?

Who can help me?

Best regards,

Jeroen.

The severity of climbs is always a matter of opinion. You also have to take into account your level of fitness.

When choosing my front, I road a 3x10 and experimented with the middle chain ring which was a 32, and I road around all of my tracks in only that ring. I then got a 34 when going 1x10.

You also have to consider your top speed. With a smaller chain ring, the slower the top speed.

It is a word that is used a lot, but it is all a compromise.
    Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon - Specialized Demo 8 II
    YKYMF - YouTube Channel - AM/DH Vids

wuss
    Somebody riding the same trails can probably help. There's not much difference between a 34 or 36 in the rear, so don't count on that making a huge difference for climbing.

I'm currently riding 28t in the front, and 11-32 in the back. I'm considering going 32 in the front and 11-36 in the rear which should give me approximately the same ratio on the low end... Most people here who I know have gone 1x9 have switched back to 2x9 as there are some pretty steep climbs, but just 50km away the trails are very different and everyone seems happy with 1x9. What I'm saying, is that if you take advice from somebody riding completely different trails / fittness / skill level you will likely go wrong...

SamIAm
    i have a 32/22 front. i still end up using my granny quite a bit for the climbs i do. 1k-2k vert with some steep climbs.

i end up running out of gears really quick once i get pointed downhill. but then i end up just pumping and stuff.

i could do prolly 80% of my climbing with the 32. but the 22 is totally worth keeping for the rest of it.

what i want is a 36/22 front. for where i ride. seems that location/fitness end up making the decision for you.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

Oh, So Interesting!
    I ride 1x10 w/32t front ring and it is definitely a compromise... for most of what I ride I'm fine with it, because if I need a lower gear walking is usually just as fast and grinding up steep climbs isn't my idea of fun anyway. However, there are a couple trails that i like to ride that have a lot of short steep climbs, so you either have to walk or stand up and mash the pedals to make the climbs. If you are in great shape standing is easier, but it does use more energy which is an issue on long rides. Walking the short steep sections also sucks because you have to get on and off the bike too much. I also ride an '09 Remedy, and it does not pedal as well as friends' NomadC, Tracer VP or Mojo HD. It is ok, but not a very effecient pedaler. I think 1x10 would work even better on a better pedaling bike than the Remedy. Would like a NomadC with PUSH link and CCDB, but need to win the lottery first...

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamL3227 View Post
    i have a 32/22 front. i still end up using my granny quite a bit for the climbs i do. 1k-2k vert with some steep climbs.

i end up running out of gears really quick once i get pointed downhill. but then i end up just pumping and stuff.

i could do prolly 80% of my climbing with the 32. but the 22 is totally worth keeping for the rest of it.

what i want is a 36/22 front. for where i ride. seems that location/fitness end up making the decision for you.
    I have had both 32/22 and 36/22... With 32/22 you can keep it in 32 all the time except for steep climbs, so you don't shift as much as 36/22. You can also use a smaller diameter bashguard, which is noticable. Also, 36/22 doesnt shift quite as well as 32/22, because of the huge difference in diameters. I like 32/22, but I don't use/need the extra gear on the high end where I ride, which is the only advantage of running 36/22 imo.

mtbr member
    My usual riding is hilly as well. Lots of somewhat steep down then up then down, etc. I ride a 37lbs Bullit with a 11-34 cassette and 32t (1x9). I can clear anything I have come across as long as I am up to the effort. I am very happy and doubt I will ever ride anything besides a 1x9 or 1x10 again. The granny is unnecessary other than for steep grade longer hauls. Also it will force you into a bit better shape because you cannot get lazy, sitting and spinning.

You should be fine with either 32 or 34, wouldnt go higher.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    Would like a NomadC with PUSH link and CCDB, but need to win the lottery first...
    Haha I am on the same boat. That is THE bike right there. w/ I9 and a 36 Van... mmhmm
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

Ride and Smile
    Start small and move up. I ride a 32, 34, or 36 depending on the time of the season, where I am and what I'm doing. If you start with a 32, you may find yourself spinning more as you move to bigger gears. But, I don't think it really matters where you start. Pick a ring and ride it. Your likely to try other gearing and find what you like the best.
    Last edited by axolotl; 09-04-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    1 x 10 is great if your rides aren't really long or have very many steep climbs. Its when you factor in steep climbs and your legs are a bit fatigued from pedaling for 2 1/2 hrs that the shortcomings of 1x10 show there ugly head. If your fresh 1x10 is no biggie even going up something steep, but it sucks when your legs aren't fresh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    1 x 10 is great if your rides aren't really long or have very many steep climbs. Its when you factor in steep climbs and your legs are a bit fatigued from pedaling for 2 1/2 hrs that the shortcomings of 1x10 show there ugly head. If your fresh 1x10 is no biggie even going up something steep, but it sucks when your legs aren't fresh.
    Or it is fantastic when you usually ride SS.

FWIW, I run a 33T chain ring on my 1x10 with a 12-36 cassette.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Or it is fantastic when you usually ride SS.

FWIW, I run a 33T chain ring on my 1x10 with a 12-36 cassette.
    The difference is singlespeeds usually don't weigh 30+ lbs and have 6" of travel, and sport 900 gram tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm not sure if you are Hawiian or African american but I'll try to post appropriately. I wen bus out some rides all up in da house in Downieville on da 1x10 yestaday an shizz. Hammoed da DH wid 11 36 x 34 front an git plenny. Neva stay futting on da uphill. And my homeys never schooled me on the DH.
    Just got back from the MTBR gathering and still spinning!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have two bikes:
    Bike one: 1x9 (32/11-34) Carbon Hardtail
    Bike two: 1x10 (32/11-36) Intense Tracer Vp

I find these set-ups perfect for all the rides I do (but I dont have any monster climbs where I live). With a 32 I can get up any hill provided it doesnt go on for too long and I never spin out in top gear (unless I am riding on the road). I haven't missed a crappy front derailleur one and love the silence, simplicity and reliability of a 1x set-up.

mtbr member
    If you are mainly pedaling downhills, and aren't climbing thousands of feet, definitely go with a 36. a 34 will probably be too slow for you. I live in a hilly area, and climb just fine with a 36. I would definitely run out of gears with anything less. Btw, the MRP G2 SL is the shizzz
    Stop reading my signature. Go ride.

mtbr member
    32 teeth chainring with 11-36 cassette right here...

It's not at all steep were I ride, so I do fine with a 32t, but the more a train, the more I want a 34t...

I think a 34 teeth chainring is a good choice.
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

Singletrack Slayer

Love my 1x setups!

Here in the SouthEast we have climbs, but not too long.. I have several bike setups and I run a 34t with E13 LG1 and 11-32 1x10, My bike is built up at ~28.25 lbs. It's a Diamondback Mission 4...6" travel with a 36 Talas 120/160, Super fun, climbs really well...flies on the DH.....
    Of course as said above....legs will decide your choice of cassette and or 32-36t range up front. I can climb all the trails I ride with this setup, some climbs are tough but worth it.. I find it hard to spin out of gear @ 11- 34 when you are mostly in the woods on tight single track, but you can get up some good speed, ~35ish mph . I would at least start w/ 32t to try out the setup and go from there. There are some places I would not want to be climbing on it all day(34t)....But that's why I got a "XC" bike for that 26lbs bike that climbs anything, its a rocket 11/32 with a 32t doublebash.. 1x9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who has experience with 1x10 speed for enduro/light dh.-dsc02194.jpg  

Who has experience with 1x10 speed for enduro/light dh.-dsc02168.jpg  

Who has experience with 1x10 speed for enduro/light dh.-mission-4-weight.jpg  

~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    On my Firebird I run a 34t chainring with my 10speed 11-36 cassette and have been able to get up everything I could when running a 22/36 front set up. Towards the end of a ride the climbs can feel a bit tougher but it's good exercise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hammerschmidt perhaps?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i run a 32 front with a 11-36 cassette on my mojo hd and i think the type of bike you have makes a difference too. i can pedal uphill better on my hd with 1x10 than on my stumpjumper comp with a 3x10. the 32 works great because i feel once your up to speed on a downhill you can usually pump the trail for speed