mtbr member
    Oct 2009

white lightning bad on paint?

if any of you know whether or not white lightning's clean streak degreaser is ok to use on paint that would be great.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't recommend it, but I've had overspray and drip from it on Santa Cruz powdercoat, Indie Fab PPG, and Giant anodizing.

I've always washed it off quickly and thoroughly and then hit the frame with some instant detailer.

I wouldn't let it sit on paint for more than a few minutes in the sun.

That stuff is great for cleaning parts down to bare metal and cleaning rotors, but it will quickly kill some seals/dustguards on hubs, forks, and bearings if left to sit on them.

I think it's better/safer to pull the parts to be degreased off the bike or else use a rag to apply the degreaser instead of hitting the parts on the bike with the spray can.

For degreasing and cleaning frame paint, I've had the best results from using instant spray auto detailers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    aite much appreciated, this helped a lot.

ballbuster

Dunno....

Quote Originally Posted by headventures
    if any of you know whether or not white lightning's clean streak degreaser is ok to use on paint that would be great.
    do you have a painted frame? Really, only high end boutique small builder lugged steel roadie/touring/fixie kinda frames are painted.

Most everything is powder coated these days. Powder coating is pretty chemical resistant. Its mostly a heat bonding melting plastic kinda process rather than an evaporating solvent curing kinda process.

Part two is do you really wanna clean your bike with a degreaser? If you're gonna wash your bike, use something more like soap. I use car wash soap. You can get a lifetime supply sized bottle for like $4 at Kragen.