mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Whic is a better front tire?

I've got a Trail King 2.4 UST with Black Chili and Mountain King II 2.4 UST. Which is a better front tire?

I'm familiar with the MK II 2.4 UST, having used that before as a front tire (was paired with a MK II 2.2 UST). I haven't tried the Trail King 2.4 UST with Black Chili yet.

Tires to be mounted on Flow EX rims on a Remedy.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I would side with the Mountain King for the all-around needs of rooty/rocky/wet/bone-dry that one may encounter in the PNW, as every Trail King I've ridden seemed to squirm in tight corners. Disclaimer: I have never conducted back to back testing of both 2.4 versions on the same bike and rim. That being said, I've ridden enough of both to have an opinion.

Also, have you measured the inflated widths of both? My MK 2.4 never measured more than 2.3" mounted on a WTB All Mtn SpeedDisc.

For your purposes, I'd recommend this thread:
    Continental Mountain King II or Trail King on Oregon Trails

Huffy Rider
    I have back to back experience with the 2.2 TK UST BC and the 2.4 MK2 Protection. (both front and rear I might add) I ride lots of rock, chunk, drops, tech, etc...I live in AZ. I prefer the TK for both the front and rear, but mostly the front. I like to run low pressures and if you run the MK2 with the low pressure like I like, it seems to squirm when pushing it hard. It feels kinda flimsy almost. I played around with different pressures but they never felt as solid as the TK. I like the extra stiffness of the burlier sidewalls on the TK. I really tried to like the MK2 as they are lighter and roll nice and fast, but I didn't feel as confident on them. Plus the MK2 wear faster and seem to leak air faster then the TK. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    The trail king 2.4 ust is hands down the best front tire for AM riding!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks guys.

I find it odd that the Trail King 2.4 UST with Apex sidewalls feels lighter compared to the non-Apex MK II 2.4 UST I have, even if the said TK is 1kg+ while the MKII is 800+ grams.

TK is easier to mount also on the Flow EX rims. I had difficulty fitting the MK II on the rim.

Ideally, I'd go TK front and rear, but there was only one TK 2.4 at the shop, and they told me they dunno when new stock will arrive, so I guess in the meantime my MK II will be a rear tire, yes?

All the MK II 2.4s available are of the non-Apex variety. The Apex sidewalls are such nice eye candy ahehehe....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I don't have the UST versions but I find the TK to get squirmy if I run too low of pressure. I think a lot of it has to do with how tall the knobs are. I don't get that same feeling if I keep the psi up to where it likes to be.

mtbr member

Re: Whic is a better front tire?

Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    I don't have the UST versions but I find the TK to get squirmy if I run too low of pressure. I think a lot of it has to do with how tall the knobs are. I don't get that same feeling if I keep the psi up to where it likes to be.
    What psi and what weight are you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I like to run 30+ psi and I weigh 195 w/o gear. The more hardpack, the more pressure. I top out around 35 psi. Thinking about it more, the volume of this tire probably leads to the same feeling as much as the knobs because so much of the volume comes from sidewall height.

It's my favorite front tire though. Ever.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    BTW, I also run a MKII 2.4 Protection on my trail bike as a front tire. Have run the MK II as a rear as well. It's a much faster tire than the TK, IMO and if I had to choose between the two for a front, TK would win every day. MK has that gap in the transition section between center tread and corner knobs. That doesn't bother me when running it on the front as I have not felt a lack of transition grip regardless of the tread design.

Huffy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    It has to do with it NOT being a UST tire. 30 lbs is kind of lot, but then you're not running the UST's so apples to oranges.

If they had those two tires on the shelf, MK2 in the rear, TK up front is what I would do.

I'm with stupid
    TK 2.4 UST hands down. I run one on my AM bike and it is a special tire. You get used to the amount of grip after a couple rides and then it feels kinda sketchy again. This is because you end up just going faster with this tire on the front. You really notice how well it works once you stick something else on. That said the UST is the big difference maker, the stouter sidewalls searve this tire well. I have done the non ust version and found it a bit squirmy but not the UST version.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks guys! A TR 2.4 UST front and MK II 2.4 UST rear sound very good then! I can't wait to have my new wheels built so I can ride with these tires already. Currently using stock Duster + Bontrager tires with my Remedy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Where would you put each of these tires? front/rear... Conti Trail King and Kenda Nevegal. I know it's not ideal but which tire would go front and which rear and why?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by membrain View Post
    Where would you put each of these tires? front/rear... Conti Trail King and Kenda Nevegal. I know it's not ideal but which tire would go front and which rear and why?
    Trail King corners better, rolls faster (nothing rolls slower than a Nevegal) and brakes better. The Nevegal rolls fine once it's bald. Get that thing bald and stick it on the rear. Or better yet bin it
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    What size are the tires?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    What size are the tires?
    2.3's... right now i have trail king in the rear and nevegal in the front. should i swap?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by membrain View Post
    2.3's... right now i have trail king in the rear and nevegal in the front. should i swap?
    yah I hear the nev is a horrid front

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tryinghardrider View Post
    I've got a Trail King 2.4 UST with Black Chili and Mountain King II 2.4 UST. Which is a better front tire?

I'm familiar with the MK II 2.4 UST, having used that before as a front tire (was paired with a MK II 2.2 UST). I haven't tried the Trail King 2.4 UST with Black Chili yet.

Tires to be mounted on Flow EX rims on a Remedy.

Thanks.
    front depends on the outside corner knobs size and shape. the spacing to get to those knobs. the angle they face. if some of the side knobs have L patterens. or more accurately appear to look like a seven and reverse seven while you are mounted on the bike; they are good front tires. Or if the side knobs are angeled inward, like an arrow pointed forward. The newer mountain king look like a good front also. as long as you have side nobs pointed inward. Same with the tk there is one small set of side nobs that are an angled row. Again point them inward like arrows pointed forward. the old mk is whack. Between the two the mk looks like a faster center tread so i would put on the rear. Plus its not as voluptuous as the tk. Also making the tk a better front
    Last edited by akiracornell; 05-31-2013 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member
    IMHO I wouldn't run the nev front or rear! But if I had to then I would keep it as you have it. Real quick though the TK only comes in 2.2 or 2.4. So it you have a 2.2 then keep that as a rear.

Blurt
    Aug 2010
    Agreed. Black chill is insane and with UST I have not had a flat in over two years now.