Wrench

Wherein I Notice My Tire is Melting...

I wish I could make this up.

So I'm making my morning commute from Casas del FAL to an organic chemistry class, and I see that my front tire has an unsymmetrical something-or-another going on with it. Couldn't tell much, it was kinda spinning pretty fast.

So after I park my bike, I decide to give it a look.

I see that my rubber tire, in one part, seems to have taken on the consistancy of sponge. It went from hard rubber to sponge. I mean I could peel it off with my fingers.

I took some pictures for you guys.

Scary part: I do believe it's spread.

So I'm thinking I parked in a chemical of some sort? I'm no chemical engineer, I prefer my material alive and kicking.

What's the scoop? Is this a common occurance and I'm just being stupid about it?

Rediscovered
    Haven't sat your tires in puddles of WD-40, have you?

That is odd.

mtbr member
    next time you will know to keep the tire mounted further away from the exhaust of your hovercraft when you carry it on your trunk rack.

Dirt Deviant
    Yea, I've seen that before. Must have had the tire too close to the exhaust the last time you put it on the trunk rack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That's really weird, I guess it is either an exust pipe or a chemical reaction.

Wrench
    I didn't think it was close to my exhaust. I'll check it again to make sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I think that tire is Toast. ha

aka Willy Vanilly
    Same thing happened to me from the tire being too close to the exhaust.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

Wrench
    Alright. Well then I'll replace it when it competely dies.

Or the next time I get on campus and can rummage through my junk pile... Yes, my bike was built from parts I found around campus. I recently actually spent money on it (fixed a shifter, BB7 rear, new peddles, etc), so the next few repairs are coming from the junk yard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by will8250
    Same thing happened to me from the tire being too close to the exhaust.
    Makes you think twice about smoking, doesn't it?

http://www.asthmaregionalcouncil.org...CarExhaust.pdf

http://www.patienthealthinternationa..._item2876.aspx

Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i had the same thing happen to mine... it was too close to the exhaust that sucks when that happens. I learned my lesson though.

wait...what?
    it shows a certain resemblance to something...crap...

I can't remember

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ttowry
    i had the same thing happen to mine... it was too close to the exhaust that sucks when that happens. I learned my lesson though.
    Me too. Burned through the sidewall - flat when I arrived. Almost salvaged the ride by finding a plastic bottle on the side of the road, cutting a piece to fit, patching the tube, etc. Lasted about a half mile and ended with a loud BANG! It was a good day - I learned a lot.

not a paid spokesperson
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL
    Yes, my bike was built from parts I found around campus.
    Hey! My bike was built from parts I found around campus too. I don't know if you had the same problem I did, but while I easily picked up like two or three wheelsets, and snagged a couple good sets of components, I just couldn't seem to get a frame...everyone kept locking THOSE to things!

Seriously though, where the hell do you just find random serviceable bike parts laying around on a campus.

Wrench
    Pretty easy, really. In fact a buddy of mine and have made a small business out of refurbishing frames and old busted-up bikes around campus.

In fact, the campus goes through and collects all the bikes at the end of the year. You can pick up amazing deals when they decide to auction them off.

I've got a shimano acera rear derailleur that's waiting to be put on a bike, if I feel like another project. Right now I'm fixing up an old Marin I found in the bushes for a buddy of mine on the pistol team here at campus.

People abandon bikes all the time. I learned how to service bikes by trying to fix people's Nexts and Magnas.

mtbr member
    huh, sounds like the bike locker in my building. I have lived here for close to 5 years, and there are a bunch of bikes down there that have never moved. Building manager finally is putting together a program to identify which are abandoned and will donate the remainder.