Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

When do you use your Dropper Post?

I've had my dropper post a couple of weeks. The only scenario that I have used it is putting the post down while I do a downhill and it feels a little strange to me . There is no saddle to rest my inner thigh against for a feeling of control. I do find it less intimidating to put my ass over the rear wheel when doing a short steep decent to keep from going over the bars.
    But what other scenarios do you use the dropper post for.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Any time the trail goes downhill. On my local 6 mile loop I probably drop it 6 or 8 times on the mostly uphill section alone, and raise it at least as many times on the little climbs on the downhill section.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I remove/lower the saddle when its not needed. By that i mean when i dont need to sit on it and pedal. Why? Because its in my way from moving my body around as i wish.

You should not keep your legs and thies so close to the bike. It lowers your stability. Wide stance on arms and legs gives you the best controll.

beater

I use it anytime I want the saddle in a certain place. Usually that's at full extension for seated climbing on a steep hill, or fully down for a descent, or some technical pedaling section where I want the saddle out of the way. The other times I usually ride with the saddle down slightly.

It's a learning curve, but I think you'll notice that your downhills improve as you get more used to not gripping the saddle with your thighs. That's dated technique now. You'll have better results by getting the saddle out of the way so you have some separation between you and your bike, and can lean the bike over while maintaining position. I'm on a phone and don't have access to a photo of proper cornering to illustrate the point, but they're not hard to find online.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    When I throw the bike in the back of the wagon, when I get on the bike or off, and when ever I feel the need.

mtbr member
    Many MTBers adopting dropper posts have rarely ridden with the seat down because it wasn't convenient before. "Drop you seat for this one long descent." But if there's the least bit of pedaling or climbing it was QRed right back up.

Spend a little time on a dirt jumper, an MTB set up for fourcross or dual slalom, or a BMX bike, and feel all the different circumstances in which having more freedom to move your body around the cockpit is better. I use the dropper for every trail feature where I want the bike to handle like the bikes mentioned above, which is easily ~100X/ride. With the typical 100-125mm posts on the market and the height set to your optimum climbing seated position, even when fully dropped the nose of the saddle should still be beside most people's thighs. It's unlikely your dropped saddle nose is below your knee. But if it is, use a shorter-travel post or something like a Reverb 'enduro' collar which sets a lower limit on a RS Reverb dropper.

mtbr member
    I only use it to make gettin on my bike easier.

mtbr member
    Downhill, fast winding single track, etc. Only up when climbing or on flatish terrain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    downhill, bunnyhopping logs, gaping rootballs/rocks/whatever, jumps and trail obstacles. Not sure how I rode without it before...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I use mine more than I shift gears...pretty much anytime I'm off the saddle I have it adjusted to some degree (huge benefit of a reverb). Descending, technical flat ground pedaling, technical climbing, cornering, stopping for a breather, jumping, pumping, anything requiring a significant preload, seated pedaling to use different muscles, etc.

Not all of these scenarios are in the full down position, some just a minor adjustment that gives me an advantage in body positioning. Well worth the weight and wont be coming off my bike.

mtbr member
    All the time - when the trail goes down, I drop it.

When the trail goes up I raise it.

Skinnies, I like to partially drop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    I only use it to make gettin on my bike easier.
    What about getting off the bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merida OneFiveO880 View Post

You should not keep your legs and thies so close to the bike. It lowers your stability. Wide stance on arms and legs gives you the best controll.
    Not trying to insult you, but that isn't true. Most Pinkbikers will disagree, but they're too busy working on keg stands and blowing out berms to worry about things like good technique. What should you do when you hit a sandy section (especially at high speed)? Squeeze the saddle with your thighs. It gives you more leverage over the bike. In flat/off-camber turns? Use thigh against the side of the seat to help provide leverage and control the slide. Wide stance has its place, but so does narrow and tight.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    Downhill, fast winding single track, etc. Only up when climbing or on flatish terrain.
    Yeah same here, I also drop it sometimes to make getting off my bike easier but I don't do this often.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My specialized command post has three positions and I love using the middle positon (not exactly middle, 100mm extended out of the full 125mm) for rolling terrain. Then all the way up for long grinding climbs. I really don't use all the way down very often, the 100mm position gives me plenty of freedom to move my hips and lean off the bike. All the way down pretty much just for super steep descents or anything with any jumps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ..if you've ever pointed your bike down, forgot to QR, and notice how many times your ass gets hung up or slams on the seat, you'll know when you needed itů Even before I knew what a "dropper" was, I was lowering my seat height for descents and jacking it up full tilt for grueling climbs--don't you do that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I use my dropper all the time for ups and downs 50% of each probably more for climbing!
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    all the time. 25 times an hour would be a conservative estimate.

never knew i needed a dropper until i bought one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Licketysplit View Post
    I've had my dropper post a couple of weeks. The only scenario that I have used it is putting the post down while I do a downhill and it feels a little strange to me . There is no saddle to rest my inner thigh against for a feeling of control. I do find it less intimidating to put my ass over the rear wheel when doing a short steep decent to keep from going over the bars.
    But what other scenarios do you use the dropper post for.
    This is why I like the mechanical 3 position one like the Specialized Blacklite and Gravity Dropper. I use the middle point more often and the saddle is right there in the same spot every time.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    Not trying to insult you, but that isn't true. Most Pinkbikers will disagree, but they're too busy working on keg stands and blowing out berms to worry about things like good technique. What should you do when you hit a sandy section (especially at high speed)? Squeeze the saddle with your thighs. It gives you more leverage over the bike. In flat/off-camber turns? Use thigh against the side of the seat to help provide leverage and control the slide. Wide stance has its place, but so does narrow and tight.
    Non taken, and i dont disagree with you. I dont ride slopestyle or park so i dont know about berms and snad as i dont have it up in the north of Norway.

We have snow tho, and when i skidd on it i usually manhandel the bike with the handlebars and not saddle.
    Go Big or Go Home

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    all the time. 25 times an hour would be a conservative estimate.

Never knew i needed a dropper until i bought one.
    ^^ this ^^

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It helps with momentum. If you just clear the peak of a hill and have a descent in front of you, you can keep your speed better just lowering the saddle with the remote rather than stopping and adjusting the seat collar qr.

I also lower my seat now even for flat turns. It helps me get a lower cg.

As for not having the seat in between your legs, I don't slam the seat anymore. All I need really is about 2-3 inches lower. I learned this riding DH. Slamming the saddle ultra low is unnecessary.

mtbr member
    I adjust my saddle height pretty much constantly on our techy steep trails. Anytime the terrain changes I am on the dropper remote. I easily use it 100+ times on a 3hrs ride.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

beater

Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    As for not having the seat in between your legs, I don't slam the seat anymore. All I need really is about 2-3 inches lower. I learned this riding DH. Slamming the saddle ultra low is unnecessary.
    I have short legs for my height, and a compact cockpit. Getting it all the way down is a noticeable improvement for me.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    thread needs to be renamed to 'When don't you use your dropper post?'

mines always moving up and down to find that sweet spot for the trail at that particular moment...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast