mtbr member

Wheelsets wheelsets wheelsets

So I got the '06 Stumpy FSR. It's great, yadayadayada. My mother-in-law wants to buy me a b-day present, and I thought--get one killer upgrade, man

And I thought: Get a new wheelset. I was thinking Shimano XTR or something along those lines. I definitely want something stronger than pure x-country rims, but I don't want freeride monsters that weigh a ton.

In truth, I want it all: really light and strong enough for all mountain. I don't drop more than 3-5 feet.

If you guys make suggestions, could you let me know what the wheelsets you guys suggest cost around?

Thanks.

conjoinicorned
    chris king ISO w/ mavic 519 or dt swiss 5.1 --- $700 ish?

i run the CK's and mavic 717, which are just a touch too light as i unfortunately found. the XTR are no better than the XT, which are waaaaay cheaper.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

TNC
    noMAD man
    Mavic CrossMax XLs are strong and light...about 1800g for the wheelset.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I'd get Hadley hubs, 108 engagement points... I'm very happy with my Mavic rims (F519) The 519 / 719(new 519) / 819(ust) are 450g, strong, but fairly narrow. The 721/823 are wider, but heavyish. If you want a wider, lighter rim, maybe dt swiss 5.1 at 500g and 28mm... I also just heard of Salsa Delgados here on mtbr a few days ago, 29mm wide and 450g, sounds great IF they hold up for you. I'm thinking Delgados or 5.1s, lightish 2.5s, medium weight tubes or trying tubeless would be fun..

I'm sure Crossmax or Easton Havocs would be good (Havocs have few reviews as of now, but they are all good), they go up for sale on ebay new and used regularly. I saw the Havocs for $500 Buy it Now... wish I had the cash, hopefully my xt rear hub will hold in there a little longer, but it is due... Every part on my bike is taking a crap this season, shoulda sold it and got a new one

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    I'd go King or Hadley hubs, DT Swiss 5.1's with tubeless setup and 14/15 spokes. The 5.1's are wider than a Mavic 819 and I like the way a bigger tire (2.3) fits on them.

VooDoo user.
    Check out the Industry 9 stuff if JO mommy in law has gots the CAKE!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Upgrade Wheels

I'm looking for a new wheelset too. I've got a Santa Cruz Blur that I basically ride cross country with some medium size drops but nothing major. I even use a 80mm fork because I love the quick handling. I would love the Chris King/Mavic 717 setup but just don't want to drop a mortgage payment on a set of wheels.

Anyone familar with the FSA wheels?? http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.as...xid=81&pid=160
    The XC-300 has great reviews and I've found them at a great price. But they are only 24 spoke...will these hold up on a full suspension bike or should I look for some 32's?

TNC
    noMAD man
    We've sold a couple of sets of those XC300s. They seem to be decent wheelsets, but they're not that stout. One of the shop guys put those on one of his full suspension bikes, a Cake, and found them a little flexy for his riding. Nothing broke on them, but then he really didn't have them for very long. They weigh what a CrossMax XL wheelset does but don't have the strength or rigidity. They're a good value, but don't appear to be a good choice for a heavier rider or any aggressive riding...and it may be more because of flex than breaking.

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My 2 cents would be to go for the CrossMax XL's. I have had one pair for over 3 years and have beat the heck out of 'em. Still true and I have never touched the spokes. The hubs take a little work to keep them spinning but the wheels come with the tools needed. Also, you can run the front with a QR20 if you wish. They go both ways. The wheels are plenty stiff. I just bought a second pair and got the new warranty deal. Not sure why I did that since I never had any problems with the first pair. Anyway, they are light enough and definately stiff. I have a pair of CK disc hubs laced to some 719's which are a fine wheelset too. The XL's are a bit lighter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Another vote for Crossmax XL. Very stiff for the relatively low weight and they look great. Mine have been faultless for nearly 2 years. You could even consider the SL version, which are even lighter. These are more XCish, but should be fine on a Stumpy FSR if you're not a Clyde. They're still pretty stiff too despite the XC race weight. No 20 mm front axle option on the SL version though if that matters to you.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    i run the CK's and mavic 717, which are just a touch too light as i unfortunately found.
    Can I say "told ya so?".

So what happened, did you get unlucky with a rock?
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    1. I9s. They're light, strong, awesome engagement, and look AWESOME.
    2. Hadley hubs with a DT 5.1D rim
    3. Mavic CrossMax XL

That's my vote, in order of most awesome to not quite as awesome.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    1. I9s. They're light, strong, awesome engagement, and look AWESOME.
    2. Hadley hubs with a DT 5.1D rim
    3. Mavic CrossMax XL

That's my vote, in order of most awesome to not quite as awesome.
    I really like #2 -- if it was UST i'd be sold. So I think I'm going to go Mavic 819 instead... Unless of course I'm unaware of a comparable UST rim that's slightly wider?

mtbr member
    If you want to go UST, the 819 is probably your best option for the rim.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Can I say "told ya so?".

So what happened, did you get unlucky with a rock?

LOL

ya they are still stiff and holding true, but are starting to flatspot on the major rocky terrain around here. because they were holding their true so well, i thought they'd last but oh well, considering the abuse i've been putting them thru (4' drops to rockgarden tranny) i'm still impressed...next will be the dt 5.1 i think
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I think the consensus here is Crossmax XL's or custom

If you go the custom route, WTB also sells a 27mm wide rim that is light (sub 500g) it is the WTB SpeedDisc Trail. Much cheaper than 5.1ds, and 819s

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    Check out the Industry 9 stuff if JO mommy in law has gots the CAKE!!!
    yeah....tell here that wheels generally run about $2K but that you dont feel comfortable asking for such an expensive gift so you will settle for some I9s

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    yeah....tell here that wheels generally run about $2K but that you dont feel comfortable asking for such an expensive gift so you will settle for some I9s
    Perfect!

mtbr member
    Consider using the lesser known Velocity VXC rim. When I ordered from Mike Garcia at oddsandendos.com, he suggested the VXC over the 717 saying it was a stronger rim, and only averaged 5-10g heavier in weight, might just be compromise you're looking for. I ended up getting those rims laced up to Hope Pro II hub for $425 shipped....not bad for a custom set! Of course when you talk with him, he'll inquire about your weight, riding style, bike, etc. and recommend the best setup for you and your budget.