Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

wheelsets and $$$$

So I've been looking at wheels for my 2008 ex9 for a while, love my bike! I like to ride it all from decent drops, fast single, technical rocky, basically I really abuse my rims/bike, the Bontragers it came with are toast and will never be true again.
    My question... ok my rant is why does it seem all the rims suggested by most riders come with a 1000 dollar price tag? I mean I can see paying 600.. 700.. 750!! It just seems wheels as simple as they are shouldn't be half what i paid for the bike in the first place.
    So are there any wheel sets out there... good ALL MOUNTAIN wheel sets out there for a decent price that will stand up to some decent abuse without breaking the bank?

your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Mike in NM

mtbr member
    Why not some new rims and spokes on the hubs you already have?

I'm a fan of Mavic rims, anything with a 19 or 21 number will build into a plenty strong wheel, just pick a width and weight to suit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Big fan of transition wheels, Ive had a set of 32's for 3 yrs. First on a DJ and for the last 2 yrs on my AM bike and I love them. I'm about 180 lbs with gear and not the gentlest rider (1/2 hack, 1/2 finesse). Personally, the weight penalty is insignificant for the peace of mind when bombing through rock gardens. Only $330 bucks too..

mtbr member
    easton havens- find last years model and scoop them for under $700

MattSavage
    Sun EQ27 on some XT hubs. With double butted spokes you'll be under 300 bucks if you build them yourself...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

MattSavage
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Bought these a couple months ago. Holding up well to my hardtail and my "slightly less than delicate" riding...

From Performance bike

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1545500_400219

If you look at the specs they are as well built or better than wheelsets costing many times more.

Look at this from my local forum

http://trianglemtb.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22873.0

I have been pleased.

Good luck.

John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by mrapdaca
    why does it seem all the rims suggested by most riders come with a 1000 dollar price tag? I mean I can see paying 600.. 700.. 750!!
    Unless you are buying carbon, a $1000 will buy you the nicest of mtn bike wheels. If you will consider 600.. 700.. 750.. and that is not a typo, you can get any great wheel you want. I've been riding kings on 819s for 2 years and been recklessly abusive. Seems like I only paid $750 or so for them. Look into King, Hadley, I9 or Hope on 819s or Flows and you'll get a bombproof set of wheels, with the right builder.

Just remember the saying goes, "Strong, Light, Cheap...Pick 2". And yes, when climbing, rotational weight does matter.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    easton haven wheelset is pretty nice. they are 1650 grams and 21 mm wide. supposed to be a good set.

they are normally 900.00 but on sale for 499.00 at competitivecyclist.com

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za....ID=6705&MODE=

mtbr member
    thanks for all the post guys!!! looking forward to reading up on all your suggestions.... oh and looking at all the round eye candy.

Trail Ninja
    The CB Cobalt (XC) and Sage (FR) pop up on Chainlove for $500 if you can stand the loud freewheel sound. XCs are tough, def not race day only wheels. Sunline V1 AM wheels pop up too for $300 for the set.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Look at JensonUSA, they often have good deals and are great people to work with
    Ridin' fo' dayzz

Wheels - 11' Giant Anthem X1
    -08 Eastern Slash
    -08 Jamis Dragon

mtbr member
    I second the King and Mavic 819 setup. Picked them up for $850 at Richard's bikes. I also had a set built for my SS. King hubs with Stan's Arch.

You can't go wrong with Kings. They will last forever if you take care of them.

mtbr member
    forgot to mention that Richard's had some specials going on wheelsets recently. http://www.rbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Check out White Industries hubs...I'm having a set of those built on Stan's Flow rims in the mid-600 range (universalcycles). Already have a set of WI hubs on another bike and like them a lot. Not the same cache as the really big $$ stuff, and just "normal" engagement, but work very nicely overall.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Having some wheels built for me at the moment... Stans Flows laced to Hadley hubs with 72 POE, DT Swiss double butted competition spokes and brass nipples for $636 from Ghisallo Wheels www.ghisallowheels.com talk to/email Larry Anderson.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm running Hope Pro II hubs and Mavic 819 wheels. Great wheel set and not overly expensive. I had mine built at Chain Reaction Cycles for less than $600 shipped.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you decide to go with Hope Hoops Pro II's, I got mine from wiggle.co.uk in less then 1.5 weeks from the time i ordered them. Cost for F/R is about $400, with free shipping to the U.S.

Do it all or nothing
    Well this may be over kill but I got these since my rig serves as my DH and FR rig too. Shimano saint hubs laced up to mtx 33s. The best part is they were around 400$. And that was with black spokes and gold nipples to fit my color sceme. Check out CRC and see what you can build. It will probably be alot cheaper than you thought. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...CategoryID=752
    Go play around and see what you can find.
    If it ain't broken... why the hell you fixin it!

KONA rules!!

If you miss the tranny... don't look down.

wuss
    It's quite hard to beat hope hoops for value, at least here in Europe. A pair will cost about 350, while getting a wheel set with DT hubs will easily cost over 500, over 800 with Kings and over 1000 with I9.

usually cranky
    you can easily build costom wheels at crc with nice rims and a hope front hub and xt rear for under $350.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've got some 819s/Pure xcr hubs from forum sponsor bicyclewheelwarehouse coming soon. Seemed like a decent deal. You can price different options on their all mountain/trail custom link.

Huffy Rider
    Just got some Stans Crest/ZTR's for $500 shipped, custom built. Not much more for the Arches or Flows. My wheels will weigh in at 1430, BTW!!

Blunt Blazer
    Oct 2010
    if you are looking for the best bang for your buck ..then you might want to consider the azonic outlaws. they may be a little bit heavier then what you run now, but itll only make you stronger. these rims are bombproof. you can pick a color to match your bike or whatever too.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wheelset.aspx

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Have been really happy with the 2 sets of Mavics I ride--819's & 823's. As others have said, they may be a little heavier than others in the same price range, but they are tubeless ready & have been bomb-proof on both my hardtail & squishy rigs--and I ride mostly rocky stuff FWIW. If you're happy with your current hubs, you could use them & go with either the 819 & 823 for under $250 built. If you're not, you could lace them to new King's for the $750 you said you could see paying & have a premier (for lack of a better term) set (prolly even cheaper if you don't mind hunting & waiting). And don't skimp on the build--do it yourself if you're comfortable or pay a reputable guy that knows what he's doing & will stand behind his wheels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast