mtbr member
    May 2006

wheels for AM hardtail

A few months ago I was planning on putting together a nice hardtail AM bike just because I want to give the idea of riding a hardtail a shot. Then my FS bike was stolen and I started devoting as much money as I could set aside to save up to buy a new FS bike instead. Well, a couple of days ago, my bike was miraculously recovered, something I never dreamed would happen, and it seems to be in as good of condition as it was before it was stolen (some guy had just been riding it around campus I guess).

so now I have the money I was saving and I'm going to put it to use on the hardtail I was planning before.

anyway, I'm looking at the on one inbred 456 for the frame and the next thing I want to work out is the wheels. I'm thinking I'll need something pretty durable for the hartail (epecially in the rear). I ride all mountain in ever sense of the word. I like hard technical climbs and fast rough descents. I do drops on the average of around 3-4 feet. For me, its the rockier and the more the more roots the better. So any suggestion for wheels I should consider will be greatly appreciated.

My budget is around 500 or so.

thanks,

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro_sandchez
    A few months ago I was planning on putting together a nice hardtail AM bike just because I want to give the idea of riding a hardtail a shot. Then my FS bike was stolen and I started devoting as much money as I could set aside to save up to buy a new FS bike instead. Well, a couple of days ago, my bike was miraculously recovered, something I never dreamed would happen, and it seems to be in as good of condition as it was before it was stolen (some guy had just been riding it around campus I guess).

so now I have the money I was saving and I'm going to put it to use on the hardtail I was planning before.

anyway, I'm looking at the on one inbred 456 for the frame and the next thing I want to work out is the wheels. I'm thinking I'll need something pretty durable for the hartail (epecially in the rear). I ride all mountain in ever sense of the word. I like hard technical climbs and fast rough descents. I do drops on the average of around 3-4 feet. For me, its the rockier and the more the more roots the better. So any suggestion for wheels I should consider will be greatly appreciated.

My budget is around 500 or so.

thanks,
    That's incredible that you got your bike back unharmed!

Are you looking at QR or 20mm in the front?

I just started gathering parts to build my 456 frame. I'm was leaning towards Hope Pro2 hubs with Synchros DS28s or Halo Freedom Discs, but after seeing this thread, I'm lusting after those Hadleys. I'm about 155 and don't ride particularly aggressively, though, so whatever I end up with will be strong enough for me, I'm sure. With an average priced rim, the Hopes should come in well within your range, but the Hadleys will be a bit more since the hubs themselves are $400 or so a pair.

My friend just built up his Chromag TRL and went with Mavic Deetraks. They're heavy, but look to be as bombproof as Mavic claims. He has just a few short rides on them, but has no complaints so far. He's about 245 and rides just as you describe, but he's very smooth for a big guy. The Mavics list for $350, and for a few dollars more you can buy a two year protection policy.

mtbr member
    I'm planning on a Hope Pro2/Mavic 819 or DT 5.1 set for my next AM bike. I'm a clyde, and for my budget (around $500) thats what several people have recommended.

Mr.
    mtbr member

Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn
    I'm planning on a Hope Pro2/Mavic 819 or DT 5.1 set for my next AM bike. I'm a clyde, and for my budget (around $500) thats what several people have recommended.
    I just got a custom set of these (Hope/5.1) about 3 weeks ago and they are awesome! The hub is really loud, just in case that might bother you - but I love it. Reminds me of sticking cards and crap in your BMX wheels when little...and people actually hear you coming if they're dinking around on the trail in front of you.

Anyhow, I think they'd work great on a hard tail, and so far for this fatty (225), they are holding up great!
    If you can grab a fistfull of belly in your hand, does that mean you're fat?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm runnig Outlaws on my hardtail. They heavy, wide & burly but they were cheap ($225 shipped)...they work good for me at 215 lbs. This bike is currently set up as SS & I use it for everything.

If/when I ever save the coin I'd look at Hope Pro 2 w/ either 5.1's, Salsa DelGado or Syncros DS28's. That would get you a nice durable wheelset in your price range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.
    I just got a custom set of these (Hope/5.1) about 3 weeks ago and they are awesome! The hub is really loud, just in case that might bother you - but I love it. Reminds me of sticking cards and crap in your BMX wheels when little...and people actually hear you coming if they're dinking around on the trail in front of you.

Anyhow, I think they'd work great on a hard tail, and so far for this fatty (225), they are holding up great!
    I just built a pair for myself. I like 'em a lot so far. Light, tough, nice engagement on the rear, stiff. The freehub is very loud. It's a little irritating (I am also a bit OCD about bike noises ), but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be when I first pulled the hub out of the box.

mtbr member
    easton havoc's 450 pricepoint 28mm rims light durable.
    Trek T1 . MOJO SL 2011 Fox 32 Talas 1X10 FTW

mtbr member
    May 2006
    thanks for the advice guys. I was already looking at the havocs, the price is great and they seem to get good reviews.

I realy like the looks of the headly setup.
    Maybe I'll build a nice wheelset with those hubs and then put the wheels on my fs onto the hardtail. I have salsa delgado discs laced to shimanu xt hubs with dt spokes. How do you guys think those would hold up on an AM hardtail? I havn't had any trouble out of them on my fs rig.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm running a set of Pro II / Mavic 721's on my chameleon and could not be more happy with them.

After selling up my DH bike and buying an hardtail I was very nervous about how my rear wheel would hold up, since I was so used to having large amounts of travel to make up for my crappy line selection and bad landings. But honestly I can say these things are bloody strong.

I'm not sure how they much they weight, it's something i've been meaning to do, I do know that my previous set of Haley/721's were lighter than the DT Swiss/6.1's that came on my DH bike, so I'd like to think the Hope/721's are on pretty resonable, and bloody strong

good luck
    cheers
    James.

local trails rider
    Any tough rims that work with rim brakes?
    (not doubting the goodness of disks but I might still want to keep one bike with V's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Any tough rims that work with rim brakes?
    (not doubting the goodness of disks but I might still want to keep one bike with V's)
    I believe the Mavic EX721's are rim brake compatible.