Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

No good wheels for all mountain use

hi i have got a santacruz chameleon with mavic xm317 rims.i want to buy a pair of wheels for light freeride and all mountain use.I am between four options and i dont know which i choose.
    1.mavic crossmax xl
    2. Rims DT Swiss EX 5_1 XC Disc with hope pro2 and dt spokes
    3.Rims Mavic 321 XM Disc with hope pro2 and dt spokes
    4.easton havoc
    could you help me?
    have you got another pair in your mind?

Custom User Title
    I wouldn't run any of those because I prefer tubeless BUT, I would choose #1 then #2 if that was the selection I was looking at. Also the XL's can be got in a UST version. I also have read good things about the DT wheels also. If you are a aggressive rider I would tend twards the DT side. But this is just my opinion and you are sure to get more.

My wheels are custom built by me. Mavic 823's with CK in back and Maverick in front.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Get the d max if there is going to be "freeride".....If it is all mountian, get the xl's......the xl's do not like drops IMO..... the d max's are cheaper anyway......
    Old guy in the woods

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele
    I wouldn't run any of those because I prefer tubeless BUT, I would choose #1 then #2 if that was the selection I was looking at. Also the XL's can be got in a UST version...
    ALL Mavic complete mtb wheels are UST. There are no non-tubeless versions.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Custom User Title
    Didn't know that.

I really never shop around for wheels. the last time I got a rim was just after the D3.1 turned into the 823.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

TNC
    noMAD man
    A bunch of us in our area have had extremely good service from the CrossMax XLs. They take some moderate jumps and drops with no problems. Most of our riding here is quite rocky. No one has even broken a spoke or dented a rim. There are some good wheelsets and combinations available, but the XLs are hard to beat for the weight to strength ratio.

Your bike is incorrigible
    These babies! 2300 grams and tough as nails. Built for FR, but they're still light enough for trail riding. Of course, the cost is somewhat prohibitive at $800. But if you are looking at Crossmax XLs, then a hundred more won't hurt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TNC
    noMAD man
    Hmmm...2300. I kinda like the 1800 of the CrossMax even more after hearing that. On that red color that some have griped about, I think it actually looks pretty good. Guy, have you seen those red Michy 2.5's pictured on one of my Bullits? Those would be pimpin' in a combination.

Oh, So Interesting!
    The Eastons look really cool, 1800 g...

I might want a more hd setup if its your only wheelset, like an 823/Hadley combo...

I've seen dt rims (the 6.1s) get dented pretty badly...

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by kostas
    hi i have got a santacruz chameleon with mavic xm317 rims.i want to buy a pair of wheels for light freeride and all mountain use.I am between four options and i dont know which i choose.
    1.mavic crossmax xl
    2. Rims DT Swiss EX 5_1 XC Disc with hope pro2 and dt spokes
    3.Rims Mavic 321 XM Disc with hope pro2 and dt spokes
    4.easton havoc
    could you help me?
    have you got another pair in your mind?

Thought I already replied, but it wasn't showing...
    (moderator note)
    You did and I deleted your SPAM.
    Buy an ad.

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Hmmm...2300. I kinda like the 1800 of the CrossMax even more after hearing that. On that red color that some have griped about, I think it actually looks pretty good. Guy, have you seen those red Michy 2.5's pictured on one of my Bullits? Those would be pimpin' in a combination.
    I just can't get over the build of the DTs. Does your shop carry them? It's one of those builds that you have to get up close and inspect to really appreciate the thought that went into it. On the other hand, 500 grams is a quite a bit, especially in rotational mass. And, if I had the money to spend on a new wheelset, I would go with a nice set of customs.

You're going to post another pic of your Bullit just to make me jealous?! What kills me is that you now look at the Bullits as second rate to your Nomad.

TNC
    noMAD man

2nd rate, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    I just can't get over the build of the DTs. Does your shop carry them? It's one of those builds that you have to get up close and inspect to really appreciate the thought that went into it. On the other hand, 500 grams is a quite a bit, especially in rotational mass. And, if I had the money to spend on a new wheelset, I would go with a nice set of customs.

You're going to post another pic of your Bullit just to make me jealous?! What kills me is that you now look at the Bullits as second rate to your Nomad.
    LOL!...geez, that does sound harsh, doesn't it. Well, only 2nd rate in that the Nomad is better...but it doesn't make the Bullits junk by any means. I'd unload them in a heartbeat if I felt that way. On that wheelset there, I think they are probably an awesome wheelset, just maybe heavier than most AM type riders need or want. Some of these really abusive trail riders probably can use and benefit from a beefy set like that, but most people will probably do better with lighter...just my opinion, though. Like I said, however, can you imagine that set of wheels on this bike? Maybe too much red, but by gosh, they'd see you comin'.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I guess I'm just not happy with my San Andreas. A year after buying it, it breaks. Then I go back and read some reviews from people whose frames have broken also. Next, Mountain Cycles goes out of business. The icing on the cake is that Kinesis is out of business as well. So what am I going to do when this new frame breaks in a few months?

I'm going to be saving up for the bike I should have gone with in the first place, a Heckler. I guess I can transfer most of the components over, but I would prefer to spend that money on a new wheelset than a new frame.

TNC
    noMAD man

Kinesis

I guess I'm just not happy with my San Andreas. A year after buying it, it breaks. Then I go back and read some reviews from people whose frames have broken also. Next, Mountain Cycles goes out of business. The icing on the cake is that Kinesis is out of business as well. So what am I going to do when this new frame breaks in a few months?

I'm going to be saving up for the bike I should have gone with in the first place, a Heckler. I guess I can transfer most of the components over, but I would prefer to spend that money on a new wheelset than a new frame.
    Kinesis is out of business? Aren't they a massive Asian outfit who make stuff for a bunch of other companies...along with making their own stuff for overseas markets? Not arguing with you here, just having a hard time fathoming that the organization went out of business...hadn't heard this. I wonder if just their U.S. based plant closed for economic reasons? There were based in Oregon or near there, weren't they? My two Bullits were made in their U.S. facility. I wonder if Kinesis in the Asian area is making all the SC single pivots...or some other Asian outlet? I hate to hear that about MC. They're a piece of MTB history IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Kinesis is out of business? Aren't they a massive Asian outfit who make stuff for a bunch of other companies...along with making their own stuff for overseas markets? Not arguing with you here, just having a hard time fathoming that the organization went out of business...hadn't heard this. I wonder if just their U.S. based plant closed for economic reasons? There were based in Oregon or near there, weren't they? My two Bullits were made in their U.S. facility. I wonder if Kinesis in the Asian area is making all the SC single pivots...or some other Asian outlet? I hate to hear that about MC. They're a piece of MTB history IMO.
    According to Dirtrag, MC is completely out of business and Kinesis is out of business in the US.

Think I can sell my frame for a big price? I mean, it is now a collector's item! Stupid me didn't even realize the big K made Santa Cruz frames. I don't trust Kinesis! Makes me wonder if I shouldn't look elsewhere.

TNC
    noMAD man

Well...

According to Dirtrag, MC is completely out of business and Kinesis is out of business in the US.

Think I can sell my frame for a big price? I mean, it is now a collector's item! Stupid me didn't even realize the big K made Santa Cruz frames. I don't trust Kinesis! Makes me wonder if I shouldn't look elsewhere.
    if Kinesis is the Asian manufacturer of the single pivots like the Heckler and such, then I wouldn't be too concerned. Overall, the Heckler has proven very durable...and you'd have to say about the same for the Bullits made in their Oregon plant.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Dee Max

I have Dee Max's on my Kona HT, and it's a bit of a love/hate relationship. They have been flawless performers, but they are overkill most of the time.

I would say that 25% of the time, they are perfect for how I ride the bike, and I wouldn't be happy with anything else. And then 75% of the time I am wondering if I should get something lighter.

Carrying my bike up Jackson's Ladder in Moab brought the weight issue home in a big way. Especially after riding 18-odd miles on dirt roads. Not exactly Dee Max terrain.

But on the other hand, I am going to Deer Valley tomorrow, and I will be loving them.

Maybe I just need a SECOND WHEELSET!

Oh, back on topic... I would probably buy the Crossmax XL.

JMH

new specialized enduro :)
    I have a simle philosopy, keep whatever comes on the bike!

Otherwise the lighter the better sounds like a good thesis.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

tube me

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    ALL Mavic complete mtb wheels are UST. There are no non-tubeless versions.
    Really?

http://www.mavic.com/ewb_pages/p/pis....php?gamme=vtt

http://www.mavic.com/ewb_pages/v/vtt....php?gamme=vtt

Can you ride these without tubes?

made in Oregon
    Not true. They layed offf (fired) a bunch of people but Mountian Cycle will live on. I was told to stay tuned.
    Nathan
    Last edited by Goldtooth; 07-05-2006 at 05:46 PM.
    WTB: Mountain Cycle 9.5 frame, size Med
    Goldtooth
    Custom Bashguards
    www.goldtoothmafia.com

Quote Originally Posted by nater b
    Not true. I know some guys that worked there and one still does. They laid off (fired) a bunch of people but Mountian Cycle will live on. I was told to stay tuned.
    Nathan
    Well if that is true, then I would be extremely happy. I was wondering why they would have all these proto-type bikes at inter-bike and then close down a couple months later.

pwg
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Would anyone else be looking at the Spinergy XYClone disc wheelset? They appear to be light, cool looking and similar price if not cheaper than the Crossmax XL.

I ask because Im thinking of getting a set.

TNC
    noMAD man

Well, I've seen this.

Quote Originally Posted by pwg
    Would anyone else be looking at the Spinergy XYClone disc wheelset? They appear to be light, cool looking and similar price if not cheaper than the Crossmax XL.

I ask because Im thinking of getting a set.
    A riding buddy who used to live in my area was death on wheelsets...road or MTB. He's a big, heavy, rider, but he's also a super strong pedaler. We ordered one of those first sets of PBO Cyclone Spinergy wheels back when, and I thought he was nuts for doing so...I mean they're made out of banjo strings, aren't they? Well, that was awhile back, and last I heard, he's still on the things with no real problems. I was amazed. I checked their website, and they don't look like they've changed any, so I'd guess they would have only gotten better...at least not any worse. He's the only guy I know who ever used them, but I know he was a heck of a test case. I see they're about a 100g lighter than my CrossMax XLs...and they have a convertible front QR/20mm hub like the XLs. They are interesting.

pwg
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks TNC,

Just a quick look on the net and I can get a new 06 set for approx $400 US - they certainly would be a lot lighter than my Maxis 325 rims with Formula hubs

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you can afford them get the crossmax xls. If you're on a budget the Crossrides are 1/2 the price, UST, and have been bombproof for me so far (6 months).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast