Thread: wheel warranty

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

New question here. wheel warranty

I just took my new Giant Anthem 2 for its third ride and had crashed. I guess the bike is too fast for me at this time! My right handle bar hit a 5" tree (which was in the way !!) and when I pulled both brakes, I went over the bike and ... fell off. When I got up, the front wheel was all bent in an "S" form.
    Is that normal that this wheel would bent out of shape so bad when I did not even hit a stump or a rock?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yep, stuff like that just happens. Take it to the shop tell them what happened and see what they want to do. Do not expect anything, but you may get a good deal on a new rim and labor or just the labor to fix yours.

mbtr member
    you put the bars 90* to the frame and go otb and 100% of your energy is on the side loaded front wheel. That's a pretty sure way to knacker a wheel, fortunately, it's an unusual way to crash.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    if the shop is good and they made enough money on you they may help you out. a bit .

Seeeriously easy Livin
    congratulations you tacoed your first wheel, side impacts are the hardest on a wheel, if going over the bars becomes a common occuance for you I suggest lowering your seatpost on downhills, and practicing getting behind the saddle, and maybe even getting some orgrganic brake pads to tame down those brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I did not realize tacoeing a wheel was an earmark! I guess I've passed!
    Thanks for the suggestion. It was not a real downhill. I think I just need to get used to how fast the bike goes.

Any suggestions on a book or website on bike maintenance or fixing?

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    zinn and teh art of mountain bike maintenance is a beautifully written and very thorough book, I actually have two copies, one at my shop and one in the car. However if you don't want to go hunting for it, parktool.com has the same info for free, but IMO it isn't quite as thorough or well written.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Park Tool has a good website. For a book defiantley Zinn. Also there are many helpful posts on here that will help.