Thread: Wheel Options

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Wheel Options

Alright, I gave up on the Klein Mantra idea for the base of my all-mountain setup. Now that I have a 4" Santa Cruz Superlight, the goal is to build a 6" all-mountain/freeride bike similar to that of a Ellsworth Moment or Mountain Cycle San Andreas; I think I am using a Turner After Burner DH frameset. In any case, I am a bit confused about wheel options; I come from a history of road riding and cross-country riding; all-mountain/freeride is a new thing for me.

It would seem that durability is a major emphasis, over weight savings, in the world of all-mountain/freeride setups. At the end, I want a dependable rig however, I want to save as much weight as reasonibly possible; think Specialized S-Works level. Being the huge Mavic wheel fan that I am, I would like to opt for a ready-made Mavic wheelset. On my hardtail, I have Crossmax SL's and on my road bike, I am ordering a set of Ksyrium SL's; I think I will use either the Crossmax ST, SL or SLR for my Santa Cruz Superlight. Is the Crossmax series a reasonable option for an all-mountain/freeride rig? What is the best option from the Mavic line-up?

Get Down Do you
    I am a bit confused by your post. Are you saying that you want to make your superlight a FR/AM bike or are you building another FR/AM bike. You say one thing in paragraph 1 then another in paragraph 2. Because I hope you are not planning on freeriding your Superlight.

Also what is your meaning of FR/AM? Will you be doing a lot of drops to flat or drops to trannies? How big are your drops going to be and how often? Do you want a 20mm Thru-axle? Etc etc etc.

The DeeMax is Mavics super wheel and they can definitely take a ton of abuse. The next down would be the CrossMax SX then the Cmax ST D. I know a few people that ride them alot and have no issue.

If I were you and you are set on getting prebuilt wheels I would check out DTSwiss. Other wise you can get a nice set of handbuilts for the same prices of the mavics you are taking about.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

[SIZE="3"] Click to see my Orange Ano Blur LT[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Freeride a Superlight, hahahahahaha!

No, sorry; I guess I had a few too many when I wrote the last post. This will be a bike in addition; the Superlight is a 4" cross-country rig. Also, by all-mountain/freeride, I mean situations when I would need 6" travel. I don't do anything too tretious, ie. big air and drops however, I will need something to soak up some hard bumps from some moderate downhill coasting. I am 140-145lbs, not too big, 5'9". I have been uncertain as to whether a Crossmax ST would be duriable enough; it seemed more of a cross-country wheel. Ideally, I would use the Crossmax ST though.

Get Down Do you
    The STs are a durable wheel and seem to take a lot of abuse. We have a set hanging here in the shop and they seem pretty tuff. They use a very thick guage spoke and have a funky lace pattern on the drive side of rear but are definitely beefier than the CrossTrails The one rider I know who has a set "does 3footers with ease" last I asked. So if you are set on Mavics then you shouldn't be dissapointed.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

[SIZE="3"] Click to see my Orange Ano Blur LT[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    If you really want to stick with Mavic wheels I would say go with the Crossmax SX for sure. I would steer away from a XC oriented wheels if this really is going to be an all-mountain/trailbike whatever you want call it. I would agree with Muggsly that you can definietly have a set of handbuilt wheels made up for the same price or much less than the SXs; I was considering the SXs for my new 6" rig and decided on a handbuilt set instead. Weight is about 200gr more, but I saved about $300.

Durability > weight is my opinion on all mountain gear. A 6" bike simply isn't going to weight what your Superlight does. I know you mentioned S-works type weight, but S-works encompasses a lot of models and most of them you won't approach the same weight. Around 30lbs is what I would expect from a fairly light all mountain rig; my guess is my 6" bike is going to weight in around 32 when I'm done and that is with strong by light parts.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    if you're a Mavic fan and want a strong freeride wheel, get a hold of a 729 rim and lace it to your hub of choice

However, i would suggest that you think beyond brand loyalty when it comes to wheelsets. Mavic is a far cry from selling "best bang for the buck" wheels.
    There are so many lesser name wheelsets available that will be easy on your wallet, will be just as durable and last just as long if not longer.

Azonic Outlaw, TBC Revolution, Sun, HALO, are a few that jump to mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blender
    if you're a Mavic fan and want a strong freeride wheel, get a hold of a 729 rim and lace it to your hub of choice
    Better yet, grab a DT Swiss 5.1d. Similar price and a better product IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by blender
    However, i would suggest that you think beyond brand loyalty when it comes to wheelsets. Mavic is a far cry from selling "best bang for the buck" wheels.
    There are so many lesser name wheelsets available that will be easy on your wallet, will be just as durable and last just as long if not longer.

Azonic Outlaw, TBC Revolution, Sun, HALO, are a few that jump to mind.
    Very true, alot of guys I know who are tough on wheels and are looking for bang for buck like the Sun Rhino Lites.

mtbr member
    Yeah, kind of a strange set of requirements you are working with there. I am a cross between XC and AM, more "XXXC" riding because I do like to descend and I still climb, but with a lot of winding singletrack in the middle. I ride a 2007 Stumpy FSR with 2006 Crossmax SL wheels I got on clearance. I think the wheels are great, and I run UST tires on them. The one thing I am a bit leary of for you is you mention "situations when I would need 6" travel." I have 5.5" up front, and around 4.5" in the back. I rarely bottom the rear even at my weight (around 240 or so with full gear) even on 3' drops. If I thought I was going to really use 6" of travel, I would build up a wheelset with straight pull bladed spokes using UST rims, probably something from I9. If that wasn't feasible, then I would go to Chris King and call it a day. If money was an issue, then I would just go with XT hubs laced to Mavic UST hubs, but I would try to wait for the 08 XT hubs to come out as they have faster engagement (10 degree) and a couple of other nice things.

Another thing that will narrow your decision is the use of 20mm hub in the front. With a fork of that much travel, you might want a 20mm hub and possibly a 36mm stanchion fork. If you go this route, that should simplify your wheel selection.