Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Quiet Professional

Whats your favorite suspension design?

I love the Maestro, which is pretty much a DW link in my opinion. I see a lot of bikes out there that use a similar suspension design, so something has to be right about it. My question is what is your favorite suspension design for a AM bike. Is it different for any other style of riding you do? I feel the Maestro suspension pedals well without much pedal bob, and I am a big guy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My favorite suspension design is the Hardtail.

mtbr member
    Single pivot/4bar with a GOOD shock (basically anything but a float). Its just more fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Pretty much what I ride now, DW link. Iíve ridden single pivots, VPP and the Yetiís Switch link. I just prefer the DW over the rest. Then again Iíve also ridden that the longest and might be more used to it. No matter wether on the ups or downs, it always feels like it does do a great job tracking the ground. Just really smooth and predictable. Iíve already decided my next bike will either be a Yeti SB66 or a Mojo HD.

mtbr member
    Maestro, and Trek's DRCV rear shocks. I liked the magic link on the old Kona Coil Airs.

Team Chilidog!
    The one implemented correctly. Not sure why people are so caught on up on a specific suspension design. The same suspension can vary greatly from bike to bike and feel completely different. All have their good and bad points.

Ibis and Pivot make the DW-link. I hate the way the Pivot feels, but love the Ibis.
    My old Titus Racer-X has a horst link, as did my old 2000 Specialized Enduro. Hated the Enduro, loved the Racer-X.
    My old Ventana X-5 and new Ventana Ciclon are single pivots. Huge difference on the suspension even though they're both single pivot. I'll take the new one hands down.

The Maestro is the Trek suspension right? Kinda a split pivot?

Most of the choices of each bike manufacturer depend on what the designer likes and sometimes patent rights.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    My Mountain Cycle Zen II is a single pivot that uses the switch eccentric similar to the Yeti SB-66 to drive the shock, in fact it was designed by the same Sotto group who developed the SB-66.

The bike rides better than the Titus El Guapo it replaced and that was a great ride in its own right.

I get the fun factor of single pivot with the shock rate of the SB-66. The rear is incredibly stiff while the suspension packages nicely.

It's a shame MC went bust, I think they did it right the last time out. I don't believe in bests when it comes to sus designs, but I'll list the last gen of MC's as one of my favorites for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post

The Maestro is the Trek suspension right? Kinda a split pivot?
    Giant makes the Maesto and its very much like the DW link. Good points though. I agree had an Intense VPP and hated it but loved the SC VPP. I like the Maestro a lot too. Honestly I have a Nomad c but could learn to love a Mojo HD or a C-dale Jekyll c too. I think they all have small differences and perform really well so it comes down to preference.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

No Stranger to danger....
    Giant Maestro by a country mile.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Giant Maestro by a country mile.
    Yeah, but some say it "borrowed" some aspects of it's design. Here's a thread where Dave Weagle (inventor of the DW link) weighs in with his pov.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Single pivot/4bar with a GOOD shock (basically anything but a float). Its just more fun to ride.
    I agree.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    I love the Maestro, which is pretty much a DW link in my opinion. I see a lot of bikes out there that use a similar suspension design, so something has to be right about it. My question is what is your favorite suspension design for a AM bike. Is it different for any other style of riding you do? I feel the Maestro suspension pedals well without much pedal bob, and I am a big guy.
    Like someone else said, the implementation is the key.

My favorite suspension design I've ridden was my 2007 Iron Horse MKIII (DW-Link). I have another DW-Link frame now (Turner 5 Spot), and it feels a little different. I think the MKIII nailed it better in terms of suspension behavior, but those frames were plagued with many other problems (flexy rear and and they cracked a lot).
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

usually cranky
    vpp felt the best to me but fsr and sp are nice too. i wouldnt say any are leaps and bounds ahead of another.

Lightly salted
    My favorite is a well tuned single pivot. I currently own an ibis hd (dw link) and a ventana Ciclon (single pivot) Last year I rode a carbon nomad (vpp2). In the past I owned a few Specialized fsr bikes. I really like the feel of a well done single pivot. Might not be as efficient as the dw link, but I like how the single pivot feels best. If it came down to only 1 bike it would still be a dw link because of it's pedaling efficacy. You really start to notice the excellent pedalling of dw link on long 30+ mile, 4000'+ elevation gain rides.
    In the end, I think how a frame fits you and it's geo is more important than suspension design. The difference between the suspension designs are small.
    Last edited by fuenstock; 01-29-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    Fork lockout. Exellent on hill climbs!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowerman View Post
    My favorite suspension design is the Hardtail.
    +1
    Just another redneck with a bike

rebmem rbtm
    I-Drive

You just cannot beat the stiffnes of those huuuuuuuge pivots.
    However I do agree that hardtails rule. Iīm buying a GT Force frame but i'm definitely keeping my Hardtail Avalanche to build it up.

Perpetual Hack
    Four by 4.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    All of my bikes are single pivot, and I really like them. However that doesn't
    mean I would not like anything else.

mtbr member
    I've yet to ride a DW-Link, but my favorite thus far has been VPP. On both my current Blur and an Intense UZZI I demo'd the VPP just felt solid on the way up and bottomless on the way down. My first ride on the Blur I was amazed at how while only being 140mm it just seemed to soak up the jumps. It stuck to the ground a lot better under braking and chatter than my Cannondale 4-bar too.

FSR and Trek's ABP also performed well, but the bikes I rode I think hampered my impressions. They were just not suited for the trails I took them on, so I have to reserve judgement.
    "Got everything you need?"

I'm with stupid
    I also give a thumbs up for the I-Drive by GT.

Braugh Bro.
    Gt i-drive has my vote, 4-bar or single pivot with a correct setup is good too.

mtbr member
    I prefer the single pivot design and my bikes reflect that. Is it the best for me yes, ut they made more designs as everyone has different needs and reacts differently to each style. For the flats VPP is great but prefer the single pivot on anything else, merge the two and perhaps nirvana?
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    I prefer the single pivot design and my bikes reflect that. Is it the best for me yes, ut they made more designs as everyone has different needs and reacts differently to each style. For the flats VPP is great but prefer the single pivot on anything else, merge the two and perhaps nirvana?
    Really ticked that Santa Cruz nixxed their APP line of bikes. I have a friend that rides a Butcher and it's a truly great bike. Suffers a little bit of brake jack/skipping, but has an amazing feel on the downhills...deep and plush. Plus, I love the low maintenance of a single pivot.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Yeah, but some say it "borrowed" some aspects of it's design. Here's a thread where Dave Weagle (inventor of the DW link) weighs in with his pov.
    Yeah, and Dave Weagle "borrowed" his suspension from automobiles, snowmobiles, and even the Horst-Link design. It's just a shorter chainstay, that's all. Check out Arctic Cat snowmobiles from the 90's. Nothing's original. Dave Weagle can get off of his high horse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast