mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Whats you preferred method of pedaling? standing or sitting?

Whats you preferred method of pedaling? standing or sitting? and why?

Also what kind of terrain do you ride?

Personally I prefer to stand and hammer away but all my friends tell me to sit and spin as I beat them up the climbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Depends on how long the climb and ht vs full suss.

I ride a single pivot and a Horst bike. Neither handle stand and mashing very well so I tend to sit and spin unless its a really short and steep climb where standing won't cause the rear end to slip out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ah I ride a faux bar (ABP from trek) but live in the northeast, so lots of short punchy climbs, and lots of roots and rocks. I do stand to pedal at least 80%of the time though, weather uphill, flat or downhill.

B.Ike
    depends on the bike, available gears, length and steepness of the climb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ride XC and trail, always sit and spin.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    another vote for the actual bike being used. If full suspension, some designs will feel like a pogo stick. A lockout is a must have for certain bikes. On a hardtail...your back will hate you if you stayed on your saddle the entire ride. Also the length of the climb is a big factor for me, as is fitness. I try to stay seated as much as possible, only because i waste a lot of energy standing. If its a short sprint uphill, ill keep it in a lower gear and mash. For anything longer, ill just shift into a granny-ish gear and take my time. If its a race...dont listen to a word im saying. Do whatever you gotta do to win!

Your buddies probably tell you to stay seated, so they dont have to try to catch up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    it depends on the terrain.

mtbr member
    I live in the Wasatch at 7000 feet and almost all of my riding goes up from there. I'm on a Pivot 5.7c. We have long climbs and I usually run right around 90% of max heart rate. If I get out of my seat, my HR spikes 5 to 10 BPM almost immediately, so seated for me. But if I'm in an area like Moab, with short techy climbs, I'll run slightly lower effort and then I'm out of my seat (of necessity, not preference) for the stuff that requires it.

mtbr member
    Uphill - sit and spin. Downhill - dropper post down and I'm up at the ready.

(VPP suspension)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sit and spin for long steady climbs and taint on the nose with body flat, elbows bent for steep, rooty stuff...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Definitely standing. I like to ride difficult terrain and we humans don't balance so well while sitting on our butts.

mtbr member
    95% of the time I stay seated, push and spin as needed. The reason is lack of ROM on my left ankle do to injury.
    Scott "PAPAISH" Daley

I do what I want
    Stand and mash on the big hills, but will sit and spin on the mellow stuff - reason for standing: I ride a 1x9 - bike: Kona Coiler 07 - with a proper (ie:custom) shock tune, works great.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I stand only when necessary when pedaling up. It's a waste of energy, otherwise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Esses View Post
    I stand only when necessary when pedaling up. It's a waste of energy, otherwise.
    agreed. When i first started riding my xc triathlete freind, he would tell the same. I just felt more effective standing. Later learned with good sitting technique and leg conditioning that sitting will out sustain standing.
    Plus on a super steep dirt climbs ; where the front is floating; sitting hunched over, taint on nose of seat is easier for traction, but gota have leg and core conditioning.
    I will still stand to blast over humps where its short enough or i dont want to downshift and lose momentum. Also through a technical sections to manipulate the bike. But any kind of sustained cadence, sitting uses less energy.
    Seated climbing takes an extended seatpost which can get in way for some in technical or downhill parts of the trail.

In the case where i had fixed seatpost I used my quick release alot. I always adjusted it fully extended long climbs, then drop it an inch for innermittent up and down, then drop it more depending if its a tech down. But in the case where it was down some , i would find myself standing more often.
    Last edited by akiracornell; 05-14-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Whats you preferred method of pedaling? standing or sitting?

Quote Originally Posted by grok22 View Post
    Whats you preferred method of pedaling? standing or sitting? and why?

Also what kind of terrain do you ride?

Personally I prefer to stand and hammer away but all my friends tell me to sit and spin as I beat them up the climbs.
    Yes. I stand when it is better to stand and sit when it is better to sit. Neither is appropriate all the time.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    When I am on my SS hardtail I prefer to stand and mash. When I have gears I try to stay in the saddle.

mtbr member
    my bmx ways always kick in & i end up standing just cuz it's more fun for me. i like attacking corners, jumping, hopping and really rooty terrain so i stand more. Obviously, longer climbs i have to sit but i get bored as fck. hehe. i think you should always set-up/adjust ergos for a standing position though cuz that's when speed and tech happen. i don't care about the fitness part of riding but more about optimizing the grip and rip fun part of it.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    On my FS I tend to sit and spin.

usually cranky
    stand and mash now because I'm out of shape and jamis' suspension system doesnt bob too much. but when I'm in shape on my fsr its usually sit and spin.