mtbr member
    Jun 2013

What's wrong with my fork ? (Fox Evolution 32 Float DRCV & CTD 150mm)

(english is not my first language)

I am 5'9 tall and weight 180 lbs with gears. I have a medium Trek Remedy 8 2013 and I am pretty satisfied overall except about the fork. I don't necessary expect to have 100% travel. The problem is that if i put the amount of air that I feel right on the trails, 75-80 psi, I only get 50% of travel even on most technical ride.

So what I do is reducing air level to 65-70 psi. At that level I get about 70 % of travel wich is fine but the fork is too soft, even more if I drop another 5 psi. To make it rideable I must turn rebound to max.

I did the test and with all air out, I can not compress fork at the bottom, there is still about 1 inch of stanchions out. I don't think it is normal but maybe DRCV is the reason?

I would like to use about 75-80% of travel but I don't want to run at 50 psi because it is too soft and I can't set the rebound the way I want.

What are your thoughts? Too much oil, rod cutting?

usually cranky
    maybe you could try a psi that gives you the travel you want and fiddle with the compression so you dont blow through the beginning stroke?

mtbr member
    First thing to check is the amount of oil in the air chamber. Highly likely that there is oil migration from the lower chamber to the air chamber. This causes the spring rate to rise dramatically making the fork harsh and difficult to get full travel. Second, it is a Fox and they are known to not get full travel at the recommended air pressures. You can reduce the pressure (I was running 47 PSI against a recommendation of 75 for my weight) which is what the Fox tech I spoke to recommended. He was running similar pressure on the same fork/rider weight as me. You will see much more brake dive, but you have to decide what is more important.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

What's wrong with my fork ? (Fox Evolution 32 Float DRCV & CTD 150mm)

You need to send the fork in. It's a 2013 model, it should be under warranty.

If you have no air pressure and still can't fully compress the fork, something isn't working right.