Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    OnTheTrailAgain

What's trending for 2011?

Hey guys,

Haven't been on MTBR for a while.

It's time to pick up a 26" full squish 5"+ AM/Trail bike.
    I'd like an overbuilt trail bike for aggressive trail riding
    and it has to be able to take on some AM riding.

What are the hottest rigs now?

I'm liking Turner 5 Spot, Titus El Guapo, Pivot Mach 5 and
    Santa Cruz seems to have some interesting new bikes too.

Budget: $2,500.-$4,000. with at least an SLX+ spec.

Of course, I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    Rune. Titus went under by the way.

mtbr member
    Welcome back. The general trend has been to increase prices every year.

I wish I was ironic.

usually cranky
    spitfire has the trendy geo and travel.

perpetual pucker factor
    I'd go for a Giant Reign. Incredible bike. Climbs super well (almost as good as my old hardtail), and feels rock stable going down. IMHO in all aspects, it crushes the Pivots, Specializeds and Titus bikes out there with ease. Add to that, the components are usually far above what others offer for the price. Turner and Ibis are great too, but pretty expensive.

If you're looking for something to pound the downhills a bit more aggressively, Look at a Santa Cruz Nomad. Climbs nearly as well as the Reign, but the frame is a little more robust for drops and the like. SC is an incredibly good bike manufacturer.

And again, this is my opinion, but I'd personally stay away from Trek, Specialized. Very expensive for their rather archaic lever-actuated single pivot suspension designs and component specs.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Ride and Smile

Lovin the archaic!

El Guapo is the nicest ride on your list. My experience is opposite of rhinos. My 2010 reign x did not impress me as much as the titus or an rfx. It just didn't feel solid. The geo is good and the ride is fun. But I think my opinion of the reign x is the minority. It just was not what I was hoping for. The feel of it didn't suit me. It wasn't a component thing either cause I only bought the frame.

I just built a specialized enduro and have to say that the "archaic lever-actuated single pivot" (is a horst link a single pivot?) has got to be far and away the best riding suspension I've experienced on a trail bike. Granted it is not the best pedaling rig (it pedals just fine though). But going downhill fast is where it shines brighter than anything I've ridden. Better riding than the nomad, reign x, titus, and turner. So much so that it is in a completely different category. The feelings I get from the bike compare more to feelings I've had riding dh bikes. It just doesn't feel like any trail bike I've ridden.

My bike is "overbuilt" (meaning built just right) and it's 29lbs with a dropper. I'm sure the enduro is out of your budget but what else can give you a 66.5 HA and 16.5" chainstay and a suspension that's as supple as anything out there? Oh and the carbon sure makes the ride quiet.

Have you considered the pivot firebird? they build up around or under 30lbs and can ride just about anything?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Some good bikes mentioned already. Specialized uses an FSR Horst-Link suspension designed. Tried and true and fully active under braking. It has some squish when pedaling so you will need to use the Propedal lever on the shock. The Trek uses ABP which is a pivot at the drop out to help make the bike fully active. The Giant is a take on a virtual pivot bike that has no linkage in the rear triangle. No linkage = stiffer rear end. Giant is the biggest bike manufacturer in the world so their spec is tough to beat. Great bikes that ride really well. I am a Giant guy with three of them in the garage. The Reign is their 6" travel bike and the Reign X is the 6.7 inch bike.

The trends in MTB right now are 1.5 head tubes (tapered) which are stiffer. You will see 15mm or 20mm axles on forks that also help stiffen the front end. Wider handlebars (up to 750mm) really help with handling. Dropper or height adjust seat posts are also everywhere for AM riding. Wider tires like 2.35 to 2.5 depending on where you ride. Headtube angles are slacker for better descending. You can build as light or as burly as you want depending on your wallet and desired ride. Any AM bike under 30lbs is light. My Reign X with 2.35 tires and a Crank Bros seatpost with a Fox 36, chain guide and wide bar is 32.5lbs. Be careful about the weights tossed out on the forums. Building a light bike costs $$$. I use a shop scale when I weigh mine.

Ask yourself what type of rider you are and where you are going to do most of your riding. That should get your started.

MattSavage
    All these frames are the same... Meh... All that matters is what you're wearing. Lyrca with knee pads is hot ***** right now! I brought it back this season and next year all you AM band wagoneers are gonna be all over it!
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If I was in your position, I would definitely be lookin at Banshee's Spitfire. Slack, light, solid and from a highly reputable company.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos

And again, this is my opinion, but I'd personally stay away from Trek, Specialized. Very expensive for their rather archaic lever-actuated single pivot suspension designs and component specs.
    neither are single pivots...

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by sofarider1
    Someone bought them, so they'll still be around.

Rune?

(BRB...gotta google!)

(Annnnnnnnd, I'm back!)
    Banshee Rune you mean? Nice.

BTW...I didn't mention the following;
    I prefer a low sloped top tube and I'll definitely be riding all day expeditions.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by V.P.
    Welcome back. The general trend has been to increase prices every year.

I wish I was ironic.
    Thanks V.P.!

Yikes.

It seems to me like the sweet spot for a bike not needing any instant upgrades is about $3000.-$4000..
    (something with a decent set of wheels and with at least an XT level spec)

OnTheTrailAgain
    nightnerd
    If I was in your position, I would definitely be lookin at Banshee's Spitfire. Slack, light, solid and from a highly reputable company

Thanks. Will check them out. this is exactly what I'm looking for.
    Brands that are not commonly known (like Trek, Specialized, etc...).
    Not that I have anything against them, I just like options.

MattSavage
    All these frames are the same... Meh... All that matters is what you're wearing. Lyrca with knee pads is hot ***** right now! I brought it back this season and next year all you AM band wagoneers are gonna be all over it

I'm already doing the lycra thing on my road bike.
    I wear them "under" my MTB shorts though.

You're a fashion icon Matt!

bikeguy67
    Some good bikes mentioned already. Specialized uses an FSR Horst-Link suspension designed. Tried and true and fully active under braking. It has some squish when pedaling so you will need to use the Propedal lever on the shock. The Trek uses ABP which is a pivot at the drop out to help make the bike fully active. The Giant is a take on a virtual pivot bike that has no linkage in the rear triangle. No linkage = stiffer rear end. Giant is the biggest bike manufacturer in the world so their spec is tough to beat. Great bikes that ride really well. I am a Giant guy with three of them in the garage. The Reign is their 6" travel bike and the Reign X is the 6.7 inch bike.

The trends in MTB right now are 1.5 head tubes (tapered) which are stiffer. You will see 15mm or 20mm axles on forks that also help stiffen the front end. Wider handlebars (up to 750mm) really help with handling. Dropper or height adjust seat posts are also everywhere for AM riding. Wider tires like 2.35 to 2.5 depending on where you ride. Headtube angles are slacker for better descending. You can build as light or as burly as you want depending on your wallet and desired ride. Any AM bike under 30lbs is light. My Reign X with 2.35 tires and a Crank Bros seatpost with a Fox 36, chain guide and wide bar is 32.5lbs. Be careful about the weights tossed out on the forums. Building a light bike costs $$$. I use a shop scale when I weigh mine.

Ask yourself what type of rider you are and where you are going to do most of your riding. That should get your started.
    Thanks BikeGuy.

That's my target exactly. A sub-30lb. Trail/AM bike.

My last bike was a Roscoe 1. Loved that bike, but simply didn't have the places to ride it.

mtbr member
    Banshee's Spitfire is my current hype-favourite (not had a chance to ride one )

The Orange 5 has been popular for years now, the latest version is especially excellent (I have ridden this one), only problem is the six week waiting list for one... But if you can track one down in NY state get a demo ride.
    Titus are owned by On One now, back in business shortly.
    They've bought up the old stock and will (possibly) be covering current frames and warranty,

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    I mentioned Rune but my main ride is 10 Reign X. Mine comes in at just under 32 #
    I love it. Its the most capable bike I have ever owned. I have owned a few. Mine is fitted with a DHX 5 with Ti coil. The ride is much improved with coil rather than air shock IMO. The air sometimes feels dead and blows through travel a bit with Maestro. I really did not like it with air shock. It transformed once I put the coil on.

The trend is looking like slack head angles 66.5, steep seat angles 75 and lowish bottom brackets 13.8 for all mountain/trail. The steep seat angle puts you forward on the bike for better climbing as well as being out of your way when you drop it descending. The slack head angle is more stable on the descent. Wide (745 or less), low or no rise bars give you better control as well as keeping the front end low when combined with longer travel forks.

I think the Enduro Evo, Rocky Mountain Slayer and the Trek Scratch are the most "trend" setting bikes of the moment.

Keep it light and keep it coil in the rear. IMO.

OnTheTrailAgain
    axolotl
    El Guapo is the nicest ride on your list. My experience is opposite of rhinos. My 2010 reign x did not impress me as much as the titus or an rfx. It just didn't feel solid. The geo is good and the ride is fun. But I think my opinion of the reign x is the minority. It just was not what I was hoping for. The feel of it didn't suit me. It wasn't a component thing either cause I only bought the frame.

I just built a specialized enduro and have to say that the "archaic lever-actuated single pivot" (is a horst link a single pivot?) has got to be far and away the best riding suspension I've experienced on a trail bike. Granted it is not the best pedaling rig (it pedals just fine though). But going downhill fast is where it shines brighter than anything I've ridden. Better riding than the nomad, reign x, titus, and turner. So much so that it is in a completely different category. The feelings I get from the bike compare more to feelings I've had riding dh bikes. It just doesn't feel like any trail bike I've ridden.

My bike is "overbuilt" (meaning built just right) and it's 29lbs with a dropper. I'm sure the enduro is out of your budget but what else can give you a 66.5 HA and 16.5" chainstay and a suspension that's as supple as anything out there? Oh and the carbon sure makes the ride quiet.

Have you considered the pivot firebird? they build up around or under 30lbs and can ride just about anything?
    Hi Ax.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.
    Definitely gives me a lot to think about.
    As far as the Firebird goes, I'm always open.

charging_rhinos
    I'd go for a Giant Reign. Incredible bike. Climbs super well (almost as good as my old hardtail), and feels rock stable going down. IMHO in all aspects, it crushes the Pivots, Specializeds and Titus bikes out there with ease. Add to that, the components are usually far above what others offer for the price. Turner and Ibis are great too, but pretty expensive.

If you're looking for something to pound the downhills a bit more aggressively, Look at a Santa Cruz Nomad. Climbs nearly as well as the Reign, but the frame is a little more robust for drops and the like. SC is an incredibly good bike manufacturer.

Thanks Rhino.

The Nomad was one of the top bikes I was considering last year. Still like it a lot.
    And the Giants are going to get some serious consideration from me too.

b-kul
    spitfire has the trendy geo and travel.
    Spitfire?
    Another Banshee?
    Wow.
    They get love here, don't they.

OnTheTrailAgain
    I mentioned Rune but my main ride is 10 Reign X. Mine comes in at just under 32 #
    I love it. Its the most capable bike I have ever owned. I have owned a few. Mine is fitted with a DHX 5 with Ti coil. The ride is much improved with coil rather than air shock IMO. The air sometimes feels dead and blows through travel a bit with Maestro. I really did not like it with air shock. It transformed once I put the coil on.

The trend is looking like slack head angles 66.5, steep seat angles 75 and lowish bottom brackets 13.8 for all mountain/trail. The steep seat angle puts you forward on the bike for better climbing as well as being out of your way when you drop it descending. The slack head angle is more stable on the descent. Wide (745 or less), low or no rise bars give you better control as well as keeping the front end low when combined with longer travel forks.

I think the Enduro Evo, Rocky Mountain Slayer and the Trek Scratch are the most "trend" setting bikes of the moment.

Keep it light and keep it coil in the rear. IMO.
    The Scratch (especially the black ones) are gorgeous.

Question: Air VS Coil. I never rode a coil sprung bike. I imagine that it reacts faster to trail conditions.

Would I lose any benefits from an air can if I went with a coil shock for a bike that will do mostly heavy trail duty?

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen

Question: Air VS Coil. I never rode a coil sprung bike. I imagine that it reacts faster to trail conditions.

Would I lose any benefits from an air can if I went with a coil shock for a bike that will do mostly heavy trail duty?
    maybe just hitting the perfect sag sweet spot and adjustability. and weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    neither are single pivots...
    Trek ABP is technically a single pivot that brakes like a non-single pivot. The wheel path is the same as a single pivot. That said, I love a good single pivot, and active braking is usually a good thing.

mtbr member
    Ventana X-5. Good deals right now. Coil shock, of course. Revelation fork?

mtbr member
    Knolly Endorphin
    Banshee Spitfire
    Transition Covert

Those are the trends in terms of frames. Other good to great bikes have already been mentioned, Turner, Titus EG etc.

2011 All-Mountain trends include Cane Creek Angleset, Carbon cranks (Race Face SIXC) and Wheelset (Enve)...both out of your price range. Beyond that the usual debates on suspension (DW-link etc etc), predominate, as you can see by the replies.

29'r are hear to stay and if you are a TALL rider I think they make sense, but they are still developing. I am 6'1" though, and I just bought a Knolly 26'r just yesterday (my second)

For reference, I own a Knolly (#2 on the way), Banshee, 3 Titus' (Supermoto and 2 Quasimotos), and a Lightspeed road bike.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Titus has a new owner.

http://on-one.co.uk/news/teams-and-r...uy-titus-bikes
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Nobody has mentioned an emerging trend from....

.......Specialized; the EVO series of bikes, from 29'er 1x10 HT's to Epic's (26" and 29"), Stumpjumper's, and Enduro's. Most of the upgrade work has been done for you - sweet bikes!
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the new 575 looks very very promising, the banshee rune - spitfire is also very interesting and the nomad, all time classic...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen

Yeah like someone else said you do lose the adjustability of just adding air to your shock when you go to a coil, and of course the weight will be heavier than an airshock. I put a coil on my pitch with a ti spring and it made the bike much more to my liking. Also I just built up a spitfire. It came with an rp23 that seems to bottom out easy, but it feels good over small chatter at fast speeds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast