Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    While an enduro may not be a Hyundai accent 3DR hatchback pricing, it is definitely entry level pricing for a solid AM bike, and it delivers much like a civic. Comparing it to a nomad is fair but I'd call the nomad more of a volkswagen jetta than a civic, there's a lot of them in the used market, but they're not THE AM bike. Specialized is the walmart of mountain biking and trek is the target. However trek hasn't made a comparable AM bike until recently, the slash, so they're out of the running. I'd give the nomination to the Enduro because it is a solid, common bike that makes many people happy. Not only that, its reliable as dirt and delivers endless smiles in the corners like a double wishbone civic does.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Ok before everyone keeps answering we need to know a PRICE... Whats the max that your looking to spend on a bike ?

What type of trails do you ride mostly ?

What matters the most to you ? Climbing up or going down ?- Pick one

Then you can get a better idea of bikes

-$1000-ish (used, older model)
    -L.A./So-Cal mountains
    -i refuse to "pick one", so 75%downhill 25%climbing....BTW, aren't AM's the "all arounder" of MTB world??

I'd go with a FS XC bike, but i don't race, so i don't see the big deal if the climbing is a lil' slower. Also, shuttle runs are plentiful here, so leaning towards more DH... having a bike that can do a little of everything is nice and saves space in our apartment

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Banshee Runes are going pretty cheap these days now that the Rune V2 is coming and if you get an older one they did not all have the bushing issue. Mine was a 2008 and had no issues at all.

mtbr member
    Heckler, Enduro, Trance or Fuel EX...

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by CabezaShok View Post
    -L.A./So-Cal mountains
    -i refuse to "pick one", so 75%downhill 25%climbing....BTW, aren't AM's the "all arounder" of MTB world??

I'd go with a FS XC bike, but i don't race, so i don't see the big deal if the climbing is a lil' slower. Also, shuttle runs are plentiful here, so leaning towards more DH... having a bike that can do a little of everything is nice and saves space in our apartment

Ok , i would recommend bumping up your price if you can a bit , maybe wait it out a little bit longer and see if you can step it up to at least 1500-2k . Buddy of mine Just picked up a nice Jamis Bam for 1500 , it comes with a basic BoXXer and Van Shock but thats plenty for a start , but thats a DH bike..

I would say if most your riding will be shuttling and DH trails then pick something up thats FR friendly .. Low , slack , and like 160-180mm of travel . Best of luck to you !

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    First thing to mind before even opening the post....

Heckler

Guess I'm not alone in that thought.

michael
    Same here. Then I opened the post and scrolled down and was most pleased.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Civic of AM bikes is the Heckler.

Does this make the Bullit an Accord?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by emptybe_er View Post
    Civic of AM bikes is the Heckler.

Does this make the Bullit an Accord?

I'll bite.

This Honda...

Must be this MTB...
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm going to agree...heckler is equal to a civic, a nickel to an Accord, and a nomad is a BMW 3 series. We will call a nomad carbon an m3...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CabezaShok View Post
    -L.A./So-Cal mountains
    - 75%downhill
    Also, shuttle runs are plentiful here, so leaning towards more DH...
    Toyota pickup not chitty civic

No mountains near by :(
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    Santa Cruz is a "botique"? Now I know they aren't one of the "big four", but their bikes aren't hard to find on the used market. A quick search of the local Craigslists (Boston area in my case) showed a Heckler, a Nickel, and four Bullits listed within seven days, with prices ranging from $800 to $1800. With very little effort invested in searching I'd say that's promising at the least.

If you didn't mean SC, then I'm not sure what you're referring to.
    Yeah, SC, I'd consider them boutique. We might have differing definitions, but they make their bikes more expensive from new by making them in the US (apart fromt he carbon models which I think are made in the far East?). I'm also a bit cynical of brands that are at the forefront of 'depreciating return' - by which I mean, their new carbon V10 at, what, $3500 for the frame alone. Sure it might be the best in the world, but the marginal gains for the price!!
    Anyway, I'm not in the US, but certainly here in the UK, sticking to Treks, Spesh, Giant et al is the best way to get a decent performing frame for the least money.
    Out of curiousity, who do you mean by the big 4?

No mountains near by :(
    I've just thought of something else - a Nomad MKii (non carbon) is 1800, or $3000 dollars to us. Maybe you can get them cheaper on your home turf, but that puts it way out of reach of most people here. Considering you can get this well kitted out full bike brand new for 200 less than the cost of the frame alone
    YT Wicked 160

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    If your budget allows, building up a Heckler from one of the new frames would be great. Assuming they have sizing that works for you, and you can stretch your budget a bit/use some parts you have now/save a touch more.

Otherwise, a used and built up Heckler or Reign, IMO, would work well.

No crappy bolt on spoiler, Truck Nutz, or shocker sticker. Please.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bluechair84 View Post
    Yeah, SC, I'd consider them boutique.

Anyway, I'm not in the US, but certainly here in the UK, sticking to Treks, Spesh, Giant et al is the best way to get a decent performing frame for the least money.
    Out of curiousity, who do you mean by the big 4?
    In the US, big 4 means Trek, Spesh, Giant, and Cannondale.

IMO, boutique would be something like Lenz, Voodoo, and up to maybe Intense and Ellsworth.

Santa Cruz is more of a mid-size bike vendor, finding itself among brands like Kona and Felt. And while they certainly were made in the US until recently (maybe, 2004?), I think they've shifted all of their production to Taiwan.

The market I'm sure is different in the UK, just providing my point-of-view FWIW.

mtbr member
    id build this up. its $550 w/rear shock. normally its $1098. they have S,M, L and XL too

Santa Cruz Bicycles

2010 GT Avalanche Expert

I'm with stupid
    Is the heckler 650b friendly?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    It should fit the big hoops. the Blur does and its been a favorite amongst 650b riders.

mtbr member
    Norco Range, Fluid, etc...
    Kona Coilair
    Brodie
    GT
    etc...

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I'm fairly certain it is, but I know for a fact that the Prophet is 650b friendly no problem.
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Wink

Rode my "Civic" today; rode my friend's BLTc too... although the differences were noticeable, I don't think I'd grant it (Blur) an Acura label....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2