mtbr member

whats a good 26in tire set up

i ride a yeti 575i ride with a wtb wolverine and a loved it in the wet/muddy dirt but it wore down and the wether got dryer. so now im sliding all over. now its rocky dry and roots. but my rim is a dt swiss x1600 and can only fit a max of 2.25 width. i ride all mountain and some dh. please help.
    Last edited by cdrider; 04-30-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Yes, that's fonetic
    The "it wore down" part should be your first clue. 2.5 is huge, you can fit just about any tire on a rim with that width. Recommending a tire is hard without knowing what type of terrain you ride. "All mountain and some dh" is pretty vague....hard pack or loose? sandy or loamy? rocky or rooty? Ask someone at your lbs who rides the same trails as you do what they run/prefer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    The "it wore down" part should be your first clue. 2.5 is huge, you can fit just about any tire on a rim with that width.
    The rim is 18 mm, the tire is 2.5 inches.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have WTB Bronsons that are treating me well all around. I am riding 2.3s but will switch to a 2.1 rear because they are slower rolling. I ride mid and western NC trails.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Yes, and a 2.5" tire is huge is the point I was trying to make. I can't see anyone wanting to put anything bigger on a 575. Almost anything new would work better than worn out Wolverines.

mtbr member
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

b a n n e d
    Best bet: Ask in your regional forum to find out what others in your area are riding.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    The Wolverines were original fitment on my bike and I really liked them, but they didn't last long at all. I've been looking for a tire ever since that would roll as well (they were 2.2 and were fast) but wear better. Just coming off using a Maxxis High Roller. It lasted a long time, but it claimed to be a 2.1 when it was really a 1.9. Aside from the inevitable pinch flats it was a good tire.

mtbr member
    "it claimed to be a 2.1 when it was really a 1.9"

depends on how much air you put in it
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    sorry i meant to say 2.25 and its rocky, dusty mostly but some roots and loam

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    "it claimed to be a 2.1 when it was really a 1.9"

depends on how much air you put in it
    Surely, you can't be serious?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Yes, that's fonetic

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    The Wolverines were original fitment on my bike and I really liked them, but they didn't last long at all. ......
    How much do you ride on the road? I've known a lot of people that were disappointed at the short life of their tires, but were putting more miles on pavement than on dirt. That's a really good way to wear out tires quickly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Wait for the next "what tire would you recommend" thread to start, or even better look back at the past 20 that have been posted and answered

mtbr member
    How much road riding? Not enough to be worth mentioning. Less than a few percent of total mileage.

And I'll allow for sarcasm on the comment about it depending on how much air you put in it, but most of Maxxis' product line (the models that have been around for a long time) is undersized compared to how it is primarily labelled. If you look at the 2.1 I have, it has "2.1" in large print in several places. However in one place in tiny print it says 47mm, which is 1.85 inches and guess what, if you put a pair of calipers on the tire that's what you read.

I have a few pictures I could upload, but the Minion DHF on the front of the bike now is similarly undersized.

The Wolverine claimed 2.2 and measured up as 2.15. That is close enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Surely, you can't be serious?
    so youre saying air cant make a tire stretch?
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    How much road riding? Not enough to be worth mentioning. Less than a few percent of total mileage.

And I'll allow for sarcasm on the comment about it depending on how much air you put in it, but most of Maxxis' product line (the models that have been around for a long time) is undersized compared to how it is primarily labelled. If you look at the 2.1 I have, it has "2.1" in large print in several places. However in one place in tiny print it says 47mm, which is 1.85 inches and guess what, if you put a pair of calipers on the tire that's what you read.

I have a few pictures I could upload, but the Minion DHF on the front of the bike now is similarly undersized.

how about the 2.1 Nevegal? do you know if that spec is accurate?
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    I've never personally tried any Kendas. Dunno. Have seen many comments in the forums about Maxxis sizing though. No other brand sticks out in my memory like that.

mtbr member
    I used to run Kenda Nevegals (2.1 and 2.35) on my old bike and they grip really well. I'll rate them above the Schwalbe Nobby Nics that I'm running on my current bike. Somehow the Nics tend to slip on uneven terrain; terrain that the Nevs ate up with ease.
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1

GAME ON!

47mm is likely the bead width. knob-to-knob with is where the tire gets its size. the only true way to assess the size of the tire is to measure it with calipers. that, or take the manufacturer's arbitrary measurement for what it's worth.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Take a look at the Continental Trail King 2.2 tubeless w/ black chili or their X-King 2.4 tubeless. The 2.4 X-King is more like a 2.25-2.3. I currently run a 2.4 X-king in the rear and a TK 2.4 up front.

mtbr member
    I use Schwalbe Fat Albert front in 2.4 and either Hans Dampf rear or Racing Ralphs in back....works excellent in this socal dirt. hard pack, loose over hard pack and with grip galore

mtbr member
    Calipers were indeed used. Here's a shot I took at the time. The exposure is bad but you can still make out the mm reading on the calipers. Measurement was taken on the sidewalls. The knobs on the High Roller are barely wider than the sidewalls.

Here's a shot of the knob-width caliper measurement on a Maxxis Minion DHF labelled as a 2.35" tire.

The OEM tires on the bike were 2.2" WTB wolverines. Here's a shot of one of them, measuring up well.

This week I picked up a 2.1" WTB Bronson to replace the High Roller. Since the Wolverines were true to size I was expecting the Bronson would be as well, but it is almost as bad as the HR. Knob width is 2.0, and sidewall is 1.7, barely.

All tires were measured with about 35 PSI.