Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 122
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xlash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    268

    What's with dropper posts?

    Having got a taste of dropper posts, I don't want to ride without it; I can definitely see the benefit of having one. But they are so ridiculously expensive. Now that would be fine except that they are unreliable and costly to keep on the trails. So if I am looking for one that's reliable, requires infrequent maintenance and comes with a remote, which one should I get? I have a feeling pneumatic ones won't make the cut. Please advise.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    184
    Just got a Kind Shock E-Ten from Art's Cyclery for $118 with a discount. Riding with it tomorrow but it gets great reviews.

    Kind Shock eTen Dropper Post 30.9 385 100mm w/Remote

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    710
    The KS LEV and the Rock Shox Reverb are both great...extremely reliable and low maintenance. They are both great, and I have owned both, currently the Reverb. Overall the LEV is better because of the perfect remote, but they both function very well...and are very reliable.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    147

    Re: What's with dropper posts?

    Ks lev+1

    Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk 2

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2
    I have the KS i900. I've had it for 2 years. No problems at all.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    132
    I've had a Spec Command Post Blacklite 125mm for over 2 years on a Niner Jet 9. I like it a lot and it would be hard to live without. Bought it at a Spec dealer on-sale for $220. I average about 40 miles/wk most of the year, sometimes much more. Mechanical system and reliable - had it in after 1.5 years for one quick service when it seemed a little slow on the uptake and the dealer charged me $10 to take it apart and clean it up (very dusty trails where I ride), works like new since. They may have put a new seal in also, I can't remember but since it was only $10 maybe not. That's been it on service. I do try to quickly wipe off the dust after I ride and occasionally add a tiny drop of chain lube at the bottom of the post. I did a bunch of research before I bought it with the same requirements that you listed. Although I've never had an infinite adjustment dropper post I like the presets as you know exactly where the seat is which can be helpful in technical terrain. Also at the time I bought it was one of the lightest posts available. Good luck with your search.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xlash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_mtn View Post
    I've had a Spec Command Post Blacklite 125mm for over 2 years on a Niner Jet 9. I like it a lot and it would be hard to live without. Bought it at a Spec dealer on-sale for $220. I average about 40 miles/wk most of the year, sometimes much more. Mechanical system and reliable - had it in after 1.5 years for one quick service when it seemed a little slow on the uptake and the dealer charged me $10 to take it apart and clean it up (very dusty trails where I ride), works like new since. They may have put a new seal in also, I can't remember but since it was only $10 maybe not. That's been it on service. I do try to quickly wipe off the dust after I ride and occasionally add a tiny drop of chain lube at the bottom of the post. I did a bunch of research before I bought it with the same requirements that you listed. Although I've never had an infinite adjustment dropper post I like the presets as you know exactly where the seat is which can be helpful in technical terrain. Also at the time I bought it was one of the lightest posts available. Good luck with your search.
    I really want to get a CPB since this is going into my Epic Comp but their reviews are average at best. Some in this forum have complained about how the collet is unreliable and Specialized has horrible customer service. The price might not be completely ridiculous but I am in Canada and the LBSs here rip you off every chance they get.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xlash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    268
    The KS Lev has some terrible reviews on here KindShock Lev Dropper Seatpost Reviews - Mtbr.com

    Makes me wonder whether only the ones who have had bad experiences are writing the reviews. But it just means there are that many lemons out there?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xlash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    The KS LEV and the Rock Shox Reverb are both great...extremely reliable and low maintenance. They are both great, and I have owned both, currently the Reverb. Overall the LEV is better because of the perfect remote, but they both function very well...and are very reliable.
    If the Reverb Stealth were ~$200 this thread wouldn't exist. But alas.

  10. #10
    IC2
    IC2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    59
    Plenty of good reviews on this dropper.No hydraulics to fail, it is ugly.Mine works flawlessly over two seasons now.Gravity Dropper Turbo LP | GravityDropper

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    554
    The reverb has pretty crummy reviews there too (the stealth only has 1 review). I'd love a dropper, but until they're as reliable as everything else on my bike I'm not buying one.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2003 Gary Fisher X-Caliber

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    347
    I have a giant contact dropper.....only ridden with it for a while so the jury is out with respect to a long term evaluation, bit it is mechanical and it can be routed stealth.......paid $230 Canadian at the lbs.......

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,162
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
    Just got a Kind Shock E-Ten from Art's Cyclery for $118 with a discount. Riding with it tomorrow but it gets great reviews.

    Kind Shock eTen Dropper Post 30.9 385 100mm w/Remote
    I had this post and it worked flawlessly for price, but sure it's heavier.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,162
    Using a specialized command post now and love it!
    Someday I'd like to get one of those super light 500gram units.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,162

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LB412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    921
    The retooled/updated Crank Bro Kronolog has served me well.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,161
    I have a 2012 Reverb. Its been quite reliable. It requires as much maintenance as a fork. No surprise there. Worth it.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    923
    Specialized Blacklite for 1 1/2 years with no problems, same for 2 friends with the same post.

  19. #19
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    You get what you pay for with dropper posts.

    I have had the LEV and Reverb. Both are great posts. My reverb hasnt had ANY trouble(after the initial bleed procedure) Bleeding the hose is super easy, but sometimes air gets trapped and what appears to be a perfect bleed will result in bubbles popping out of their hiding places into the line. But no sweat, once its dialled in, its care free riding.

    My LEV has been a different story. It may have been a lemon though. It started sagging 1 inch from full extended on the first ride. I sent it back for service, and after is came back it worked fine for about a month. Then it started sagging again. After speaking with Ron, we determined that the post could be a lemon so we replaced all the internals. After that, its been care free riding for the most part. The O ring on the red cover has broken off from removing and installing the cable so many times for service... It has since been replaced with a zip tie. Also, my LEV quits working around 15 degrees F due to the cable sticking in the housing. Dont know what the reverb does at cold temps...

    I plan to sell the LEV for another Reverb. I am a fan of the hydraulic actuation and Rock Shoxs warranty.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,613
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
    Just got a Kind Shock E-Ten from Art's Cyclery for $118 with a discount. Riding with it tomorrow but it gets great reviews.

    Kind Shock eTen Dropper Post 30.9 385 100mm w/Remote
    Is the E10 infinitely adjustable or does it have preset heights?

  21. #21
    steel is real...heavy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    193
    The eten is infinitely adjustable. Have had it since the beginning of the year and raced on it...No probs so far.
    South Central PA

  22. #22
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,375
    If you search and are patient, you can find a great deal on a new dropper. I sold a brand new HILO for $150. I purchased a brand new 2013 reverb for 190 on ebay.

    For me, its worth $190 to help keep me from potential of braking bones, teeth, face, etc. when the riding gets hairy.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,162
    Most sites have decent droppers on sale for 150-250 so buying used may not be worth it sometimes.
    I do have a dropper I bought used and it was said to be like new but it leaks air so it's not new and the seals need replacement. I can't return it so I am stuck with it.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by xlash View Post
    I really want to get a CPB since this is going into my Epic Comp but their reviews are average at best. Some in this forum have complained about how the collet is unreliable and Specialized has horrible customer service. The price might not be completely ridiculous but I am in Canada and the LBSs here rip you off every chance they get.
    I had the same concerns and read similar reviews before I bought the CPB. The Spec LBSs here have 20% off sales at least 2x/year but if they know you and you have bought other stuff in the past they will give you the discount occasionally if you ask. I decided to go with the simplest, lightest design and lowest investment and hope for the best although I had low expectations. Worked out much better than I expected.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,613
    A guy posted here recently showing how he replaced his thumb lever for his cable actuated post with a grip shifter on the left side of his 1X bike. I thought that was pretty clever.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    861
    I've ridden/owned - and like the OP - wont ride without one anymore:

    Older CB Kronolog - worked great for 6 months - than slippage - CB updated under warranty to new specs/post. but had already bought a LEV while it was out. Sold it.

    KS LEV - never got working properly - sticky on return and would many times stop 1 inch from top. Liked the smoothness and cable mounting. but for a $400 dropper - should have worked - even after dealer service. Sold w bike.

    Giant Contact Switch (on the Anthem 29er)... cant say a bad word about it. Has worked flawless since purchase. Dont ride this bike much anymore - but its there if i need. Some minor saddle movement - but dont notice while actually pedaling.

    xfusion hilo remote. Came spec'd w bike. Weight claim is as light as most. has some slight saddle movement - but like the Giant - dont notice while riding. Has worked completely smooth and never an issue. Simply works and works well.

    Overall if "value" is a concern - which it should be - I'd say Xfusion due to weight, smoothness and how it works. I believe cost is also lower than many of the others and comparable to the Giant but much lower weight and 5" drop

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    248
    I have a KindShock Lev 150 mm and have used it for almost a season and it has been flawless.

    I wanted a cheaper alternative for my fatbike, and it had to be 27.2, so I bought a tmars seatpost off ebay and it worked great all winter- and was only about 80 or 90 bucks.....shipping from Israel was about a month.

    I had Joplins in the past, which died. I also have a reverb, and got the lev when the reverb had to go in for service (which took a month).

  28. #28
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    817
    [/QUOTE]Overall if "value" is a concern - which it should be - I'd say Xfusion due to weight, smoothness and how it works. I believe cost is also lower than many of the others and comparable to the Giant but much lower weight and 5" drop[/QUOTE]

    I'm thinking of purchasing this post. Any recommendation on 125mm vs 100mm travel on an xc bike? I'm not a racer so this bike is set up as my all purpose trail bike. I'm thinking 100mm should suffice

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    27
    Overall if "value" is a concern - which it should be - I'd say Xfusion due to weight, smoothness and how it works. I believe cost is also lower than many of the others and comparable to the Giant but much lower weight and 5" drop[/QUOTE]

    I'm thinking of purchasing this post. Any recommendation on 125mm vs 100mm travel on an xc bike? I'm not a racer so this bike is set up as my all purpose trail bike. I'm thinking 100mm should suffice[/QUOTE]



    I too am in the market for a dropper post, I had debated the travel myself, I've come to the conclusion, more travel the better?

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,217
    just get one, you'll love it so much that you'll put up with any brand's reliability BS.

    I got one a month ago or so and after one ride was so floored that I bought another for my 2nd bike. Don't want to ride without one.

    They are worth all the BS so in that sense the choice isn't all that important. For me, I wanted more reliable/simple, didn't see the need for continuous adjustment just wanted to know where it was each time it was up or down, and didn't care about looks. It made GD an easy choice--they are awesome.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    90
    +1 for Gravity Dropper. Works flawlessly. Simple design.
    If the climb doesn't kill ya, it only makes you stronger!

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,162
    More travel on a drop post is not always better.
    The travel should keep your seat at a comparable to your existing seat height with fixed post.
    Don't get 150mm when 125mm is the correct height.

    Also, the insert depth can be an issue on longer travel posts.
    Especially for internal routing posts.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    More travel on a drop post is not always better.
    The travel should keep your seat at a comparable to your existing seat height with fixed post.
    Don't get 150mm when 125mm is the correct height.

    Also, the insert depth can be an issue on longer travel posts.
    Especially for internal routing posts.
    Yes, to expand on that....

    Before I got my dropper I never considered that a seat post could be too long, but remember that you can't sink a dropper down into the seat tube past a certain point, past the collar part.
    So, my dropper is 125, and with it inserted as far down as it can go into the frame, the saddle was still just a touch too high. I fixed it by noticing that some saddles are much lower profile between top and rails, so a got a "thinner" saddle which lowered it just enough to fit me. But I'd be better off with a 100mm drop. People with short legs or riding frames on the tall side will run into this problem.

    I don't usually drop it down all the way anyway. A couple of inches makes a big difference in maneuverability and lowering center of gravity, and still keeps the saddle in a position where you can pinch it with your legs for stability and leverage. 100 mm would be enough drop for me.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,162
    I need to trade my 150 for a 125 for my frame needs.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    141
    I have an e-ten which has been largely trouble free. Nothing beyond normal cleaning required after a bit over a year. I thought the 100mm might not be enough and didn't think I cared about infinite adjustment, but still bought it because the price was right.

    Fast forward a year, and I've never wanted or needed more than the 4 inch drop, and I love the infinite adjust. I'll often raise or drop it a 1/4" for the perfect height on a techy trail. Like most converts, I can't imagine riding without a dropper.

  36. #36
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    817
    good info. After measuring the amount of post above my seat tube, i don't thing anything more that 100mm is going to work. So that's what it will have to be.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,161
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Yes, to expand on that....

    Before I got my dropper I never considered that a seat post could be too long, but remember that you can't sink a dropper down into the seat tube past a certain point, past the collar part.
    So, my dropper is 125, and with it inserted as far down as it can go into the frame, the saddle was still just a touch too high. I fixed it by noticing that some saddles are much lower profile between top and rails, so a got a "thinner" saddle which lowered it just enough to fit me. But I'd be better off with a 100mm drop. People with short legs or riding frames on the tall side will run into this problem.

    I don't usually drop it down all the way anyway. A couple of inches makes a big difference in maneuverability and lowering center of gravity, and still keeps the saddle in a position where you can pinch it with your legs for stability and leverage. 100 mm would be enough drop for me.
    Same here. I have a 100mm post on a medium Trek Remedy. I only have 1.25 inches of the seatpost under the top cap showing. If I had a 125mm Reverb, I may be in trouble.

    And anyhow, I don't slam the post down all the way as then, it's too low, below my knee, when I'm standing on the pedals. I like it above the knee so can put pressure on it with my thighs while turning.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    216
    I've been riding without a dropper for a while now and really thought I would never own one. Now, I am purchasing one. It breaks the flow of my riding when I just shredded down a sweet single track to have it hairpin back up and I have to Stop.................release..............look for lines on post for right ride height...............clamp.......hop back on and start pedaling. Done!! Purchased the new Giant Contact post for my Trance 3 for $ 179.00.............. Sold !!!

  39. #39
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    817
    How well do shims work for models with limited sizes? My seat tube is 31.6

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: robncircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    457
    I've had the Kronolog and currently run a LEV. The Kronolog worked perfectly for about a year then developed about 1CM of sag. I decided to "upgrade" to a Lev. My first Lev was broken out of the box - It would pop and inch or so back up after being pushed down. I traded it for a new Lev at the shop. First ride was perfect. Second ride it continually got stuck in the down position. Third ride perfect. Last 10 rides it's been nothing but a headache. Sags when it wants to. Goes down on it's own. Sometimes won't go down. I finally emailed KS and I'm waiting to hear back. For this $$$ they should function much better. I live/ride in SO Cal so there's no mud, cold, wet, etc.. just dry and dusty.

    My $.02.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,613
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    How well do shims work for models with limited sizes? My seat tube is 31.6
    Almost all them come in a 31.6 size, but if you needed to shim, it should work fine.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    209
    Your LBS will likely have years of experience with maintaining and re-building a particular dropper. Mine uses the Reverb and they have seen every problem and will fix it as quickly as humanly possible - and lots of spare parts kicking around. So I got a Reverb from them and have been very happy thus far.

    Something to think about, whether you buy from them or no.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    How well do shims work for models with limited sizes? My seat tube is 31.6
    I boguth 2 GDs at 27.2, despite both bikes being 30.9,and I use shims on each--no problems. I wanted 27.2 so I'd have the option of using the GDs on future frames that could have different size seat tubes. 27.2 with a shim gives you more options down the road.

    I also use a slasa lip-lock collar on each bike. Imo, it can be cranked down as much as you need to prevent slippage. I asked GD in advance and they confirmed that cranking the collar down around the post is not a problem at all.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EmbraceTheHate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    520

    Re: What's with dropper posts?

    Almost bought the xfusion hilo last night on pricepoint. But I figured ill wait and see if I can find a good deal on a reverb first. Plus my Thomson elite post is pretty sweet already.......

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    122
    I have a Reverb Stealth on my Spitfire and just picked up a LEV 27.2 for my hardtail. This isn't my first Reverb, and my last one failed actually, but I like SRAM's customer service and like the action of the Reverb when its working. This new one has been trouble free, though it does sound a bit "dry", like it's a bit short on oil from the factory. The LEV on my hardtail has only seen one ride, but I can say that I do like it so far - very smooth operation. It did get "stuck" about an inch from the top of the stroke a couple of times, but knocked that off further into the ride.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    27
    Ordered up a reverb last night, 100mm travel as I'm not a very tall guy. This will be my first dropper! Wanted one for awhile just never pulled the trigger until now!

  47. #47
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Eh, never even tried one. I rode for many years without a seatpost quick release, seat at full XC height. If you can't get behind the seat on technical sections, your pants are too baggy. If I'm going to be riding rolling technical terrain, I'll just drop the seat and climb standing up.

  48. #48
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Eh, never even tried one. I rode for many years without a seatpost quick release, seat at full XC height. If you can't get behind the seat on technical sections, your pants are too baggy. If I'm going to be riding rolling technical terrain, I'll just drop the seat and climb standing up.
    What's with dropper posts?-szrkig.jpg

  49. #49
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    817
    so the Gravity looks like it has a piece where the cable connects to the post that might prevent how low the post can go into the seat tube. Any issues with this? im currently using less than 6" of seatpost at full extension (save the jokes)

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,256
    Quote Originally Posted by xlash View Post
    Having got a taste of dropper posts, I don't want to ride without it; I can definitely see the benefit of having one. But they are so ridiculously expensive. Now that would be fine except that they are unreliable and costly to keep on the trails. So if I am looking for one that's reliable, requires infrequent maintenance and comes with a remote, which one should I get? I have a feeling pneumatic ones won't make the cut. Please advise.
    Gravity Dropper.
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why are dropper posts so bad?
    By DrewBird in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 12-31-2013, 05:57 PM
  2. Dropper Posts?
    By SeaHag in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-05-2013, 03:18 PM
  3. Dropper posts!
    By golden boy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-27-2013, 02:52 PM
  4. Dropper Pooper Posts
    By woodyak in forum Knolly
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-10-2012, 04:31 PM
  5. Am I right about dropper posts?
    By rockerc in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 09-17-2011, 11:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •