Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

What's with dropper posts?

Having got a taste of dropper posts, I don't want to ride without it; I can definitely see the benefit of having one. But they are so ridiculously expensive. Now that would be fine except that they are unreliable and costly to keep on the trails. So if I am looking for one that's reliable, requires infrequent maintenance and comes with a remote, which one should I get? I have a feeling pneumatic ones won't make the cut. Please advise.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Just got a Kind Shock E-Ten from Art's Cyclery for $118 with a discount. Riding with it tomorrow but it gets great reviews.

Kind Shock eTen Dropper Post 30.9 385 100mm w/Remote

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The KS LEV and the Rock Shox Reverb are both great...extremely reliable and low maintenance. They are both great, and I have owned both, currently the Reverb. Overall the LEV is better because of the perfect remote, but they both function very well...and are very reliable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Re: What's with dropper posts?

Ks lev+1

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I have the KS i900. I've had it for 2 years. No problems at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've had a Spec Command Post Blacklite 125mm for over 2 years on a Niner Jet 9. I like it a lot and it would be hard to live without. Bought it at a Spec dealer on-sale for $220. I average about 40 miles/wk most of the year, sometimes much more. Mechanical system and reliable - had it in after 1.5 years for one quick service when it seemed a little slow on the uptake and the dealer charged me $10 to take it apart and clean it up (very dusty trails where I ride), works like new since. They may have put a new seal in also, I can't remember but since it was only $10 maybe not. That's been it on service. I do try to quickly wipe off the dust after I ride and occasionally add a tiny drop of chain lube at the bottom of the post. I did a bunch of research before I bought it with the same requirements that you listed. Although I've never had an infinite adjustment dropper post I like the presets as you know exactly where the seat is which can be helpful in technical terrain. Also at the time I bought it was one of the lightest posts available. Good luck with your search.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_mtn View Post
    I've had a Spec Command Post Blacklite 125mm for over 2 years on a Niner Jet 9. I like it a lot and it would be hard to live without. Bought it at a Spec dealer on-sale for $220. I average about 40 miles/wk most of the year, sometimes much more. Mechanical system and reliable - had it in after 1.5 years for one quick service when it seemed a little slow on the uptake and the dealer charged me $10 to take it apart and clean it up (very dusty trails where I ride), works like new since. They may have put a new seal in also, I can't remember but since it was only $10 maybe not. That's been it on service. I do try to quickly wipe off the dust after I ride and occasionally add a tiny drop of chain lube at the bottom of the post. I did a bunch of research before I bought it with the same requirements that you listed. Although I've never had an infinite adjustment dropper post I like the presets as you know exactly where the seat is which can be helpful in technical terrain. Also at the time I bought it was one of the lightest posts available. Good luck with your search.
    I really want to get a CPB since this is going into my Epic Comp but their reviews are average at best. Some in this forum have complained about how the collet is unreliable and Specialized has horrible customer service. The price might not be completely ridiculous but I am in Canada and the LBSs here rip you off every chance they get.

mtbr member
    The KS Lev has some terrible reviews on here KindShock Lev Dropper Seatpost Reviews - Mtbr.com

Makes me wonder whether only the ones who have had bad experiences are writing the reviews. But it just means there are that many lemons out there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    The KS LEV and the Rock Shox Reverb are both great...extremely reliable and low maintenance. They are both great, and I have owned both, currently the Reverb. Overall the LEV is better because of the perfect remote, but they both function very well...and are very reliable.
    If the Reverb Stealth were ~$200 this thread wouldn't exist. But alas.

IC2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Plenty of good reviews on this dropper.No hydraulics to fail, it is ugly.Mine works flawlessly over two seasons now.Gravity Dropper Turbo LP | GravityDropper

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The reverb has pretty crummy reviews there too (the stealth only has 1 review). I'd love a dropper, but until they're as reliable as everything else on my bike I'm not buying one.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2003 Gary Fisher X-Caliber - Mid rebuild

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have a giant contact dropper.....only ridden with it for a while so the jury is out with respect to a long term evaluation, bit it is mechanical and it can be routed stealth.......paid $230 Canadian at the lbs.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
    Just got a Kind Shock E-Ten from Art's Cyclery for $118 with a discount. Riding with it tomorrow but it gets great reviews.

I had this post and it worked flawlessly for price, but sure it's heavier.

mtbr member
    Using a specialized command post now and love it!
    Someday I'd like to get one of those super light 500gram units.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    The retooled/updated Crank Bro Kronolog has served me well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have a 2012 Reverb. Its been quite reliable. It requires as much maintenance as a fork. No surprise there. Worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Specialized Blacklite for 1 1/2 years with no problems, same for 2 friends with the same post.

Bro Mountainbiker
    You get what you pay for with dropper posts.

I have had the LEV and Reverb. Both are great posts. My reverb hasnt had ANY trouble(after the initial bleed procedure) Bleeding the hose is super easy, but sometimes air gets trapped and what appears to be a perfect bleed will result in bubbles popping out of their hiding places into the line. But no sweat, once its dialled in, its care free riding.

My LEV has been a different story. It may have been a lemon though. It started sagging 1 inch from full extended on the first ride. I sent it back for service, and after is came back it worked fine for about a month. Then it started sagging again. After speaking with Ron, we determined that the post could be a lemon so we replaced all the internals. After that, its been care free riding for the most part. The O ring on the red cover has broken off from removing and installing the cable so many times for service... It has since been replaced with a zip tie. Also, my LEV quits working around 15 degrees F due to the cable sticking in the housing. Dont know what the reverb does at cold temps...

I plan to sell the LEV for another Reverb. I am a fan of the hydraulic actuation and Rock Shoxs warranty.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post

Is the E10 infinitely adjustable or does it have preset heights?

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005
    The eten is infinitely adjustable. Have had it since the beginning of the year and raced on it...No probs so far.
    South Central PA

mtbr member
    If you search and are patient, you can find a great deal on a new dropper. I sold a brand new HILO for $150. I purchased a brand new 2013 reverb for 190 on ebay.

For me, its worth $190 to help keep me from potential of braking bones, teeth, face, etc. when the riding gets hairy.

mtbr member
    Most sites have decent droppers on sale for 150-250 so buying used may not be worth it sometimes.
    I do have a dropper I bought used and it was said to be like new but it leaks air so it's not new and the seals need replacement. I can't return it so I am stuck with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by xlash View Post
    I really want to get a CPB since this is going into my Epic Comp but their reviews are average at best. Some in this forum have complained about how the collet is unreliable and Specialized has horrible customer service. The price might not be completely ridiculous but I am in Canada and the LBSs here rip you off every chance they get.
    I had the same concerns and read similar reviews before I bought the CPB. The Spec LBSs here have 20% off sales at least 2x/year but if they know you and you have bought other stuff in the past they will give you the discount occasionally if you ask. I decided to go with the simplest, lightest design and lowest investment and hope for the best although I had low expectations. Worked out much better than I expected.

mtbr member
    A guy posted here recently showing how he replaced his thumb lever for his cable actuated post with a grip shifter on the left side of his 1X bike. I thought that was pretty clever.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast