Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am a GD owner, maybe 2 months, love it. But I am sure I'd love all of the other posts while they are working, too.

There are some valid points raised above about the weaknesses of the GD, e.g., lack of continuous height adjustability, the lever is a bit awkward, and the cable out the rear, and the appearance. Those are enough to turn people off, if it were all just reliability, that mattered to people then the GD would be dominating the market.

I ride with 9" exposed seatpost in normal position, dropping 5" on my GD gets me everything I need. If I have to get lower than those last 4", I am going behind the seat anyway. In any event, other riders legitmately want/need more adjustment or may want it to stop short. That's just good product differentiation across companies. The GD isn't for everyone, but I lvoe it sof ar and it fits my needs. Just like I ruled out other product because of seals, air, hydraulics, others legitmately rule out the GD because they need more adjustability at the very least.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    forgot to end the above with--decide what is most important to you in a dropper post-- then do your homework on the brands.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I use a 100mm Reverb because I'm a tweener 5'10 on a Large frame (I'm usually on the upper end of a Medium frame and the lower end of a Large - I went larger). It turns out that a 125mm Reverb dropped all the way into the frame is still about a quarter-inch too high for me when fully extended - I realize that's not very much but you notice it in a hurry.

The 100mm does not drop quite so far down, as it's not buried quite so far into the frame, but it's still low enough that I have no problems getting behind the saddle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hey guys, kinda along the same lines, but I have a X-Fusion Hilo post, and what do ya know they forgot to send me the actual joystick, or the lever with the post. So all I have right now is a post that can only drop so far, and is super sketchy on anything that is downhill and techy. I gave X-Fusion a call and went through the whole process of ordering the part, and what do ya know, they never sent it, and whenever I call back they pretend they aren't there. (Go X-Fusion, woo!) So my question is, is there any way to rig it to work with a thumb shifter or something of that nature without it being to bulky? It's a pain in the ass, but I ride my AM on some downhill stuff, and it is way to sketchy riding with a high seat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Next time you steal a dropper post....don't forget the actuator!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    LOL I wish... but in all honesty, X-Fusion has horrible customer service and I am without a drop lever. The real culprit? I bought the bike from Crosslakesales. They said that dropper posts don't exist and that I was crazy. Moral of the story? Don't buy a complete from Crosslake. But seriously... Any way I could make this work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwcold55 View Post
    LOL I wish... but in all honesty, X-Fusion has horrible customer service and I am without a drop lever. The real culprit? I bought the bike from Crosslakesales. They said that dropper posts don't exist and that I was crazy. Moral of the story? Don't buy a complete from Crosslake. But seriously... Any way I could make this work?
    Crosslake is legit. Sounds like you are full of crap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwcold55 View Post
    Hey guys, kinda along the same lines, but I have a X-Fusion Hilo post, and what do ya know they forgot to send me the actual joystick, or the lever with the post. So all I have right now is a post that can only drop so far, and is super sketchy on anything that is downhill and techy. I gave X-Fusion a call and went through the whole process of ordering the part, and what do ya know, they never sent it, and whenever I call back they pretend they aren't there. (Go X-Fusion, woo!) So my question is, is there any way to rig it to work with a thumb shifter or something of that nature without it being to bulky? It's a pain in the ass, but I ride my AM on some downhill stuff, and it is way to sketchy riding with a high seat.
    The post uses a cable to pull the actuator. Just find something that will pull the actuator (thumb shifter, poplock...etc)

mtbr member
    If you don't run a front derailleur, you can use a gripshift on the left as a cable pull for the dropper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ha!
    This does seem sketchy to me. I've had great customer service from X-fusion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Crosslake is legit. Sounds like you are full of crap.
    I will back snowcold on this one.

We had a new Trigger that came with the X-Fusion Dropper post, but it did not have the remote. It did have the lever on the post itself. Customer wanted to buy the bike and have a remote lever installed. He bought the bike and we were going to get the remote for him. Called X-Fusion and they said it was on the way, 2 weeks go by and no remote. Call them again and did not see that we ordered one, again ordered, again 2 weeks go by and nothing. Third time and the freakin exact same thing. By this time the customer is pissed off. Called them the 4th time and X-Fusion says sorry we no longer make a remote for that dropper, try Ebay. Will never use anything of theres again.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Happy Reverb owner here. Have the non-stealth version. Going into my 3rd season with it now. Never had a single issue, haven't had to rebleed yet either. Just been solid. I have the 100mm version.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Putting it in perspective, for all the technology you get in a dropper, the price isn't too terrible, considering a non-dropper seat post can cost over 100 bucks, and all that is, is a piece of tubing with a clamp on top. If it was sold in the plumbing supply section of Home Depot, they would cost about 6 bucks!
    I'm glad I'm the the only one who felt that way.

I'd pay more for a dropper post than for the premium fetched by a lot of fancy, weight weenie or pretty bits. Maybe it's riding style but I get more out of it than my bikes that have fancy stuff.

My Joplin 4 started life with a few trips back to CA and lame performance from Crank Brothers - I guess I was supposed to be impressed that a famous racer woman was responding to the part that broke a few times until they used some revised parts. It has been reliable since if you don't count not so great at holding air - something you can live with if not remote control.

The Thomson was a recent purchase and I'm impressed so far. I know it has the nitrogen cartridge they have to service but that technology held in in car parts I've had.

IMO the simplicity of cable operation and option for no remote stood out on top of the company having a great reputation in general.

I liked the graphic posted earlier. It made me think of a friend who says he doesn't get droppers but then slows down on the steeps and doesn't take the opportunity to fly when he could.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Thomson Masterpiece. That's why I'm here. Im trying to decide which unreliable and/or featureless dropper to put on my bike. I do know that I want infinite adjustability. I'll probably go with a Thomson.
    The GD has a whole lot more features than the Thomson Masterpiece.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    I will back snowcold on this one.

We had a new Trigger that came with the X-Fusion Dropper post, but it did not have the remote. It did have the lever on the post itself. Customer wanted to buy the bike and have a remote lever installed. He bought the bike and we were going to get the remote for him. Called X-Fusion and they said it was on the way, 2 weeks go by and no remote. Call them again and did not see that we ordered one, again ordered, again 2 weeks go by and nothing. Third time and the freakin exact same thing. By this time the customer is pissed off. Called them the 4th time and X-Fusion says sorry we no longer make a remote for that dropper, try Ebay. Will never use anything of theres again.
    I have to actually retract my above statements about X-Fusion. I went through their sales rep, and the dude helped me out so much. Gave me his personal number, helped me make sure I had the right parts, and personally went out and got the piece sent to me. Crosslakes still blows (They won't even return my call) But X-fusion is legit. I think it can be tough working from different time zones, and that's why it was tough to communicate with them originally. But hey, all good now! Got my trigger in the mail, should be here tomorrow. Thanks X-Fusion.

mtbr member
    I have had great luck with X-Fusion. I had their original 125 Hilo for about 2.5 years before it finally crapped out on me. I have talked to them on the phone several times over the past few days and they have been nothing short of great. I actually just ordered the new Hilo Strate directly from them since they are not available anywhere. I can not wait to get it in and try it out!

-Brett

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Got to try my x-fusion hilo 100mm a couple of times and I am happy with it. Actually very happy. Have to find a remote for it now as using the under the seat lever feels dangerous to me, just like an accident waiting to happen. I will call them up and go from there, could not find any in ebay

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Bringing back an ongoing topic. I spent a day on a Reverb Stealth on a bike rental at a bike park yesterday. The control/button was so much better than my GD's lever that it made me consider it worth the trade off of regular bleeds an more maintenance. Although I had no need to put the seat in climbing position, the continuous adjustment was a much better feature than I had anticipated. It was an absolute pleasure to use this post, was much easier to activate than my GD.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My bike came with the X fusion and It was one of the parts I was going to upgrade but I have to say that so far this thing has been great and I think it retails for under 200.00. I checked out the specs and its lighter than the reverb. I've only had it for about two months so I can't comment on reliability. But for the price it might be worth to take a look at it. I have the 125mm version. Also you can raise or lower it to almost any point. I usually have it raised on the straights and drop it just a bit on the technical stuff and fully drop it on the steep drops or when I want to get some air time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What's with dropper posts?

Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Bringing back an ongoing topic. I spent a day on a Reverb Stealth on a bike rental at a bike park yesterday. The control/button was so much better than my GD's lever that it made me consider it worth the trade off of regular bleeds an more maintenance. Although I had no need to put the seat in climbing position, the continuous adjustment was a much better feature than I had anticipated. It was an absolute pleasure to use this post, was much easier to activate than my GD.
    Thomson cable = no bleed. Thomson is also superb in terms of micro or adjustment and that cable means the option for a lever. Lever is nice if you move the part between bikes.

mtbr member
    My cheap $100 KS was the best of several droppers I have owned.

I have had two $250 units from Specialized that are not as smooth to operate but are lighter weight.

I am thinking to going over to the nice lighter KS units.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i got a KS eTen a little while ago and its been awesome. little heavy but for 120 you cant argue. infinite adjustment is very handy. never going back now

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5