Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Laterilus View Post
    For LEV and other KS droppers along with the Reverb: these posts will not leave you stranded in the woods, you just lose the ability to use the post. The Reverb comes with a silver collar that can prevent post movement. It is also sold separately and also works on the KS posts. If you blow a seal while out on the trail, simply raise the post to max height (or some other height at least a couple of inches above the main collar) then put the rockshox silver collar around the stanchion and butt it up against the main collar. Tighten it down. The post won't move and you can continue with your ride.

The silver collar is small and not heavy so I stuff it in my hydration pack. It takes 2 minutes to do a field fix on one of these posts so you can continue riding. It doesn't fix the fact that a seal has blown, but you won't be left with that "oh crap" feeling wondering how you are going to do the next 5-10 miles with a saddle slammed all the way down.
    I appreciate the comment, and that does make me hate these posts less.

But still, the fact that the post comes with this in the box is not instilling a lot of faith in reliability. It is basically like they are saying "This post is going to fail you, here is this thing to turn it into a regular seat post when this happens."

It gives me a slight LOL.
    El Guapoooooooo

mtbr member
    My reverb didn't come with one of those collars, but I want one!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hah, this thread makes me laugh... Well the first page does. That's all I had patience to read.

I get the whole thing about wanting a good looking bike and everything. Shite, I just dropped $30 for the blue color kit for my KS i950. BUT, my Gravity dropper is the freaking bomb as far as functionality and durability.

I'd bet my nut sack that if they didn't have that ugly rubber boot on them they'd be the only recommended dropper post on this site.

Get over the aesthetics of them and buy a GD. none of the other dropper posts I've owned or ridden, almost all of them, come close to the GD reliability and durability.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey View Post
    The main complaint I have with these posts is not price, but reliability. If it is going to leave me left in the woods in the middle of a 4 hour epic, it is going in the trash.

I trust that Tmars post next to zero.

I cannot stress how great the Gravity Dropper is. I have had personal experience (owned or ridden) the following posts.

1) X-fusion HILO. Got for around $200 a long time ago (1st gen). It was actually pretty great for the price, but ultimately failed after roughly 8-10 months (seals blew). I could fix it at home with a very simple rebuild and new seals, customer service is great, BUT it left me in the woods twice. Retired to the back-up parts bin.

2) Gravity Dropper Turbo. On year two right now. Have greased it one time, and replaced the cable once. I use my old rear derailleur cables cut short and soldered at the tip, so that was free. I have about 100ft of cable housing. Total time/$ invested in 1.5 years = $10 (max) and an hour of time. BY FAR THE BEST OF THE BUNCH.

3) 2 of my buddies have LEVs. Both have been back to KS at least once, and my buddy has started a rather epic repair thread in these forums due to the sheer amount of times his post has failed. He basically always has someones LEV in his shop. They work the best, but they aren't exactly reliable.

4) Reverb. 1 buddy. Back for repairs twice in less than 1 year.

That is all I have experiences with.

My favorite quote about the admittedly hideous gravity dropper (stolen): "the LEV/Reverb/DOSS sure does look good with a return label slapped on it"
    I'm not sure if you have some experience with the Tmars post, or if you just don't trust it because it is cheap. I mention mine because the thread topic was about someone who would like to see a significantly cheaper alternative - which is what the Tmars represents and the gravity dropper does not.

Personally I have had very good results with the lev, as have my riding buddies who have them. My lbs has also had none of them returned with issues. I do use the full range of travel - and micro adjust the seat height so I much prefer the functionality to a gravity dropper type of post. Many people don't find that important, but I do.

mtbr member
    Dang, if someone could make a reliable dropper, they could make millions. It doesn't seem like it should be that difficult.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Dang, if someone could make a reliable dropper, they could make millions. It doesn't seem like it should be that difficult.
    Someone already has.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There are several very reliable posts available.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Every time a thread comes up talking about dropper post reliability, a bunch of GD owners pipe up and mention how incredibly reliable theirs have been.

Mine's been running 6-7 years, greased it twice, and still works fine.
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

mtbr member
    There's something very aesthetically unpleasing about their droppers. And, I'm not really sure I want a Turbo Unit on my dropper.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    I don't think the rubber boot is that ugly, actually.
    And I bet it could be replaced with a Lizard Skins boot that might be a little less noticeable.

On the other hand, I don't think any of the Gravity Droppers are infinitely adjustable, and that's not good, IMO.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    There's something very aesthetically unpleasing about their droppers. And, I'm not really sure I want a Turbo Unit on my dropper.
    Anyone who passes on a GD due to aesthetic concerns needs to just STFU about lack of reliable options.

bike rider
    ^Not enough travel or infinite stops and a big clumsy remote. That's the real reason GD doesn't rule the market.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I don't think the rubber boot is that ugly, actually.
    And I bet it could be replaced with a Lizard Skins boot that might be a little less noticeable.

On the other hand, I don't think any of the Gravity Droppers are infinitely adjustable, and that's not good, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    ^Not enough travel or infinite stops and a big clumsy remote. That's the real reason GD doesn't rule the market.
    All very good points. Actually bad points!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Anyone who passes on a GD due to aesthetic concerns needs to just STFU about lack of reliable options.
    Im sorry if I don't want to put something, that is in my opinion, butt ugly, and doesn't have the features I want, on my otherwise very nice looking bike. It's not like I can shave it's ass and make it walk backwards.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    And every one I've seen has some significant play, I can't stand play. My command post has almost none, better than most I've tried in this respect. Doesn't the GD also require some weird up/down weighting to make it work right too? I forget...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    All very good points. Actually bad points!
    Good points until you actually use it and realize they are good selling points, but don't really matter much in terms of functionality. Yes I have used posts with slicker remotes and infinite adjust. It's pretty much up or down. Sometimes just a little down. Pretty much what the GD offers.

Same with the play (which is pretty small, actually). I defy anyone to tell the difference when riding in a blind test.

Whatever, different strokes. If these trivial marketing aspects make a reliable, light and relatively cheap post a no-go, then here are plenty of more expensive crapshooters out there to buy and complain about the price and/or weight, and/or reliability. Just don't complain about the unreliability/cost of all the dropper posts because you got sucked into thinking you need a buch of marginal features.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Yep.

And "infinite adjustability" is another one of those BS marketing terms that riders seem to have swallowed hook, line and sinker.

We're talking maybe a max of 5" of adjustability on a dropper post. You'd have to be Greek philosopher to seriously think that any of those other posts are infinitely adjustable.

The GD is limited to 3 positions, which I don't find much of a problem. It does require tapping the saddle to initiate a drop/return, which is a little more complex than newer posts, but the tradeoff is incredible reliability.

It's certainly not pretty, so it's not for anyone who is more concerned about having a pretty bike than a reliable post.
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

Elitest thrill junkie

Same with the play (which is pretty small, actually). I defy anyone to tell the difference when riding in a blind test.
    That's the biggest thing I can tell when riding.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Im sorry if I don't want to put something, that is in my opinion, butt ugly, and doesn't have the features I want, on my otherwise very nice looking bike. It's not like I can shave it's ass and make it walk backwards.
    So what are you using instead?

bike rider
    I realize that if you use a 4" dropper post with 3 settings that it seems sufficient but I definitely prefer a 6" post with infinite positions. I used to own a 3" Joplin and currently own 5" KS 900, Reverb, and Command Posts, and two 6" LEVs. The only one that's acted weird and needed attention was the Joplin. Since all the others haven't had any issues mechanical simplicity doesn't figure into my preference. I do like light weight but take features over that in the selection of this particular component. I think the Command Post is the lightest of my group.

At a leggy 6'2" the 5" drop posts don't fully cover the range I like for trail riding. On my rigid bike I just accept that the seat is still in the way a little and on my DH bike in trail spec (and my trail bikes when they used to have 5" posts) I use a QR to drop it more when needed. The 6" posts do cover my range for trail riding and I only have to further lower the seat for steep BMX style dirt jumps. The 3 position Command Post works adequately but after being used to the infinite stops on my other posts I find myself wishing I could place it in a 1" raised and a halfway raised position. It has a place in my line-up because it has an offset head with infinite tilt so it can be placed backward on my DH bike to steepen the ST angle for trail rides.

Of the various remotes I've used I prefer the Reverb with the KS a close second. They are easy to reach and actuate and the Reverb has a great tactility that allows me to raise or lower the seat small increments or slowly. When you use the remote as often as I do its feel is an important point.

While I don't really care about aesthetics I do appreciate the easier cable routing and avoiding interference afforded by the LEV and Stealth style Reverbs, Command Posts, and LEVs. The GD Turbo kind of pulls that off but the cable leaves the post in an awkward place unless on your setup that happens to be just above the seatposts clamp.

There you have it: My experiences and preferences from 7 years of owning most of the dropper posts. Have I been lucky to not experience a problem with multiple Reverbs and KSs? Maybe, but I also NEVER lift the bike by a lowered seat and don't ride excessively in mud.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey View Post
    I appreciate the comment, and that does make me hate these posts less.

But still, the fact that the post comes with this in the box is not instilling a lot of faith in reliability. It is basically like they are saying "This post is going to fail you, here is this thing to turn it into a regular seat post when this happens."

It gives me a slight LOL.
    Actually, SRAM originally included that collar for limiting how far the post would drop. I don't know why, but that was the original intent. Many Reverb owners just took it the extra step and turned it into the 'save you in case of' part.

I still understand your point. It would be preferred if these posts were a bit more reliable. However, the original question at hand was that the Reverb would leave you high and dry if a seal blew out on the trail. Technically speaking, that isn't 100% true. You can get out of the woods using this part.

I've treated the Reverb like a suspension component. It just needs regular maintenance. I'm good with that. If I rebuild my Reverb every 3-4 months, I don't end up in a world of hurt in the woods. I buy all the o-rings online after I measured them so they are super cheap. I just prefer the hydraulic posts to the ones where you have set drop points. I don't like having to click in the post at a certain point. If I miss the click in spot, the saddle is coming right back up and usually with some bad consequences. Usually, I just need to drop my post a few inches to get it out of the way. That may be 3.5 inches, or 3.7 or 3.1. It doesn't matter; just as long as it is far enough. What I do know is that when I let go of the button the post will stop. I don't have to worry about it flying back up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    My reverb didn't come with one of those collars, but I want one!
    Smilinsteve, here is the part I am talking about:
    Amazon.com : RockShox Reverb Enduro Height Seatpost Collar - Silver : Bike Seat Clamps : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    So what are you using instead?
    Thomson Masterpiece. That's why I'm here. Im trying to decide which unreliable and/or featureless dropper to put on my bike. I do know that I want infinite adjustability. I'll probably go with a Thomson.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    150mm infinite position drop is the way to go. It just changes your riding that much more. So intuitive out on the trail. Finding that middle position on the preset posts (command and gravity dropper) was always such a pain in the arse. I will never go back.

mtbr member

Re: What's with dropper posts?

The GD post is ugly. But it will be going on my bike. The thing works! Who cares what it looks like!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast