Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xlash View Post
    Having got a taste of dropper posts, I don't want to ride without it; I can definitely see the benefit of having one. But they are so ridiculously expensive. Now that would be fine except that they are unreliable and costly to keep on the trails. So if I am looking for one that's reliable, requires infrequent maintenance and comes with a remote, which one should I get? I have a feeling pneumatic ones won't make the cut. Please advise.
    Gravity Dropper.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

bike rider
    I suspect most people who've had problems with their dropper have lifted the bike by a lowered post. Don't do it. Ever. Even if your model says it's okay.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    so the Gravity looks like it has a piece where the cable connects to the post that might prevent how low the post can go into the seat tube. Any issues with this? im currently using less than 6" of seatpost at full extension (save the jokes)
    They have bunch of different sizes, give them a call. The have some of the best customer service out there and will make sure you get the right one.

mtbr member

Re: What's with dropper posts?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Gravity Dropper.
    That thing is $325 lol and ugly!

Well its ugly but it sure looks like it works good!

Btw it's $280 on pricepoint for the turbo lp

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I suspect most people who've had problems with their dropper have lifted the bike by a lowered post. Don't do it. Ever. Even if your model says it's okay.
    Haha yes. Did that the first day I got the Reverb - a bunch of times, I always lifted by my fixed seat post. Seat got stuck and learned to bleed the lines the next day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a Reverb for my second year and I love it.

I had some issue with it and it was easy to fix... air coming in, it's not good with an hydraulic setup: no pressure, so slow to come up when the oil is thicker.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Has anyone tried the Vecnum Moveloc? Is it even available in the USA yet?

Revealed: Vecnum Moveloc dropper post with up to 200mm of travel | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Add me to the list of pretty happy Reverb owners. I have been running with one for three years now (circa 2011) and the only complaint I have is that when temps get around 35 degrees F or lower the post becomes slow to unresponsive when rising back up. In temps around 25 F don't even bother using it.

Other than that I have had to bleed the lines once and replace the oil once. All this for roughly 1,500 US miles of riding.

Oh, and I now run the remote under my handle bar instead of over (so that the push button is under the handle bar). This because during one particularly hard crash the push button up over the top of the bar was the first bike part that took the brunt of the crash and broke. My fault, not RockShox.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Don't get Giant Contact Switch if you were to ride in wet/semi wet condition. the internal damper is fully machine sealed and it's not serviceable.

The dust wiper is bad, mud and crap got into the shaft easily even a few rides after serviced. The seat angle doesn't hold well. hit it too hard it will slip. common issues for Giant dropper.

Heard they made it better for the latest model, black stanchion ones.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just to answer his original question as to why they are so expensive: They are intended for use on MTBs and therefor cost twice as much as they should. Same for all things that can be fitted onto a bike (beside a shopping basket that is).

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I gotta start selling these things.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Putting it in perspective, for all the technology you get in a dropper, the price isn't too terrible, considering a non-dropper seat post can cost over 100 bucks, and all that is, is a piece of tubing with a clamp on top. If it was sold in the plumbing supply section of Home Depot, they would cost about 6 bucks!

mtbr member
    May 2014

Also happy with my Spec Command Post Blacklite, only BIG flaw is seat tilting.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_mtn View Post
    I've had a Spec Command Post Blacklite 125mm for over 2 years on a Niner Jet 9. I like it a lot and it would be hard to live without. Bought it at a Spec dealer on-sale for $220. I average about 40 miles/wk most of the year, sometimes much more. Mechanical system and reliable - had it in after 1.5 years for one quick service when it seemed a little slow on the uptake and the dealer charged me $10 to take it apart and clean it up (very dusty trails where I ride), works like new since. They may have put a new seal in also, I can't remember but since it was only $10 maybe not. That's been it on service. I do try to quickly wipe off the dust after I ride and occasionally add a tiny drop of chain lube at the bottom of the post. I did a bunch of research before I bought it with the same requirements that you listed. Although I've never had an infinite adjustment dropper post I like the presets as you know exactly where the seat is which can be helpful in technical terrain. Also at the time I bought it was one of the lightest posts available. Good luck with your search.

I'm also happy with my Spec CP Blacklite performance ....would be perfect if it wasn't for seat tilting. I have tried overtorquing the holding screw (using a second one now... broke the original) and used carbon fiber paste on the red cone parts that hold the seat, but it still tilts sometimes; especially while seating more to the front on climbs and/or a little backwards... very annoying.
    How have you solved that? ....any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by avigilg View Post
    I'm also happy with my Spec CP Blacklite performance ....would be perfect if it wasn't for seat tilting. I have tried overtorquing the holding screw (using a second one now... broke the original) and used carbon fiber paste on the red cone parts that hold the seat, but it still tilts sometimes; especially while seating more to the front on climbs and/or a little backwards... very annoying.
    Carbon paste has been working for over a year for me.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What brand? (I use Finish Line)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have not noticed a seat tilting issue on my Spec CPB (yet!) and I put a considerable amount of pressure on the nose of my saddle during steep climbs. Yours may be defective, can your dealer help?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_mtn View Post
    I have not noticed a seat tilting issue on my Spec CPB (yet!) and I put a considerable amount of pressure on the nose of my saddle during steep climbs. Yours may be defective, can your dealer help?

Actually dealer broke original screw, replaced it with a steel one to be able to tighten it more. ....Wonder why Spec's designers didn't at least put some dents on the round holding parts.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xlash View Post
    Having got a taste of dropper posts, I don't want to ride without it; I can definitely see the benefit of having one. But they are so ridiculously expensive. Now that would be fine except that they are unreliable and costly to keep on the trails. So if I am looking for one that's reliable, requires infrequent maintenance and comes with a remote, which one should I get? I have a feeling pneumatic ones won't make the cut. Please advise.
    Gravity Dropper Classic is one of the lightest, one of the less expensive, and NO post out there has a longer track record of reliability. None are even close. Mine is into it's 8th year. It has outlasted most other parts on my bike, and is very low maintenance. And it always works. The fact that people are considering one year with no issues to be something impressive just goes to show how low the bar is for most posts.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What brand? (I use Finish Line)
    No idea, LBS gave it to me free when I asked. It was red and very gritty.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Gravity Dropper all the way.
    If the climb doesn't kill ya, it only makes you stronger! :

mtbr member
    I don't understand why anybody would spend that much money on a dropper post and get one with travel of less than 100mm. I find that 125mm is the minimum I will go. When going downhill on a purebred cross country bike (I have an Epic Comp), that lowered center of gravity is the only thing I can adjust on the fly to give me more stability.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Gravity dropper may be cheaper than some and simple, and easy to repair, but it is still very expensive. The TMARS is a bargain priced alternative that I have had zero problems with. It is basically a knockoff of the gravity dropper, except that it uses a spring instead of a magnet for the pin engagement. I have probably 40 rides on it on my fatbike with no problems except for an occasional twist of the inline barrel adjuster, which can be done with no tools without stepping off the bike.

My experience is a small sample size obviously, but it certainly seems like an alternative that just works for a minimal investment of 80 bucks. I do have a Lev on my other bike and prefer the function of it - but it is worth 4-5 times as much and if it breaks I can't repair it myself.

There are a bunch of sellers on ebay, but this is the one I used:
    Tmars 2014 New Remote Adjustable Seatpost 27 2x425mm | eBay

If everyone keeps buying $300-$400 seatposts then the industry will keep producing them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The main complaint I have with these posts is not price, but reliability. If it is going to leave me left in the woods in the middle of a 4 hour epic, it is going in the trash.

I trust that Tmars post next to zero.

I cannot stress how great the Gravity Dropper is. I have had personal experience (owned or ridden) the following posts.

1) X-fusion HILO. Got for around $200 a long time ago (1st gen). It was actually pretty great for the price, but ultimately failed after roughly 8-10 months (seals blew). I could fix it at home with a very simple rebuild and new seals, customer service is great, BUT it left me in the woods twice. Retired to the back-up parts bin.

2) Gravity Dropper Turbo. On year two right now. Have greased it one time, and replaced the cable once. I use my old rear derailleur cables cut short and soldered at the tip, so that was free. I have about 100ft of cable housing. Total time/$ invested in 1.5 years = $10 (max) and an hour of time. BY FAR THE BEST OF THE BUNCH.

3) 2 of my buddies have LEVs. Both have been back to KS at least once, and my buddy has started a rather epic repair thread in these forums due to the sheer amount of times his post has failed. He basically always has someones LEV in his shop. They work the best, but they aren't exactly reliable.

4) Reverb. 1 buddy. Back for repairs twice in less than 1 year.

That is all I have experiences with.

My favorite quote about the admittedly hideous gravity dropper (stolen): "the LEV/Reverb/DOSS sure does look good with a return label slapped on it"
    X-prezo Super-D, 26in style.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

What's with dropper posts?

For LEV and other KS droppers along with the Reverb: these posts will not leave you stranded in the woods, you just lose the ability to use the post. The Reverb comes with a silver collar that can prevent post movement. It is also sold separately and also works on the KS posts. If you blow a seal while out on the trail, simply raise the post to max height (or some other height at least a couple of inches above the main collar) then put the rockshox silver collar around the stanchion and butt it up against the main collar. Tighten it down. The post won't move and you can continue with your ride.

The silver collar is small and not heavy so I stuff it in my hydration pack. It takes 2 minutes to do a field fix on one of these posts so you can continue riding. It doesn't fix the fact that a seal has blown, but you won't be left with that "oh crap" feeling wondering how you are going to do the next 5-10 miles with a saddle slammed all the way down.

addicted to chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    I have a giant contact dropper.....only ridden with it for a while so the jury is out with respect to a long term evaluation, bit it is mechanical and it can be routed stealth.......paid $230 Canadian at the lbs.......
    Same here, picked one up from a guy on the local forum last year, new take-off for $125, been great for the past season. Not the lightest but perfect for what I needed.
    Riding.....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast