Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've ridden/owned - and like the OP - wont ride without one anymore:

Older CB Kronolog - worked great for 6 months - than slippage - CB updated under warranty to new specs/post. but had already bought a LEV while it was out. Sold it.

KS LEV - never got working properly - sticky on return and would many times stop 1 inch from top. Liked the smoothness and cable mounting. but for a $400 dropper - should have worked - even after dealer service. Sold w bike.

Giant Contact Switch (on the Anthem 29er)... cant say a bad word about it. Has worked flawless since purchase. Dont ride this bike much anymore - but its there if i need. Some minor saddle movement - but dont notice while actually pedaling.

xfusion hilo remote. Came spec'd w bike. Weight claim is as light as most. has some slight saddle movement - but like the Giant - dont notice while riding. Has worked completely smooth and never an issue. Simply works and works well.

Overall if "value" is a concern - which it should be - I'd say Xfusion due to weight, smoothness and how it works. I believe cost is also lower than many of the others and comparable to the Giant but much lower weight and 5" drop

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a KindShock Lev 150 mm and have used it for almost a season and it has been flawless.

I wanted a cheaper alternative for my fatbike, and it had to be 27.2, so I bought a tmars seatpost off ebay and it worked great all winter- and was only about 80 or 90 bucks.....shipping from Israel was about a month.

I had Joplins in the past, which died. I also have a reverb, and got the lev when the reverb had to go in for service (which took a month).

Hell Track
    [/QUOTE]Overall if "value" is a concern - which it should be - I'd say Xfusion due to weight, smoothness and how it works. I believe cost is also lower than many of the others and comparable to the Giant but much lower weight and 5" drop[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking of purchasing this post. Any recommendation on 125mm vs 100mm travel on an xc bike? I'm not a racer so this bike is set up as my all purpose trail bike. I'm thinking 100mm should suffice

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Overall if "value" is a concern - which it should be - I'd say Xfusion due to weight, smoothness and how it works. I believe cost is also lower than many of the others and comparable to the Giant but much lower weight and 5" drop[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking of purchasing this post. Any recommendation on 125mm vs 100mm travel on an xc bike? I'm not a racer so this bike is set up as my all purpose trail bike. I'm thinking 100mm should suffice[/QUOTE]

I too am in the market for a dropper post, I had debated the travel myself, I've come to the conclusion, more travel the better?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    just get one, you'll love it so much that you'll put up with any brand's reliability BS.

I got one a month ago or so and after one ride was so floored that I bought another for my 2nd bike. Don't want to ride without one.

They are worth all the BS so in that sense the choice isn't all that important. For me, I wanted more reliable/simple, didn't see the need for continuous adjustment just wanted to know where it was each time it was up or down, and didn't care about looks. It made GD an easy choice--they are awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    +1 for Gravity Dropper. Works flawlessly. Simple design.
    If the climb doesn't kill ya, it only makes you stronger! :

mtbr member
    More travel on a drop post is not always better.
    The travel should keep your seat at a comparable to your existing seat height with fixed post.
    Don't get 150mm when 125mm is the correct height.

Also, the insert depth can be an issue on longer travel posts.
    Especially for internal routing posts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    More travel on a drop post is not always better.
    The travel should keep your seat at a comparable to your existing seat height with fixed post.
    Don't get 150mm when 125mm is the correct height.

Also, the insert depth can be an issue on longer travel posts.
    Especially for internal routing posts.
    Yes, to expand on that....

Before I got my dropper I never considered that a seat post could be too long, but remember that you can't sink a dropper down into the seat tube past a certain point, past the collar part.
    So, my dropper is 125, and with it inserted as far down as it can go into the frame, the saddle was still just a touch too high. I fixed it by noticing that some saddles are much lower profile between top and rails, so a got a "thinner" saddle which lowered it just enough to fit me. But I'd be better off with a 100mm drop. People with short legs or riding frames on the tall side will run into this problem.

I don't usually drop it down all the way anyway. A couple of inches makes a big difference in maneuverability and lowering center of gravity, and still keeps the saddle in a position where you can pinch it with your legs for stability and leverage. 100 mm would be enough drop for me.

mtbr member
    I need to trade my 150 for a 125 for my frame needs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have an e-ten which has been largely trouble free. Nothing beyond normal cleaning required after a bit over a year. I thought the 100mm might not be enough and didn't think I cared about infinite adjustment, but still bought it because the price was right.

Fast forward a year, and I've never wanted or needed more than the 4 inch drop, and I love the infinite adjust. I'll often raise or drop it a 1/4" for the perfect height on a techy trail. Like most converts, I can't imagine riding without a dropper.

Hell Track
    good info. After measuring the amount of post above my seat tube, i don't thing anything more that 100mm is going to work. So that's what it will have to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fagro View Post
    +1 for Gravity Dropper. Works flawlessly. Simple design.
    +2, have a GD and a Reverb. Like everything about the GD better except the looks. The cable routing does not work very good with the GD on the bike the Reverb is on. Wish it did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Yes, to expand on that....

Before I got my dropper I never considered that a seat post could be too long, but remember that you can't sink a dropper down into the seat tube past a certain point, past the collar part.
    So, my dropper is 125, and with it inserted as far down as it can go into the frame, the saddle was still just a touch too high. I fixed it by noticing that some saddles are much lower profile between top and rails, so a got a "thinner" saddle which lowered it just enough to fit me. But I'd be better off with a 100mm drop. People with short legs or riding frames on the tall side will run into this problem.

I don't usually drop it down all the way anyway. A couple of inches makes a big difference in maneuverability and lowering center of gravity, and still keeps the saddle in a position where you can pinch it with your legs for stability and leverage. 100 mm would be enough drop for me.
    Same here. I have a 100mm post on a medium Trek Remedy. I only have 1.25 inches of the seatpost under the top cap showing. If I had a 125mm Reverb, I may be in trouble.

And anyhow, I don't slam the post down all the way as then, it's too low, below my knee, when I'm standing on the pedals. I like it above the knee so can put pressure on it with my thighs while turning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've been riding without a dropper for a while now and really thought I would never own one. Now, I am purchasing one. It breaks the flow of my riding when I just shredded down a sweet single track to have it hairpin back up and I have to Stop.................release..............look for lines on post for right ride height...............clamp.......hop back on and start pedaling. Done!! Purchased the new Giant Contact post for my Trance 3 for $ 179.00.............. Sold !!!

Hell Track
    How well do shims work for models with limited sizes? My seat tube is 31.6

mtbr member
    I've had the Kronolog and currently run a LEV. The Kronolog worked perfectly for about a year then developed about 1CM of sag. I decided to "upgrade" to a Lev. My first Lev was broken out of the box - It would pop and inch or so back up after being pushed down. I traded it for a new Lev at the shop. First ride was perfect. Second ride it continually got stuck in the down position. Third ride perfect. Last 10 rides it's been nothing but a headache. Sags when it wants to. Goes down on it's own. Sometimes won't go down. I finally emailed KS and I'm waiting to hear back. For this $$$ they should function much better. I live/ride in SO Cal so there's no mud, cold, wet, etc.. just dry and dusty.

My $.02.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    Almost all them come in a 31.6 size, but if you needed to shim, it should work fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Your LBS will likely have years of experience with maintaining and re-building a particular dropper. Mine uses the Reverb and they have seen every problem and will fix it as quickly as humanly possible - and lots of spare parts kicking around. So I got a Reverb from them and have been very happy thus far.

Something to think about, whether you buy from them or no.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    I boguth 2 GDs at 27.2, despite both bikes being 30.9,and I use shims on each--no problems. I wanted 27.2 so I'd have the option of using the GDs on future frames that could have different size seat tubes. 27.2 with a shim gives you more options down the road.

I also use a slasa lip-lock collar on each bike. Imo, it can be cranked down as much as you need to prevent slippage. I asked GD in advance and they confirmed that cranking the collar down around the post is not a problem at all.

mtbr member

Re: What's with dropper posts?

Almost bought the xfusion hilo last night on pricepoint. But I figured ill wait and see if I can find a good deal on a reverb first. Plus my Thomson elite post is pretty sweet already.......

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have a Reverb Stealth on my Spitfire and just picked up a LEV 27.2 for my hardtail. This isn't my first Reverb, and my last one failed actually, but I like SRAM's customer service and like the action of the Reverb when its working. This new one has been trouble free, though it does sound a bit "dry", like it's a bit short on oil from the factory. The LEV on my hardtail has only seen one ride, but I can say that I do like it so far - very smooth operation. It did get "stuck" about an inch from the top of the stroke a couple of times, but knocked that off further into the ride.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ordered up a reverb last night, 100mm travel as I'm not a very tall guy. This will be my first dropper! Wanted one for awhile just never pulled the trigger until now!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Eh, never even tried one. I rode for many years without a seatpost quick release, seat at full XC height. If you can't get behind the seat on technical sections, your pants are too baggy. If I'm going to be riding rolling technical terrain, I'll just drop the seat and climb standing up.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Eh, never even tried one. I rode for many years without a seatpost quick release, seat at full XC height. If you can't get behind the seat on technical sections, your pants are too baggy. If I'm going to be riding rolling technical terrain, I'll just drop the seat and climb standing up.
    What's with dropper posts?-szrkig.jpg

Hell Track
    so the Gravity looks like it has a piece where the cable connects to the post that might prevent how low the post can go into the seat tube. Any issues with this? im currently using less than 6" of seatpost at full extension (save the jokes)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast