Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What's the deal with Ragley?

6K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  Broccoli 
#1 ·
Honest question, no sarcasm meant. I just keep seeing people freaking out like teenage girls at a Justin Bieber concert about names like Blue Pig and mmmBop, and I have no idea why. They seem about like pretty much every other standard boutique hardtail to me. I realize I may have just blasphemed a bit, but nothing bad meant. Enlighten?

#27 ·
fotu said:
I'm pretty sure they are made by hand in England. That's what the sticker on my Blue Pig says. I thought I read somewhere that Ragley was started by a couple of framebuilders from the Carlton factory after Raleigh was sold off. That is why the first generation Blue Pig chainstays used leftover Super Course downtubes.
Unless they've moved Taichung to some obscure hamlet in the UK, the frames are made in Taiwan. The city is not exactly a secret. Brant refuses to disclose exactly which plumbing supply house is slapping the things together, but does mention that he's impressed by the place.

I wouldn't even be surprised Ragley is Yet-Another-Giant-Assembled-Frame.

#28 ·
fotu said:
I'm pretty sure they are made by hand in England. That's what the sticker on my Blue Pig says. I thought I read somewhere that Ragley was started by a couple of framebuilders from the Carlton factory after Raleigh was sold off. That is why the first generation Blue Pig chainstays used leftover Super Course downtubes.
I don't think they're made in England. They're designed by Shedfire, which is in England and made in Taiwan. That's why Brant just went to Taiwan to check out the factory. Look at the stickers here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47072

#29 ·
rkevans said:
Unless they've moved Taichung to some obscure hamlet in the UK, the frames are made in Taiwan. The city is not exactly a secret. Brant refuses to disclose exactly which plumbing supply house is slapping the things together,...
sneakyt said:
I don't think they're made in England. They're designed by Shedfire, which is in England and made in Taiwan. That's why Brant just went to Taiwan to check out the factory. Look at the stickers here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47072
You guys must be new to the scene, and weren't around for the earlier frames brazed together with NOS Nervex Pro Lugsets. As far as those stickers, I think I know the source of your confusion. See, the English are experts at cryptanalysis...that's CODE breaking. Don't believe me? Read this.

So you see, since WW2, the English have known the Enigma keycodes, and are using them for themselves all the time, even for simple innocuous things like frame decals and TV shows. Haven't you ever wondered why the UK version of The Office is so awful, but the US show is so hilarious? It is because Steve Carell spent a few months in acting school in London before he came back to the US to work at the dailyshow, and he knows the codes!!!. I bet if he rode AM, he would come on here, read the Ragley decals, and tell us that Shedfire really says something like "England!" or something similar

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.