mtbr member
    Oct 2010

whats the best bottom bracket to use

I've got a stumpjumper expert and im looking to replace the bottom bracket to help keep water and grim out of it plus just to up grade it has a sram crank on it also thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hi, not sure if they fit a SRAM chainset, but I have been running Hope bottom brackets, I have a stainless bearing version on my winter bike and a ceramic version on my Yeti for over 3 years and they are both running as smooth as the day I fitted them, I used to go through about 2 sometimes 3 Raceface and Shitmano ones every year, I highly recommend Hope.
    Mark

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    Hi, not sure if they fit a SRAM chainset, but I have been running Hope bottom brackets, I have a stainless bearing version on my winter bike and a ceramic version on my Yeti for over 3 years and they are both running as smooth as the day I fitted them, I used to go through about 2 sometimes 3 Raceface and Shitmano ones every year, I highly recommend Hope.
    Mark
    Hope won't work with Sram. Sram requires GXP. I run hope too and love their bb! Their bearings just spin better than anything I've used and they have an alloy tube between the bearings with rubber o rings that keep anything that gets into the seat tube out of the bearings. Being serviceable is a big plus, but I think cheaper BB's like race face are serviceable now too. With all that praise for hope, you'll have to go with GXP which I think is truvativ only. Maybe someone else makes GXP style too, but I don't think so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Someone told mw that Chris King make a good one and I found one for 125 but if I can spend a little more to get a better one then I dont mind to do so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by giantpedaler View Post
    Someone told mw that Chris King make a good one and I found one for 125 but if I can spend a little more to get a better one then I dont mind to do so.
    They make very good stuff, plus they have a special tool that let's you replace the grease that's inside of it. That alone makes it last many times longer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yeah I'm back and forth on there wheels and some I9's but I think I'm going to get the I9's. Do you have to buy a special adaptor to use the Chris Kings? I've seen some for sale that says you do and some that didn't mention anything about it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Hope won't work with Sram. Sram requires GXP. I run hope too and love their bb! Their bearings just spin better than anything I've used and they have an alloy tube between the bearings with rubber o rings that keep anything that gets into the seat tube out of the bearings. Being serviceable is a big plus, but I think cheaper BB's like race face are serviceable now too. With all that praise for hope, you'll have to go with GXP which I think is truvativ only. Maybe someone else makes GXP style too, but I don't think so.
    FWIW, Hope make a GXP converter, allowing their BB to be used with GXP cranks.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=26899

mtbr member
    The King is solid and has a SRAM version. I just switched to a King from a Saint and it's much smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hangtime; 08-01-2011 at 05:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    So you think that saint makes a better one then Chris king, and can you easily lube the saint bottom bracket

mtbr member
    No, king is better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well it sounds that either Chris king or Hope is the way to go now I've just got to make that decision. Lol