Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

What's A Bashgaurd?

Hey guys,
    Kinda new to this forum. I just got back inot riding and purchased a Specialized Enduro SL Comp. Love the bike! Awesome!
    I have heard of guys putting FSA Bashgaurds on them. What is a bashgaurd?
    Anyone have any pictures of one?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Helps prevent you from bashing your chain rings (i.e. going over logs, rocks, coyotes, etc.). In my case, I replaced my 44T with one. And as Loverboy says, lovin' every minute of it.

mtbr member
    P.S. Here's one installed (pulled from Google image search):

H.E.R
    Mar 2007
    Only picture I have on my computer rigth now. you can barely see it in my picture but it is were the pedals are the black ring that is it

mtbr member
    i order'd the sleeker, lighter RaceFace one from my lbs. My 2nd ring is 32t so i got a 34t one. Nest stop will probably be a chain guide (thats what those things attached to the crank are right?) hah i'm a noob.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey,
    You guys are great! Thanks alot for the photos! DAM YOU GUYS ARE GOING OVER STUFF THAT TALL? SHEESH!
    I got alot of practicing to do though! Well, I am averaging 15 mph though according to my Cat Eye wireless computer! I am getting back in shape!
    I have about 70 miles on my rig so far and she's performing flawlessly! I think htis is the forum for me!! Everyone is great!
    I would take a AM bike ANYDAY over a cross country! I think the AM bikes are only going to get lighter and better as time goes on. Seems to me they are evolving nicely!
    Have you guys Checked out the new 08 Specialized Enduro on cyclingnews.com?
    Pretty sweet!
    Thanks

fux
    Scooterist

bashring

My local ride is pretty stoney, so I after killing a couple of chainrings I fitted a bashguard and tensioner. I thought I would miss the big ring but thats only needed on tarmac and ive even dopped my granny ring and I dont miss them in the trials.

I wish there was something similar for the rear disk too. I still kill those. Maybe I should get off and walk round this area. This is where I killed it last weekend..

Gotta love the views round here though and the trail leads out of my back garden.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fux
    My local ride is pretty stoney, so I after killing a couple of chainrings I fitted a bashguard and tensioner. I thought I would miss the big ring but thats only needed on tarmac and ive even dopped my granny ring and I dont miss them in the trials.

I wish there was something similar for the rear disk too. I still kill those. Maybe I should get off and walk round this area. This is where I killed it last weekend..

Gotta love the views round here though and the trail leads out of my back garden.

dude nice slayer
    GETOFFTHEBRAKESYAFAIRY

s62
    mtbr member
    Wait... if you use a bashguard, you have to get rid of gears 19-27? (the highest gears?) Really? Is it worth changing your bike from a 27 speed to an 18? Yikes...

Interlectchewal

Yes and no.

Quote Originally Posted by s62
    Wait... if you use a bashguard, you have to get rid of gears 19-27? (the highest gears?) Really? Is it worth changing your bike from a 27 speed to an 18? Yikes...
    You would be getting rid of the three highest gears. The other six fall somewhere within the range of the remaining eighteen.

long standing member
    This is a bashguard.

And this is the terrain it's made for.

fuggansonofahowa
    My outer ring IS my bash-guard.....and it still works on my old bike after 10 years (minus a dozen teeth or so). I like to call it my "sacrificial" ring.

My thought is, if you're going to dump your outer ring anyway....why not use it for bashing?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawseman
    My outer ring IS my bash-guard.....and it still works on my old bike after 10 years (minus a dozen teeth or so). I like to call it my "sacrificial" ring.

My thought is, if you're going to dump your outer ring anyway....why not use it for bashing?
    yeah thats great til you bend it bad enough you cant get your chain on your middle ring.

heres a pic of mine on my 05 hardrock. haven't transfered it over to my new bike yet.

fuggansonofahowa
    Quote Originally Posted by BHertz
    yeah thats great til you bend it bad enough you cant get your chain on your middle ring.

heres a pic of mine on my 05 hardrock. haven't transfered it over to my new bike yet.

hmmm...good point. Maybe it's time I get me-self one, before I'm stuck grannying downhills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashdude
    Only picture I have on my computer rigth now. you can barely see it in my picture but it is were the pedals are the black ring that is it
    now THAT is a good looking bike. or maybe im just partial.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Im with you on that one. Mine works as a bash guard that I pedal on ocasionally. Its worked for the last 8 years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wylyman
    Im with you on that one. Mine works as a bash guard that I pedal on ocasionally. Its worked for the last 8 years.
    One caveat is that your big ring has teeth that can dig into a log and hang up the bike. Bash guards, on the other hand, are smooth and will slide right over. Bash guards are also smaller in diameter than the big ring and will give you additional clearance. Just food for thought.

Duc

mtbr member
    Because it may have your chain on it as you're pedaling?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    Because it may have your chain on it as you're pedaling?
    How often are you pedaling the big ring and bashing into things?

mtbr member
    Bashing quite often; I ride trails with lots o large rocks.

Use the big ring never which is why I tossed it for a useful piece of metal that protects my useful innards. I don't think a flimsy 44T does much protection if that's what you think you're using it for.

fuggansonofahowa
    Large rocks, fallen trees, baled comrades....it's nice to have some traction when going up and over them. I don't know how well I'd handle those obstacles without the 3rd wheel push of my seasoned outer ring.

Me hates pinchflat
    i have a bashguard and I rarely ever use it (I ride a hardtail). I usually bash my pedals, crank, or foot before
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    this is the one I use; mines a bit more mangled looking, though.

fuggansonofahowa
    Quote Originally Posted by jcarney
    this is the one I use; mines a bit more mangled looking, though.

jc,

Post up some info on this beast (manufacturer, distro, etc.). Looks like a "pedallers" bashguard....the third wheel of sorts.

Thanks

Flying Goat
    a pic of my FSA bash guard... they're the cheapest among others (e13,blackspire,etc)...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast