Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

What's the Average Weight of Modern Mountain Bikes?

Quick question, what's a nice average weight for a mountain bike these days? I don't know if it's because I'm a noob or what, but I'm getting my ass handed to me on some local trails, and it's either one of two things, I'm not pedaling hard enough or these guys have lighter bikes. My bike weighs in at 26 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    AM bikes usually seem to be ~30lb, DH bikes ~40lb, and I'm not sure about XC bikes. Your bike weight probably isn't the issue, you just need to ride more, though tires might be a factor...

mtbr member
    It's rider weight, not bike weight

mtbr member
    26lb is very light.

Rider weight counts SO much more than people realize. the 220lb guys trying to shave grams off a 25lb bike have no chance against a strong 150lb rider on a 32lb bike. Everyone likes a light bike, but fitness and body weight are enormous advantages, drastically more than a couple pounds of bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I agree with the above posts. Rider weight is so much more important, as is a riders strength. I rode with buddies the other day on their ~22lb, carbon 29er xc bikes with me on my AM 30lb beast and was the fastest out of all of us. It wasn't that my bike was the lightest, it was that I've been riding forever and they haven't.
    When I used to race on the road and was new to it, even though I LOOKED fitter and stronger, I'd get my butt handed to me by "fat" looking guys that had been riding forever. I learned very quickly that it's all about the rider and not the machine. Little factors (like the above poster said) like tires can make a difference, but the determining factor in whether or not you keep up comes down to the engine and what kind of skills it has.

gone walk about
    motor needs a tune-up

to answer 26-28lbs is the norm

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's because you call yourself a noob. Change your title to expert and you will automatically go faster.

And +1 to what others have said.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member
    yeah, over the past year I've gone from 174 lbs down to 150, and my bike has gone from 27 to now coil suspension and 31lbs... I'm way faster now than I was a year ago!
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't think I ever considered weight being an issue because I'm 150 lbs. I probably need to bulk up a little more and practice. Thanks for the replies!

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by w201 View Post
    Quick question, what's a nice average weight for a mountain bike these days? I don't know if it's because I'm a noob or what, but I'm getting my ass handed to me on some local trails, and it's either one of two things, I'm not pedaling hard enough or these guys have lighter bikes. My bike weighs in at 26 lbs.
    dh bikes around 40. xc around 20. so 30 is the average.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

gone walk about
    I don't think I ever considered weight being an issue because I'm 150 lbs. I probably need to bulk up a little more and practice. Thanks for the replies!
    150 is certainly not heavy (unless your 4') which leaves you with seat time and working just a bit more to keep pace. All of this stuff depends on ones frame of mind and any goals you may have of either competing or just being a recreational enthusiast enjoying the scenery.

mtbr member
    How new are you? It does take a while to build up the leg strength and endurance to bike fast. Its a different set of muscles than anything else you typically use.

Administrator Administrator
    Technique can also be a killer to even the most fit cyclist. I regularly ride with triatheletes, the Ironman variety. When the trail is fast and straight they can kill me but i just let them go because as soon as it get twisty and turny and technical I catch right back up. At the end of the ride they are completely shelled and I, being in much less shape then them, am too but they shouldn't be. It is only because they are working so hard to make it through things that I just fly through.

Practice your cornering, if you are braking turning then accelerating through the corners, that is inefficient and you are wasting energy. Practice pumping through the rollers, using gravity to accelerate you down the hills and then attack over the top of the next hill.

If you are getting killed by guys you regularly ride with, watch what they are doing in the technical sections, emulate them and frankly nothing makes you faster than riding with people that are faster than you.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yep deffo rider weight , i'm currently around 210 due to working away from home followed by a nasty ankle injury ,my fit weight is around 175-180, i'm basicly running 2 gears lower for a given climb for the same effort.

on the other hand a guy i used to ride with who was in his late 40's and had to weigh 270+ was an absolute monster on the climbs and embaraced many 120 lb racing snakes.

but as is mentioned above the dude was a competative time trialer in his younger days and has ridden bikes his whole life .

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    How new are you? It does take a while to build up the leg strength and endurance to bike fast. Its a different set of muscles than anything else you typically use.
    I would say I'm fairly new. Ive been riding BMX style bikes all my life but got my first non department store mountain bike last month.

I made damn sure the bike fit me perfectly before I settled on it but I've been noticing that I have some shoulder pain after each ride. Could that be from overly reaching for the handlebars. The previous owner had put an extra long stem onit, which looks sweet, but yea. I also have the shorter stock stem.

gone walk about
    I made damn sure the bike fit me perfectly before I settled on it but I've been noticing that I have some shoulder pain after each ride. Could that be from overly reaching for the handlebars. The previous owner had put an extra long stem on it, which looks sweet, but yea. I also have the shorter stock stem.
    Having it user friendly is paramount to the enjoyment so either try the shorter stem or haul it to a LBS and get assistance with fitment otherwise your experience will suck every time out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Having it user friendly is paramount to the enjoyment so either try the shorter stem or haul it to a LBS and get assistance with fitment otherwise your experience will suck every time out.
    +1
    A fitment is a very good idea.

mtbr member
    the good thing about being big and fat is that we go down faster.

no matter what there will always be somebody faster, don't worry about it just try hard and have fun. that what being on the trail is all about, having fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    where you get this numbers from?? the lightness AM bike i ever saw was the giant reign x 14.2kg(31.2lb) and scott genius lt 14.1kg(31lb), all other was 15-17kg..(33-38lb)

mtbr member
    tire width and weight is what i feel the most, any bike 30ish lbs and under is fun to ride for xc/am.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eyco View Post
    where you get this numbers from?? the lightness AM bike i ever saw was the giant reign x 14.2kg(31.2lb) and scott genius lt 14.1kg(31lb), all other was 15-17kg..(33-38lb)
    wife has a 2011 reign 0, small mens frame and it weighs in at 29.something lbs.

not to one up you, but i think +/- 30lbs is a good answer.. 29-33lbs is about what you going to get for 3-5k worth of bike.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    LARGE spectrum of bike weights. Totally depends on yer trail application. XC weight weenie racer types will have carbon hardtails come closer to 20-25 lbs. Trail and AM bikes are usually 25-35 lbs (25 is very light still). Anything past 35 pounder is either downhill or just a crappy Walmart bike. If I had to bet, I would bet the average bike I see on my trails in Wyo/Colorado weigh in around 30 lbs.
    Keep in mind the really light bikes are designed for super-tame trails or dirt road riding. I know on the trails I ride on, some extra weight is beneficial as that weight makes up things like a strong-frame and stout suspension. Even Carbon fiber bikes in the AM category are not that light, and usually weigh only 1 lb less than alloy bikes in the same category.

Helmetless Crasher
    A 26 lb bike is relatively light for a trail bike.

XC bikes are 18-23lb

A lot of things factor into MTB speed. Bike weight is only an important factor when everything else is equal: ie, at the elite levels of the sport where everybody has 3% body fat and lungs the size of Texas. Then, a pound or 2 of bike weight makes a difference over the course of a 30 mile XC race.

Just concentrate on getting fitter/stronger. Your equipment is not holding you back.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    My enduro is beefed up to about 32 pounds and I out pedal the large majority of people on the trail. I credit 80% of this to my fitness an rider skill and 20% to the bike. I rode 32 pound, 32x18 singlespeed for about a year and going back to a geared, FS bike was like heaven. 26lbs is crazy light compared to the bikes I'm used to riding.

mtbr member
    My allow Stumpy 29er weighs about 30.5 with dropper post. Gonna try to get it down to 28lb, which should be pretty light for a 5 inch travel 29er.

mtbr member
    ...but a 20 lb XC bike is still pretty uncommon...unless it's missing a rear wheel...

Inspector Gadget
    I started riding about 9 months ago. I feel like I'm finally getting some real strength. When I ride with others who have ridden for years; I can keep up for a little while, but then I fall off pace. It's getting better each time though. Just keep riding and pushing yourself. Hell I've dropped the entire weight of my bike off my body and that was for free! If I was worried about racing then I can see worrying about the most efficient bike. If you don't use a cycling tracking program, get one. I've seen tons of improvement since I started, It's something tangible that I can see.
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    I started riding when I was 23, took me until I was 29 to clear to certain rock gardens. Took me 5 seasons to be able to clear certain epic hills. Enjoy it now cause father time will get us all one day!

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    I started riding when I was 23, took me until I was 29 to clear to certain rock gardens. Took me 5 seasons to be able to clear certain epic hills. Enjoy it now cause father time will get us all one day!
    already got me but just keep making perfect circles.

I'm with stupid
    I would say around 30ish give or take. I have 5 bikes and they all fall between 25-33lbs minus the DH bike that is 39 but that is a whole other beast. But for average "trail/am" bike I would say 30 +/- 2lbs.

As far as the shoulder pain, you will have aches and pains when you first start off and when you are riding farther and longer. That said if the fit feels/ looks right then its just your body adapting to something new. If you wear a hydration pack make sure it sits right on you and the straps are even and not pulling all the weight on one side or hanging too low to cause unwanted stress.

Dont worry about being the fastest out of your group, just make sure you are faster then the old you 6 months ago. It takes a while to build up the muscle memory and fitness of riding. Spend more time on technical things like corning and bike handling then just flat out becoming a lung. pumping terrain and speed in corners and handling skills with less braking and sprinting to gain speed makes up a ton on being in the elite level of fitness. Smooth is fast learn to be smooth with flow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My baby sits at 31lbs. She weighs in pretty hefty I don't care, I'm 147lbs. If I'm not riding strongly It's just because I'm either out of shape or going through a hangover. It's never the bike's fault, the poor thing.

mtbr member
    There have been times in the past where I got frustrated that I wasn't the fastest when riding in a group. Some dudes who are fast like to be ***** to slower riders. Truth is, there is always someone faster than you. Even if you are the fastest rider in the world, you won't be for long.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    This is like asking what an average vehicle weight is. It's not very meaningful. 30 lb is a tank for an XC racing hardtail, but super light for a DH/FR bike.

However, your issue with getting dropped is not the weight of your bike.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    This is like asking what an average vehicle weight is. It's not very meaningful. 30 lb is a tank for an XC racing hardtail, but super light for a DH/FR bike.

However, your issue with getting dropped is not the weight of your bike.
    It's a legitimate question since he's a newb. 26 lbs is pretty dang light no matter how you cut it...if he were racing pro XC it might be on the heavy end but the average bike on single track is probably around 30 lbs.
    If you're getting smoked, it's probably because they are in better shape than you. It's not uncommon to see a dude with a beer belly who looks out of place on the trail actually end up being a beast on his bike. He probably has been building leg and lung strength (along with his beer belly) for years.
    Only way to get faster is to keep at it!

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    like the others have stated. 30 lbs is about right for a strong trail bike or a light AM bike.

That being said, just like the others have been saying, its the engine that counts. I'm on the large side of clyde riders being 6'5" tall and about 255 lbs (right now) and I can tell you that rider weight and skill is a HUGE factor on how fast you are. if your bike is atleast decent the bike is not holding you back. Every climb I suffer because of my weight, but because I am heavy I have learn to ride very smoothly and have been told that I have impeccable line choice. I attest this to that I'm sick if breaking stuff and that it is the only way that I can keep up with my friends over longer rides. I have to make up the time on the downhill.

That being said! (I know again) When I am in shape (about 230 lbs) I have a much easier time up all the hills and my a much more capable rider. this is for TWO reasons. the first being that I'm in shape and i can just go harder becasue I have the strenght and endurance to do so. the second is that I'm 15% lighter which means that I am putting 15% less strain on all the bike parts (tire namely). this means that I can corner harder because I have more traction avaliable to me.

Someone else said that is 80% the rider and 20% the bike. I feel that they are giving the bike tooooo much credit (assuming you atleast have a decent bike). I honestly feel that its more like 90% the rider and 10% the bike. meaning that if you had the top bike in the world for you it would only give you 10% more than your current bike.

just remember that the top level bike in the cycling world are comparable to the best racing vechicles. A top end TT bike is comparable to a F1 car, a road bike to a 24hr La Mond car, and a AM/Trail bike to a Baha 1000 Class1 truck. We are very fortunate to be able to actually own this top leve equipment that is the same as what the pros ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    25-30lbs is good. My bike is at 26.5 lbs. Body weight, riding, and conditioning, all play a factor in keeping up with others. Experience (pedaling, shifting) will come with time and practice. I switched to spd pedals a year ago and have found I like them much better than platform pedals.They can help you pedal more effeciently. I also switched out my aggressive tires for lighter weight xc tires and gone tubeless. The weight savings and reduced rotational weight have made for a more comfortable ride, better braking, accelerating, overall nimbleness of my bike where I ride longer with less fatigue. I lost 23 pounds in 4 months riding 5 times a week. If I don't make it up the hills, its not my bikes fault.

mtbr member
    My geared carbon 29er weighs 19.5. My titanium singlespeed weighs 18.5. Neither bike has any suspension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spastook View Post
    My geared carbon 29er weighs 19.5. My titanium singlespeed weighs 18.5. Neither bike has any suspension.
    Pics or they don't exist!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I may be able to get my geared bike down to 25lbs. To go lighter than that would require a lot more than a couple hundred $$. I picked up a set of easton ec90 bars ($58.00--ebay) and lightweight sram grips---saving about 120 grams from what I am currently using. I can also remove 1) 20mm spacer from the headset and cut the steerer tube down 20mm, might save??? Q/R skewers are steel, waiting for a good deal on titanium skewers. Will need new tires soon, and will probably change out the brass nipples for alloy nips at that time, will save about 200 grams per wheel?? Reducing rotational weight (tire, tube, rim) is more effective than reducing weight somewhere else on the bike. 450 grams= 1 lb. I think I can shave off 1--1.5 lbs without a lot of expense with the exception of tires / $75.00 each is not exactly cheap.

mtbr member
    What Every Part of A Mountain Bike Weighs: A Complete Autopsy | News | mountain-bike-action

neat little project they did about bike weight, but physical number mean little but the percentages are more likely to be a fair estimation.

But you can really see where the majority of weight adds up, and where its affective to shed some major grams.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just got a Santa Cruz TB LTc with factory XT build out. Came in at 27.1 without pedals. Probably get it to just under 26 with new wheels I'm getting for it. I consider this to be very light for 5" of travel.

Still working on my motors condition on the trainer!

mtbr member
    I think under 30 lbs for a full suspension bike is pretty good. Just looking at the reviews in Mountain Bike Action most AM bikes are above 30 lbs. Even some of the pricier ones. I wish I could shell out for a light race bike but I need one bike to do a bit of everything. That is why I am a Stumpjumper fan!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My XC-Fully is 20 lbs: Scott Spark,
    my new 650b AM is 28 lbs with 160mm travel: CUBE STEREO SHPC,
    and my FR bike is 35 lbs with 180mm/ 200mm travel: Liteville 901,

and I love them all

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Most of my bikes are in the 25 pound range.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's the rider, not the bike

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=bob13bob;10015886]It's the rider, not the bike

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's[/QUOT

This is a mountain biking forum and a bike weight thread. We are talking about bikes not riders.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    more important than the weight of the bike, is where is that weight located.

if its in the wheels / tires , then you are in for a tough time

if its in the frame, not a big deal.

formerly uncle mama
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Spastook View Post
    Dude, you're in the wrong thread. AM bikes don't weigh under 20 lbs; if they did they would break in half.
    My Intense 5.5 is around 28 lbs, which I think is pretty good for an aluminum frame.
    I bet your bikes climb way better than my pig

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just weighed my '07 Cdale F3.(first mtb! just got it!) Just a hair over 26lbs. About 5 ounces less than the catalog listed weight due to a few upgrades. I myself am fat(187) and slow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I laugh when i pass a guy on an expensive bike while i smoke by on my 32lb walmart bike hahahaha. All that money for nothin. Jk. Im jost trolling. Gotcha. Lol. But in all seriousness. A seriously fit rider on a walmart bike would smoke 95% of all riders on expensive bikes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast