Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

What was your biggest accident?

I'm just wondering what some of your nastier wipe outs have been, it can be in terms of either personal or bike damage, which ever is your most interesting story. Me and my bike aren't usually in the AM arena, but a recent accident has made me more interested and now I want to hear about the shenanigans the folks who do it regularly get into.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and start this off with my story:

A month ago I got back into biking, bought a Jamis Dragon Sport just as a starter bike until I graduate college. I had been to the local trails a few times so I was finally happy with my level of control over my bike. A couple days ago a friend, Joe, and I were nearing the end of our trail ride and we hit a little bump that was kind of fun, I had the great idea to end this trip on a high note and this place had plenty of grass with limited trees so I knew if I were to crash this would be the place. Joe stops and gets out of the way to watch while I turn around to get a little more speed this time around.. Turns out I had no clue how possible massive air was off this jump. Joe said the bottom of my wheels were noticeably above his head, he is over 6' so my bike was probably ~7'. Turns out that is much higher than a month old rider should be. Joe said I had good form, but I don't know if I believe him. I bent my rear wheel on the landing and went over the handlebars, sliding almost 10 feet past my bike. Luckily the grass landing zone I picked worked perfectly, aside from getting a few cuts/bruises and being sore the next day I was fine.

Got a new rim today and am planning on going out again. I'm thinking today I may try landing something along the lines of a 3'-4' jump, now that I have slightly better understanding of how ramps work. I really can't wait until I can afford a bike that is capable of handling massive air, the feeling of flying through the air on a bike may be the most exciting thing I can remember experiencing in life.

T.W.O
    When I was new to the sport me and my coworker went out to our local trail. He had been riding bmx and mtn bikes his whole life and does a fair amount of downhill, he told me to keep up with him.

We were flyin' and we hit this mean curve that lead straight into a 3' drop followed by 3 flowy bumps. I came in hard and didn't know about the drop or the bumps, I actually landed the drop and started on the bumps. The trail was realllll narrow and I got a little bumped off.

Next thing I know I clipped a little tree with my handlebars going at least 20 mph, probably more. Needless to say I went OTB and my entire arm was mangled. I now have a scar on my elbow that will never heal.

I actually am glad it happened, because before that crash I was scared to fall. I held myself back on many things, because I thought my bike couldn't take it and I would just fall off. I hurt myself pretty good and figured it couldn't be much worse then that after a crash, especially that those speeds. Now I am pretty fearless pushing the speeds into the corners, etc.

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Four weeks ago I renewed my OTB license and broke my left scapula (shoulder blade). This happend racing BMX not MTB. Have a new KHS XCT555 waiting for me at the LBS. It will be sitting a little longer than planned now. Should be able to start riding again in four to five weeks.

Crash Test Dummy
    Worst I've had is having to get 26 stitches to repair my left eyelid. I was riding one of the local trails with a friend and we were going at a pretty good clip. I was following him and when he ran over a rock it kicked it up right at me and I instinctively swerved to avoid it, but unfortunately when I swerved I clipped a tree and lost control of the bike. I landed in bunch of shrubs and in the crash I caught a branch that almost tore off my eyelid. I was really lucky because the branch could have easily punctured my eyeball. When it happened I actually thought my eye was gone because I couldn't see out of it and when I went to touch it I just felt flesh hanging out of my eye (which was my eyelid) and a lot of blood. Luckily I escaped with only a scratch to my cornea and the doctor was able to repair my eyelid. I still have a permanent scar on my left eye that is really apparent when I close my eyes.

usually cranky
    really havent had too many bad bike crashes. couple broken fingers and bloodied shins regulary. probably my biggest accident was two months ago, hit a tree skiing and broke my back.

mtbr member
    on the road. 30mph slight down hill clip on a gentle wide right hander. black lab jumped out of a ditch and slid right under the downtube. advantage dog. OTB severe collar bone break, should've poked thru but didn't. Left shoulder blade and all muscle and tendons on that shoulder severely bruised. Eyewitnesses said i hit the floor and tumbled 3x and was narrowly missed by an oncoming car but i don't remember. haha.oh yeah..my wife asked me not to ride that morning. sorry, technically not on a trail but it was bad. (no animals were hurt during this yard sale)
    always face the herd

mtbr member
    I got a little ambitious with a double. Came up well short, fired over the bars at considerable speed, face dive!

Then I got up and insisted I was okay whilst stumbling around drunkenly then collapsing in a heap, still insisting that I was fine. Then some nice men in an ambulance came along and that was that.

Amazingly, didn't break my neck or (re)fracture my skull. Needed a new helmet though...

Crunch!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Mine would be when I was at home with my brother and brother in law making a dirt jump in the forest. Went back to get the quad and trailer to move dirt faster and I took my bike over to mess around on, but when I was riding over I don't know why I done it but I rode off the end of a drop and went OTB and fell onto the packed dirt road on my temple region. Yeah I wasn't wearing a helmet, stupid me, because I had the sense of "I'm so close to home I don't need it for this small stuff"... Yeah right!
    I don't really remember anything that day except waking up in the hospital and staying the night with a concussion (I didn't get knocked out but I was unconscious repeating myself over and over).

It's been like 3 months now since the accident and I still have a few symptoms left from the concussion (which I'm hoping a couple more months will be gone). It probably didn't help that I got dumped on the top of my head going OTB on a mountain bike trail 3 days before that.

I would've way prefered break both my arms or something instead of this concussion... I just didn't feel the same for a couple of months

At least I got a massive lesson to wear my helmet AT ALL TIMES no matter how big or small the thing is.
    Anyways I ended up selling that frame (merida 150 2008) and got a new one (GT Sanction 1.0 2010) Now I've got a steeper head angle so that will stop going OTB so often. Oh and a Giro remedy full face

Blue Pig
    8 or 9 years ago. Smashed my left knee on an overlapping concrete slap. Bared the pain for 7 years, literally felt like 80 years old. **** was horrible.All this because money doesn't grow on trees.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Funny I am reading this now. Went snowboarding today at Stratton VT and on the 3rd run caught some ice on my heel edge and slid out. Didnt think it was a big deal til I couldnt get up. Felt like a knife in my hip and ass cheek. Finally rode down feeling ok but went to the infirmary for advil. They wouldnt give me any without checking me out first. OK, no big deal. Iced the hip a bit, took BP laying down,sitting and then again standing(even though I told them I felt fine except for a sore hip) lastly they said to pee in a cup. Sure,why not I'm thinking. Well, I had blood in my urine, they figured I bruised a kidney.
    So 2.5 hours to get there, 3 runs then 2.5 hours back home-lol.
    And now I happen to read this thread.
    I should have known the day was screwed- when I got there I realized I had brought 2 different boots. I have 2 pairs of black DC boots, though different models.
    At least I still had a left and a right-lol

mtbr member
    Knee pads?

Hurt my knee.

The White Jeff W
    Had a couple horrible crashes when I was a kid. Broke one arm and left a lot of skin behind on the pavement. 98% of the scars on my body are the result of bike crashes.
    No moss...

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by veryavgwhtguy
    Knee pads?

Hurt my knee.
    tis a scratch!

seriously though i see far too many of these threads to still not wear pads.

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    N* @ Tahoe back in the late 90's. When my Z.1 BAM 100mm travel FS bike was considered a pretty sweet bike for DH.

3:45pm, last lift at 4pm. Went down the bunny trail like a bat out of hell trying to make the last lift. A hiking family of five decided they were going to walk 4 abreast on the wide trail, so I had to make a course correction after yelling out "on the left!"

They moved over to reveal they were approaching one of the (then) relatively high water bars. And some of my friends walking up the trail, one with a camera.

I thought I was going to be slick and hit the water bar for a jump...... and everything went into slow motion as I watched my left foot which was a little too far forward get caught in my front tire as I was about to land. Needless to say.. OTB into a 30-ft slide.

Funny thing is, after the dust settled and I wiggled my extremities to check everything was OK, I popped up and first thing I had to check was my bike.. broken derailleur, hanger, bent handlebar.. then the warm liquid running down the side of my right arm and pooling into my glove kinda told me something else wasn't right.

6 staples took care of it in the short-term, 13 years later and I still have a scar running the length of my forearm though.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

GAME ON!
    i broke my collarbone as a n00b

mtbr member
    I caught a branch just below the ribs last year at full speed. It knocked the wind out of me and also took me off the bike. While I was laying there I thought it might have impaled my gut - if it was a little sharper it would have... My shirt was torn from the arm pit down and there was a non-trivial amount of blood. I got some strange looks at Chipolte on the way home when I stopped in for a burrito and my wife also had a few interesting words describing my priorities when she saw me walk in covered in blood with a burrito.

mtbr member
    Week ago. Surgery done on Thursday. Some screws, pins, and metal plates. Jumped down a cliff front and went over the bars. Braced myself with my arm and this is the end result...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What was your biggest accident?-xray-web.jpg  

“People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    I've got 2.

I was freeriding a stunt I had ridden a bunch. It was a jump onto a wood berm. The berm spanned 2 hills. I landed low on it and rode off the bottom and got drilled into the second hill. It hurt alot. I figured I just cracked a rib. Rode for another hour and went home. Sitting on the couch, the pain was getting worse and worse. I went to the hospital and waited for about 2 hours. I blacked out in the When I came to, they were working on me. I had ruptured my spleen and had massive internal bleeding. 3 days in ICU and another 4 in in a normal room. Worst week of my life.

2nd time I was on the first day of a week long trail riding trip. I opened it up on a super long downhill. At the bottom was a bareley elevated bridge (at least 3 ft wide) just put in place to span a low lying area full of jagged rocks. I came in hot and it was wet with leaves on it. I slid off it and got ejected at full speed into jagged rocks. Broke my knee cap into 3 pieces and disslocated my finger. 2 knee surgeries later finally almost back to normal.

Crashing sucks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Two years ago....rock garden.....broken Fibula and Tibula.....torn tendons, surgery, screws, blah blah blah......

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Washed out the front tire on landing a table top. Broke my collarbone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Cruising down an easy trail minding my own affairs when a limb plays dead right in front of me. Im thinking, " time to work on bunny hop". Clear front tire then I'm goin otb. I didn't pull back up fast enough and basically used the limb as a ramp for my back tire resulting in huge back tire air, me otb, and finally bike on top. No injuries but my friend behind me got a good laugh. Shake it off an keep going.

No known cure
    I hit a dirt bike head on a couple summers ago. Broke one wrist; severly sprained the other. Both were in casts. Destroyed my front triangle and new front wheel.

Next week, I'm having surgery on my knee that I tweaked during a crash at the Nevada St DH Championships.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Vader- bummer was he even supposed to be on the road?

My worst accident:

Coming down off the Mt Nebo loop Payson canyon road 1993. We were flying down the canyon road (two lane paved) with our buddy behind us in a truck. Who couldnt keep up as its fairly twistie and we could carry more speed into turns than he could. We were travelling at somewhere between 20-30 miles an hour...put us down for about 25mph.

My other friend and I come across some cattle grazining on both the left and right hand sides of the road. Long story short- the cattle freaked out started to run all over the road and I hit one, a big one, right in the shoulder blade:
    1) Separated Shoulder - 1st degree
    2) Collapsed Right Lung
    3) Pinched Sciatic Nerve in right leg - still get numb spots at times in thigh and calf
    4) Flipped about 10ft in air per buddy in truck who turned corner just in time to see me still clipped into my bike
    5) Landed on head - grade 1-2 concussion maybe grade 3 cant remember (LOL)
    6) Insult to injury the cattle stampeded over my stepping on my back fracturing the T8 through the L2 vertebrae....

mtbr member
    In September I broke my femur in a crash that shouldn't have hurt so much.

Here's what it looks like now. I've always wanted some titanium parts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What was your biggest accident?-femur.jpg  

功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

skaterqwertyuiop
    Haven't broken any bones yet, just bad trail/road rash

and now that the top scab is coming off
    It's not about what bike you ride, but how hard you tear it up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast