mtbr member
    Aug 2013

What year is this Trek 4900 Alpha?

What's up fellas? I am new to the forums here, and I have been biking on and off for quite some time now. I'm currently riding a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp M4 decked out with a full Fox suspension front to back.

Anyways, I have a question about a bike that my buddy is about to buy. It is a Trek 4-Series 4900 Alpha with disc brakes, and Deore wheels with 26s on them, and a few other aftermarket parts on it. The guy said its a 2009 model but I can't find anything online to confirm that. I'm wondering if anyone on here can tell me what year it is and if its worth the $420 that the man is asking for it. He won't budge on it either. He is firm on the price but the bike is in immaculate condition. He said it has less dings/knicks on the frame than his 2012 model. Looking forward to hearing from you all. Thanks!
    What year is this Trek 4900 Alpha?-image.jpg What year is this Trek 4900 Alpha?-image.jpgWhat year is this Trek 4900 Alpha?-image.jpgName:  image.jpg
Views: 2703
Size:  30.2 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I cannot find the year on Treks archive or Bikepedia, so not sure of year. But by looking just at what you posted, personally I would not pay $420 for it, MAYBE low to mid $300's, but I dont know the full specs besides the Manitou black fork and bb7's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky916 View Post
    I cannot find the year on Treks archive or Bikepedia, so not sure of year. But by looking just at what you posted, personally I would not pay $420 for it, MAYBE low to mid $300's, but I dont know the full specs besides the Manitou black fork and bb7's.
    Okay. Well, is it going to be a good bike or is it not worth his time? It looks real nice, but that's not always the case lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: What year is this Trek 4900 Alpha?

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch_85 View Post
    Okay. Well, is it going to be a good bike or is it not worth his time? It looks real nice, but that's not always the case lol.
    Decent bike. I wouldn't take it on very tech trails. But it would be a good first bike and good for xc trails and learning on. But the $400 price is too much imo

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    After some digging, the frame looks like it's from a 2003. However, BikePedia lists that the disc model came with Hayes mechanical brakes and a Rock Shox Pilot C fork. Maybe these items were upgraded and that's why the price is firm?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    It's a 2003 4900 Alpha. The seller is dreaming - I would not pay a dime over $220 for that bike, upgrades or not. The dead giveaway, are those add-on, rear disc tabs, and ancient, Avid BBDB mechanical disc brakes. For $450, there are BETTER bikes out there to be had.....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"