mtbr member
    Jul 2009

What would you pay for a 2004 K2 ZED 4.0?

In great condition...

Specs:

Brakes: Tektro linear-pull brakes, Avid AD 3 levers
    Front Forks: Answer Manitou Axel Comp, 80mm travel
    Shift Levers: Shimano Deore RapidFire
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
    Shimano PD-505 pedals
    Frame Size: 14"

Thanks..

banned
    $100 max. Nothing special in those bikes, junk fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey JC, thanks for the quick reply.. Being new to the whole MB, and I only want to be a weekend rider, I simply want to spend around $300 for a used bike. Anything you can recommend that is decent?

Any advice from others also appreciated..

Thanks again!

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Why don't you just go buy something new? You can get an entry level bike from Giant, Spec, Trek, or any number of other companies for around 350-400, and some for less. Then you can at least have some sort of warranty on the frame and parts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Excellent point scottap2003 but I felt that probably getting a used bike that was once purchased new for $800, would be an good start for a beginner. Any new bikes/models you would recommend?

Many thanks!

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudnoize
    Excellent point scottap2003 but I felt that probably getting a used bike that was once purchased new for $800, would be an good start for a beginner. Any new bikes/models you would recommend?

Many thanks!
    This one is $600 but comes with way better components than other bikes in the price range.
    And the frame is their higher end model.
    Only con on this is it's mail order only.
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-Details.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice Bike Strafer and thanks for your reply but budget is what it's all about at the moment. The use of the bike will be weekend and for very light trails. No jumping or any other heavy usage. I'm still looking for a great condition, although used $300 bike..

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a 2005 Hardrock Pro Disc I picked up for $300 used, so you should be able to get something similar for about that much but be careful and do your research on each bike before you go and look at it.

If the bike needs a tuneup and brake pads (which is very common in used bikes) that could be around $70, and for $370 you could have gotten a new bike with free tuneups/repairs and a warranty.

The key is to really research the bike before you buy it and check every point on the bike that people complain about, and to take it for a ride and check the function on EVERY gear and the brakes to see if it needs a tuneup.

$300 is just a tricky price range because it's so close to a new bike that if the used one you're looking at isn't perfect you might be better off buying something new. If possible bring an experienced rider with you that you know is a very picky person.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Your so right about the 300 price range being a tricky price range as I've actually seen some nice bikes and should have grabbed one at the time I was researching but knew too little about what I was getting. I've also see junk being sold for the same price though.

Let me ask this.. For $370 for a new bike, what can I get? I know this is very entry level but so am I. Any advice?

Thanks..

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Trek 820
    Trek 3700
    Specialized Hardrock

There's a lot of other bikes too but I'm really short on time right now.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    KHS makes a cheap bike in the 350 range, can't remember the model on it right now tho.
    Giant Boulder is about the same, or a Boulder SE (aluminum frame) for about 380.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks guys!! I'll definitely look into them!!

Happy 4th!!

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xufima
    I have a 2005 Hardrock Pro Disc I picked up for $300 used, so you should be able to get something similar for about that much but be careful and do your research on each bike before you go and look at it.

If the bike needs a tuneup and brake pads (which is very common in used bikes) that could be around $70, and for $370 you could have gotten a new bike with free tuneups/repairs and a warranty.

The key is to really research the bike before you buy it and check every point on the bike that people complain about, and to take it for a ride and check the function on EVERY gear and the brakes to see if it needs a tuneup.

$300 is just a tricky price range because it's so close to a new bike that if the used one you're looking at isn't perfect you might be better off buying something new. If possible bring an experienced rider with you that you know is a very picky person.
    Nice advice there, but to add...

It isn't just the $300 price range that is tricky. Every range of prices has different attributes that every individual must consider. When you are an enthusiast (like most on this forum), you consider your purchases so carefully that people in the outside world (you know, the ones who buy the blue bike because they like the color) might think you are a little kooky. I spent much more time considering my last bike purchase than my last car purchase. Yes, I am obsessed, but I know I am not the only one.

Anyway, yeah, you have to look at the value of the bike to YOU. I spent 3 years riding a bike that I bought used, in new condition, for $65. I loved it-best $65 dollars I ever spent, but honestly it was and is a piece of junk. Fun can't be measured in dollars and cents, though. The bikes I have now are much higher in purchase price AND upgrades because there is value in that to ME. I really like my bikes... honestly my wife is jealous sometimes.

But seriously, if you just want a pedal-around bike, find something in good shape, new or used, whatever. If you don't have a good relationship with a bike shop, be ready to do all your wrenching yourself (which really isn't much for light use).

If you ask for buying advice on an enthusiasts' forum like this, you are going to be told to buy the best bike you can possibly afford, because many of us have been in your position, then decided we wanted something nicer.

With all that being said, look for an entry-level hardtail from a major brand. If the budget is really tight, try looking for a leftover model-you may save money AND get a nicer bike. Even if you do get a nicer bike in the future, that cheap old hardtail bike will always be around as a spare for a friend or a backup when the other bike is down.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Words have never been truer than what Uncle Six Pack has mentioned. Being a beginner, the last couple weeks have been brutal, to say the least. I can't believe how addictive this sport can be, lol. I've been told by many that anything under $400 for a new bike is usually crap and I can respect that. It's like anything else out there... You buy cheap, you get cheap.. So a decent entry level bike would seem to be around the $700 price range. This is over what I had in mind.. I'm still encouraged to look online (Recycler, Craigslist, etc) and find a good bike and start with that.

You guys rock and thanks for your advice!

Happy 4th!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Words have never been truer than what Uncle Six Pack has mentioned. Being a beginner, the last couple weeks have been brutal, to say the least. I can't believe how addictive this sport can be, lol. I've been told by many that anything under $400 for a new bike is usually crap and I can respect that. It's like anything else out there... You buy cheap, you get cheap.. So a decent entry level bike would seem to be around the $700 price range. This is over what I had in mind.. I'm still encouraged to look online (Recycler, Craigslist, etc) and find a good bike and start with that.

You guys rock and thanks for your advice!

Happy 4th!!!!!
    That positive attitude alone will get you far, most people just think it's ridiculous to spend more than $100 on a new bike. I know a few like that, they all spend thousands a year booze/drugs/musical instruments. Sure as a beginner and even as an enthusiast you probably won't ever really need a multi-thousand dollar bike, that's fine they aren't for everyone. A bike is an investment in yourself, most people can't understand that.

trail addict
    So a decent entry level bike would seem to be around the $700 price range. This is over what I had in mind.. I'm still encouraged to look online (Recycler, Craigslist, etc) and find a good bike and start with that.
    I think you could do better than $700 if you can find a dealer that will contact the distributors to find out about leftover models. You may make out even better if the shop has a bike that has been sitting on the showroom floor for a year or more. Different shops have different inventories, so call around. You might luck out.

The nice thing is that the lower hardtails change very little from year to year-so you are buying basically the same frame, still new (warrantee, etc), but they want to get rid of those old models before they drop even more in value.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack
    The nice thing is that the lower hardtails change very little from year to year-so you are buying basically the same frame, still new (warrantee, etc), but they want to get rid of those old models before they drop even more in value.
    This is good info regarding models which change very little, year to year on lower end bikes and I would have thought all bikes had a significant upgrade, even entry level to some degree. Time for me to go shopping!

You guys have been great and I do appreciate your input.

Cheers!